Sign in with
Your question

How to identify cause of random PC Frezes

Last response: in Components
October 22, 2012 10:59:19 AM

Hello,
I am facing this really strange irksome problem for some time now....my PC (Win 7 32 bit, Intel dual core, gigabyte intel 945 chipset motherboard, ATI 4350 card, 300 gb seagate hdd, 2 gb ram) just freezes up at random time.

For days my pc will run ok but suddenly this freezing problems arise, usually i open up the pc casing, remove the ram, rub it with an eraser and put it back and the problem used to go away....but it has become a bit severe in the past two days....it just refuses to work properly

Also, i tried various memory diagnostic tools like : memtest, the one provided by MS in the installation disc, etc and they all show that there isnt any problem with the RAM. I have also tried HDD diagnostic tools (from seagate btw) which also lead me nowhere...
Now i'm not a total noob at PC but the hardware issues are not my forte exactly. i cant figure out where the problem lies exactly cos the diagnostics do not point to my RAM and HDD....although i'm not too sure of the hdd

anything that can be done to find the cause ??

More about : identify random frezes

October 22, 2012 11:09:46 AM

300gb hdds now belong in an era long past. I suggest upgrading to a nice, roomy 1TB, preferably Western Digital, Caviar Blue.
m
l
October 22, 2012 11:43:36 AM

What kind of power supply do you have? How old is it? Brand/Model would help a lot. A failing PSU can cause random freezing problems. Or a high Watt consumption would cause errors.

Check drivers, ensure they're not conflicting in device manager. Update them or downgrade them and check for stability.

Especially check video card drivers.

Some graphics cards could fail.

Ram is often a culprit, but you'll have program errors more than windows failing. Reduce RAM speed in BIOS by downclocking a bit and check for stability.

Motherboard could be having problems sending proper voltages, again, it leads to PSU in most cases.

Check your CPU's temperature, make sure it's not HIGH.

Ram is cheap nowadays, you can buy it at low cost or on sale. For Windows (any) 32-bit, 4 GB is enough, but beyond is best with 64-bit system.

Check for malware (viruses), do a startup scan prior to windows loading.

Use your logic.
m
l
Related resources
October 22, 2012 11:49:27 AM

nanzer said:
300gb hdds now belong in an era long past. I suggest upgrading to a nice, roomy 1TB, preferably Western Digital, Caviar Blue.

nanzer, i already have one 1 TB external and one 2 TB external....they are used for portable data storage....i have kept 300 gb for my pc just cos i don't store much on it and keeping room in case i have to download something huge....but i don't think that should be an issue....
m
l
October 22, 2012 11:52:59 AM

mcaalrington said:
What kind of power supply do you have? How old is it? Brand/Model would help a lot. A failing PSU can cause random freezing problems. Or a high Watt consumption would cause errors.

Check drivers, ensure they're not conflicting in device manager. Update them or downgrade them and check for stability.

Especially check video card drivers.

Some graphics cards could fail.

Ram is often a culprit, but you'll have program errors more than windows failing. Reduce RAM speed in BIOS by downclocking a bit and check for stability.

Motherboard could be having problems sending proper voltages, again, it leads to PSU in most cases.

Check your CPU's temperature, make sure it's not HIGH.

Ram is cheap nowadays, you can buy it at low cost or on sale. For Windows (any) 32-bit, 4 GB is enough, but beyond is best with 64-bit system.

Check for malware (viruses), do a startup scan prior to windows loading.

Use your logic.

mcaalrington, i have checked the drivers (i specifically tried to update the video drivers and got the "the drivers are updated" message. I ran all those stress testing tools as mentioned in my first post....and there are no malwares...i'm sure of it....
As for the motherboard, how do i check that ?? and about the temperatures....what should be the proper values ??
m
l
October 22, 2012 1:40:52 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably the power supply.
m
l
October 22, 2012 1:56:17 PM

Yeah! probably your PSU. my friend have an issue like this and when he replaced it with the new one. Problem solved! :) 

I suggest buy Corsair cx500 v2 or V1
m
l
October 22, 2012 1:58:18 PM

@thrasher32 & dudeknows : how do i check whether it really is my PSU ?? anyway to confirm this....
m
l
October 25, 2012 8:51:01 AM

just an update....i opened up my PC and checked by removing each component and starting the pc....found that the problem was with the Graphic card....its fan is not spinning....which heats up and hence the constant freezes or so i think....i have removed the card and am just confirming it.....now i need to know how to replace the fan....but that's a different thread i guess.....thanks for your help guys.....

Moderators : can you please close this thread...
m
l
!