Good PC For Old Gaming?

G

My goal is to be able to at least play GTA 4, LA Noire, Max Payne 3 and BF3 with this setup from CyberPower. And I said old gaming becuase I consider half of those games old. I have older games that work with this current setup that run just fine with no lag, but the ones I listed I cannot play.

BLUETOOTH:None

CARE1:professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

CAS:Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)

CASUPGRADE:None

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CD2:None

COOLANT:Standard Coolant

CPU:AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+54]

CS_FAN:Default case fans

ENGRAVING:Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [+0] (Courier New)

ENGRAVING_MSG:MI6 Agent 009

FA_HDD:None

FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

FLASHMEDIA:None

FREEBIE_CS:None

FREEBIE_VC1:FREE DiRT Showdown Game Coupon [+0]

FREEBIE_VC2:FREE Game - Deus Ex: Human Revolution [+0]

FREEBIE_VC3:FREE! AMD T-Shirt [+0]

FREEGAME_VC02:FREE DarkSiders Game Coupon [+0]

GLASSES:None

HDD:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

HDD2:None

IEEE_CARD:None

IUSB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD:Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

MEMORY:8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [-2] (Corsair or Major Brand)

MONITOR:None

MONITOR2:None

MONITOR3:None

MOTHERBOARD:* [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

MOUSE:XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

NETWORK:Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

NOISEREDUCE1:power Supply Gasket [+5]

NOISEREDUCE2:Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]

OVERCLOCK:No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY:800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+37]

RUSH:NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE:STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS:None [-5]

TEMP:None

TVRC:None

USB:None

USBFLASH:None

USBHD:None

USBX:None

VIDEO:AMD Radeon HD 7750 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

VIDEO2:None

VIDEO3:None

WNC:None

Thank you all.

Solution
I do believe that if you buy your parts from NCIX, you can pay to have someone put them together. Alternatively, if you make an announcement anywhere where there are a lot of geeky high school kids (like me), I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to put it together for about $30. Just make sure they know what they're doing... I've met a bunch who have NO idea what's going on but act like they do. Basically, you could save a BUNCH of money by just buying the components.

The 7750 will make all of your games PLAYABLE. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750-benchmark,3135-6.html

For most games, you'll be able to play at high settings at about 40fps... which is actually pretty nice.
G

Crap, Cyberpower PC doesn't give me an Intel CPU option, I want all my settings I have to stay the way it is, can an Intel Build provide that for me. Or can I just mark BF3 for PC out and just stick with my 360 for that.

G

No, It's just easier to pay for someone to do it for you! LOL. Anyways, I have BF3 on 360. I'm not a major PC gamer anyway. So I'll live, as for the other games please?

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
I do believe that if you buy your parts from NCIX, you can pay to have someone put them together. Alternatively, if you make an announcement anywhere where there are a lot of geeky high school kids (like me), I'm sure they'd be ecstatic to put it together for about $30. Just make sure they know what they're doing... I've met a bunch who have NO idea what's going on but act like they do. Basically, you could save a BUNCH of money by just buying the components.

The 7750 will make all of your games PLAYABLE. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750-benchmark,3135-6.html

For most games, you'll be able to play at high settings at about 40fps... which is actually pretty nice.

Solution
G

OK, thank you. You're the only one who didn't beat around the bush on this one! Thx!

G

The stupid Father's day deal expired, so here is my NEEW setup.

BLUETOOTH:None

CARE1:professional Wiring for All WIRING Inside The System Chassis - Minimize Cable Exposure, Maximize Airflow in Your System [+19]

CAS:Thermaltake Commander Mid-Tower Gaming Case (Black Color)

CASUPGRADE:None

CD:24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+-R/+-RW + CD-R/RW Drive (BLACK COLOR)

CD2:None

COOLANT:Standard Coolant

CPU:AMD FX-6100 3.30 GHz Six-Core AM3+ CPU 6MB L2 Cache & Turbo Core Technology [+60]

CS_FAN:Default case fans

ENGRAVING:Custom Message - Max 35 characters (including spaces) [+0] (Courier New)

ENGRAVING_MSG:MI6 Agent 009

FA_HDD:None

FAN:Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA) (Single Standard 120MM Fan)

FLASHMEDIA:None

FREEBIE_CS:None

FREEBIE_VC1:FREE DiRT Showdown Game Coupon [+0]

FREEBIE_VC2:FREE Game - Deus Ex: Human Revolution [+0]

FREEBIE_VC3:FREE! AMD T-Shirt [+0]

FREEGAME_VC02:FREE DarkSiders Game Coupon [+0]

GLASSES:None

HDD:1TB SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

HDD2:None

IEEE_CARD:None

IUSB:Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

KEYBOARD:Xtreme Gear (Black Color) Multimedia/Internet USB Keyboard

MEMORY:8GB (2GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory [-2] (Corsair or Major Brand)

MONITOR:None

MONITOR2:None

MONITOR3:None

MOTHERBOARD:* [CrossFireX] GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AMD 970 Socket AM3+ ATX Mainboard w/ On/Off Charge, 7.1 Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe X16, 3 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI

MOUSE:XtremeGear Optical USB 3 Buttons Gaming Mouse

NETWORK:Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

NOISEREDUCE1:power Supply Gasket [+5]

NOISEREDUCE2:Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts [+9]

OVERCLOCK:No Overclocking

POWERSUPPLY:800 Watts - Standard Power Supply - SLI/CrossFireX Ready [+37]

RUSH:NO; READY TO SHIP IN 10~15 BUSINESS DAYS

SERVICE:STANDARD WARRANTY: 3-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY PLUS LIFE-TIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT

SOUND:HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

SPEAKERS:None [-5]

TEMP:None

TVRC:None

USB:None

USBFLASH:None

USBHD:None

USBX:None

VIDEO:AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card [+0] (Major Brand Powered by AMD)

VIDEO2:None

VIDEO3:None

WNC:None

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
That PSU is WAY too much. Are you sure you want liquid cooling? Also, it looks like you're trying to get a silent build... if so, then I would DEFINITELY recommend building your own. You can't get anything quiet without special (not expensive, but special... still available on newegg and stuff) parts such as a Noctua CPU cooler, Noctua fans, a Fractal R3, SSD(possibly), a quiet PSU, a quiet GPU, etc.

G

I was just fooling around with what stuff I could get extra. When I saw those I thought, hmm, why not? I wouldn't jump the gun and assume things, no offensse. And I was recommended liquid cooling. I know NOTHING about it. I tried researching it, but I have no idea how to use it, or if I need to maintain it, like e.g. add water to it daily.

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Oh, you don't need to maintain it. It's just that there's the risk of... y'know... a leak.... and it costs extra... and it's not even that good...

How much more expensive is it than air? It's not really necessary. Better, but not by much.

G

I can get a AMD ATHLON64 CERTIFIED CPU FAN & HEATSINK for $33 less

G

nope, and BTW, I got the 7770 now, can I still run those games I listed in the op besides BF3?

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Oh, hold on, you can get ANY CPU fan if you're not overclocking. Get the cheapest one. And yes, the 7770 will be fine for ALL the games on medium-high settings, and certain ones on max. If you turn down AA, then you'll be fine on high settings for more (meaning 45fps and higher). 30fps is playable, by the way.

G

OK thank you! I wish CyberPowerPC had actual MODERN game benchmarks:

Show performance on:
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (normal) 81
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (high) 81
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (extra) 80
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (medium) 74
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (high) 66
StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty (ultra) 62
FurMark Benchmark 52

That is my CPU and Graphics card benchmark

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
:eek:

I forgot how much more taxing games had gotten! The 7770 is pretty low-end as GPUs, go, and yet... whoa! I'm on a six year old laptop right now with IGP and 1GB of RAM... I can't run CoD4!

FYI, you'll be able to RUN anything. On playable settings and speeds.

G

Good god I am sorry to hear that, my current rig is
Motherboard: ASUS: M2N61-AR
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-Bit
NIVIDA GeForce 9500 GT 1GB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ 2.9 GHZ
RAM: 1918 MB

But again thank you, and I know my way around frames per second, 30 fps is playable, if I can at least play GTA 4 or LA Noire at those settings fine, I'll be alright. And you may look at my current rig above and say, I can run those. Trust me, I can't for the life of me. LOL

ddan49

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Oh, you can play both of those at 60+fps on at least high settings. If you have a dedicated GPU, you can play just about anything on low settings. I'm building a great desktop in about two weeks (with a 7850!). $850 budget is the sweet spot

G

I found a BF3 video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJBd8TVi1GA) with the card I was set to buy now (7770) and the lowest CPU (FX 4100, I have set the FX-6100) you can choose and it runs great while recording with fraps! Yipee! That means I should do great with the setup I choose! Yea!

mojorisin23

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2012
You will not be able to play GTA4 with Win 7. they are not compatible.

also, on that build, change RAM to 4gb x 2, and get a named brand, not "major brand". i would also change to an Intel configurator, AMD is terrible.
If you get it engraved, you will not be able to return it. nix that. lose that water cooler, its terrible, and its not needed if you are not overclocking. get a Hyper EVO 212 or a thermaltake FRIO air cooler. Also add Max Default Case Fans for +9.
The power gasket, wiring, and anti vibration mounts are worthless. save your money. if anything, get the shipping foam to protect the inside. consider it insurance that you won't have to send it back if its damaged during shipping ( which they won't accept if its engraved).

as for the video card, the more powerful the better, obviously and its been beatin to death here....

G

I have solved this problem so I am going to disregard your comment, and BTW, research your work next time, I used to have installed GTA 4, and the 1.0.7.0 patch fixes the Windows 7 problems. My friend has the same OS as seen in the OP. And he runs GTA 4 fine with the latest patch. Good day.