Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire Radeon 7950 noisy

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 23, 2012 9:28:12 PM

Does anyone have an idea why my 7950 is making this weird noise. It does this when I'm not gaming but goes away when I start playing Starcraft II.

Here's a video of the noise. The noise sounds similar to a hard drive loading.

www.youtube.com/v/xi7yGi-a7cc
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 9:29:41 PM

Are you sure its the GPU and not something else?
m
l
April 23, 2012 10:00:25 PM

Thats where the noise is coming from. Im 95% sure its the GPU. It gets louder at times too.
m
l
Related resources
a c 173 U Graphics card
April 23, 2012 10:49:45 PM

liteweight said:
Thats where the noise is coming from. Im 95% sure its the GPU. It gets louder at times too.

The gpu can't emit noise, the choke coils certainly do and sometimes there can be a slight buzz elsewhere in the card's power vrm but beyond that the only thing else that can do that is the fan bearings. People need to grow an imagination and some skill on the side to fix problems creatively rather than being hopeless. You can try to cool the chokes on the card either by making your own or finding a plate that can mount on top of the choke coils to cool them while helping to reduce noise. If any of the mosfets in the power vrm that feed the gpu and vram are not directly cooled by a plate or heatsink address that right away to improve life as well stability of the card.
m
l
April 23, 2012 11:20:35 PM

try checking the fans is that a direct cu 2 if soo my 6970 one fan made a noise close to that while idle and in game didnt make a noise
m
l
April 23, 2012 11:41:15 PM

disaster101 said:
try checking the fans is that a direct cu 2 if soo my 6970 one fan made a noise close to that while idle and in game didnt make a noise

did you ever get the noise to go away?
m
l
April 23, 2012 11:49:49 PM

not easy to stop it but what i did was i bent the metal cover slightly to move it away that worked but hold one of the fans to see if it is that first
m
l
April 24, 2012 12:19:01 AM

well. i figured out the problem. it was the fan speed. I messed with the fan speed setting and turned speed below 48% at idle temperature.

Do they make a spray to lubricate the fans? silicone spray?
m
l
!