Oxxe

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Hi, I'm building a new computer and I was wondering what everyone thought about it. Do all the core pieces complement each other? Is there anything I can improve or is everything okay.

I want this thing to play current and maybe some near future games. I also might want to upgrade the processor to the new ivy bridge at some point so I left that option open.

Here is the link to the build, I also would like to know what type of power supply I would need: http://secure.newegg.ca/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=14786729

Thanks

edit: is there any component that may bottleneck the system? I started with the processor and kind of added parts to complement it as best I could.

edit2: Just saw the stickied thread at the top so here it goes:

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 months

Budget Range: 1500-1600 CAD

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Current and near future games

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca

Parts Preferences: N/A

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: N/A

Looks pretty good, but if you drop the mobo to an ASRock Z77 Extreme4 (which will have virtually no impact on your performance), you can save enough money to bump the GPU to a 670.
Also, only spend that much on the case if you really love its design.

Oxxe

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Thanks for the reply, and noted.

Am I okay with the SSD, 120gb really doesn't seem like much. I was thinking of maybe adding a HDD for music/pictures/moves/etc and leaving the crucial and most used things like Windows 7 on the SSD to take advantage of it's performance.

Oxxe

Honorable
Jun 18, 2012
Okay, so I dropped the Z68 in favour of the ASrock Z77 Extreme4. I saved around $50. What's the difference between the two? Z68 is older, what exactly does it have to justify the $50 increase from the Z77?

Also what type of power supply should I be looking for? Is an aftermarket cpu cooler a good idea or is the stock unit okay?

I still have to add a good HDD as well. Still looking.

cranked

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2012

Z68 is designed for use with the Sandy Bridge chips. The Z77 chipset is for IB and gives you extra features like PCI-3.0.

For a power supply, stick to Corsair, Seasonic, Antec, XFX. For your build, 550W is plenty. I usually get a little more depending on cost just to have a little breathing room, but don't go over 600ish unless you have plans to SLI down the road. If you intend to SLI, a 750W will do you good.

For HDD, WD caviar blue/black, seagate barracuda or similar. Get a SATA2, no need for a SATA3 drive, it won't utilize the full bandwidth anyway.