So, I bought myself a 6600...

Tags:
Last response: in Brands
June 24, 2004 1:11:36 PM

I've had Nokias before, but recently switched to Samsung, although deep down I
always fancied a 6600. A friend was selling hers so I bought it. I assumed that
Nokia would have sorted out their software by now, but it seems I was mistaken.

So, I have a working IrDA connection (my Samsung works flawlessly with it), my
computer can see the 6600 and transfer files to it, but PC Suite can't connect.
And I have a phone with no contacts in it.
(The previous owner also left a photo of herself in the bath, but that's another
story...)

I'm using PC Suite for Nokia 6600 ver 1.0.0

I've backed up my contacts to a text file, which looks like:

"Name","PhoneNumber","Home Tel","Office Tel","Fax No","Other
Tel","E-Mail","URL","Memo
"Anching","0916390xxxx","","","","",""," ",""
"Clark","0917321xxxx","","084218xxxx","","",""," ",""

etc.

Is there an easy way to get this into my new phone? Unfortunately the samsung
doesn't have an option to copy all to the SIM, only from SIM to phone. Any
decent third party software, or is there a way to make PC Suite work? (Win XP
pro BTW).
Might I have better results if I invest in a bluetooth dongle?
The IR keeps dropping anyway, although it's flawlessly with the Samsung.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net

More about : bought 6600

Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:11:37 PM

Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message news:<k29kd0hn17oq2nkkltqqqg4is39l1pbn2p@4ax.com>...
> I've had Nokias before, but recently switched to Samsung, although deep down I
> always fancied a 6600. A friend was selling hers so I bought it. I assumed that
> Nokia would have sorted out their software by now, but it seems I was mistaken.
>
> So, I have a working IrDA connection (my Samsung works flawlessly with it), my
> computer can see the 6600 and transfer files to it, but PC Suite can't connect.
> And I have a phone with no contacts in it.
> (The previous owner also left a photo of herself in the bath, but that's another
> story...)
>
> I'm using PC Suite for Nokia 6600 ver 1.0.0
>
> I've backed up my contacts to a text file, which looks like:
>
> "Name","PhoneNumber","Home Tel","Office Tel","Fax No","Other
> Tel","E-Mail","URL","Memo
> "Anching","0916390xxxx","","","","",""," ",""
> "Clark","0917321xxxx","","084218xxxx","","",""," ",""
>
> etc.
>
> Is there an easy way to get this into my new phone? Unfortunately the samsung
> doesn't have an option to copy all to the SIM, only from SIM to phone. Any
> decent third party software, or is there a way to make PC Suite work? (Win XP
> pro BTW).
> Might I have better results if I invest in a bluetooth dongle?
> The IR keeps dropping anyway, although it's flawlessly with the Samsung.

This is common .CSV format. We've enabled import from .CSV files in
the latest version of Oxygen Phone Manager for Symbian OS phones. You
can download the trial version here: http://www.opm-2.com/symbian/

Just install the program, connect the phone, as specified in 'Help

Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
info@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.opm-2.com/
http://www.oxygensoftware.com/
June 24, 2004 1:11:37 PM

Christopher Pollard <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message news:<k29kd0hn17oq2nkkltqqqg4is39l1pbn2p@4ax.com>...
> I've had Nokias before, but recently switched to Samsung, although deep down I
> always fancied a 6600. A friend was selling hers so I bought it. I assumed that
> Nokia would have sorted out their software by now, but it seems I was mistaken.
>
> So, I have a working IrDA connection (my Samsung works flawlessly with it), my
> computer can see the 6600 and transfer files to it, but PC Suite can't connect.
> And I have a phone with no contacts in it.
> (The previous owner also left a photo of herself in the bath, but that's another
> story...)
>
> I'm using PC Suite for Nokia 6600 ver 1.0.0
>
> I've backed up my contacts to a text file, which looks like:
>
> "Name","PhoneNumber","Home Tel","Office Tel","Fax No","Other
> Tel","E-Mail","URL","Memo
> "Anching","0916390xxxx","","","","",""," ",""
> "Clark","0917321xxxx","","084218xxxx","","",""," ",""
>
> etc.
>
> Is there an easy way to get this into my new phone? Unfortunately the samsung
> doesn't have an option to copy all to the SIM, only from SIM to phone. Any
> decent third party software, or is there a way to make PC Suite work? (Win XP
> pro BTW).
> Might I have better results if I invest in a bluetooth dongle?
> The IR keeps dropping anyway, although it's flawlessly with the Samsung.

This is common .CSV format. We've enabled import from .CSV files in
the latest version of Oxygen Phone Manager for Symbian OS phones. You
can download the trial version here: http://www.opm-2.com/symbian/

Just install the program, connect the phone, as specified in 'Help

Best regards, Maxim Vyalkov
info@oxygensoftware.com
http://www.opm-2.com/
http://www.oxygensoftware.com/
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 9:03:41 PM

On Thu, 24 Jun 2004 07:58:54 GMT, "Puuha-Pete" <puuhapete100@suomi24.fi> wrote:

>Have you tried new version of pc suite?

Not yet...
I'll give it a try and report back, thanks.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 9:53:25 PM

Update.
I got it working by messing around with the advanced settings on my IR thingie.

SigmaTel USB-IrDA Dongle

Tranceiver type: SigmaTel 4012 (default)

available options ST 4000, ST4012 and Vishay TFD

Min Turn-Around Time 1.0mS (default)
available options 0.5, 1, 5, 10 mS

Speed Enable: 4000000
available options
2400 9600 19200 38400 57600 115200

Eventually I settled on 4000,1,38400 and it seems ok.

To my dismay, I found that there is no option to edit the contacts. :-(

In the end, I used my wife's samsung to copy my backup to my SIM, tehn
transferred it to the 6600 and copied all to the phone. Almost worked, but all
numbers are listed as mobile, rather than office /home etc.

Still, beter than nothing.

Chris Pollard

http://www.cginternet.net
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 3:27:38 PM

"Christopher Pollard" <rubbish@cginternet.net> wrote in message:

> I've had Nokias before, but recently switched to Samsung, although
> deep down I always fancied a 6600. A friend was selling hers so I
> bought it. I assumed that Nokia would have sorted out their software
> by now, but it seems I was mistaken.

Interesting. My last phone was a 6600 and I had endless problems with
both Bluetooth and IrDA. Nokia PC Suite for the 6600 was absolute trash,
and generated countless errors.

In the end I gave up and eBayed the 6600. Now have a 6230 (uses a different
version of PC Suite) and have no problems whatsoever. It really does feel
like they took the 6600 (minus the nice big screen) and fixed everything
and added a good mp3 player.

An interesting experience given that both phones come from the same
company...

Elessar
!