20D pictures rotated 90 degrees

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 29, 2005 12:38:44 AM

Hi
I have a Canon EOS 20D and when I take a picture looking exactly straight
down, the picture views as it should but when the picture is taken the
picture is rotated 90 degrees and also not full frame. When I shift a few
degrees up, the picture is the way it should be. I am trying to find out if
this is a problem with my camera or is this the way they all are.
Thank you for your response.
Jimp
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:14:28 PM

ji wrote:

> Hi
> I have a Canon EOS 20D and when I take a picture looking exactly straight
> down, the picture views as it should but when the picture is taken the
> picture is rotated 90 degrees and also not full frame. When I shift a few
> degrees up, the picture is the way it should be. I am trying to find out if
> this is a problem with my camera or is this the way they all are.
> Thank you for your response.
> Jimp

The 20D, along with the 300D and the D70 - cameras I know about - have
an orientation sensor in the camera which apparently works with
gravity. It encodes the image so that when viewed, the image is right
way up, both on the lcd screen and with image viewers. I would guess
that when your camera is pointing straight down, the sensor is assuming
a vertical image, hence the rotation.

There is in the camera menu the ability to turn auto-orientation off, so
all shots appear full-frame on the lcd. The downside is that vertical
shots will appear sideways when you view them.

Colin D.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:14:29 PM

"Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> ji wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>> I have a Canon EOS 20D and when I take a picture looking exactly straight
>> down, the picture views as it should but when the picture is taken the
>> picture is rotated 90 degrees and also not full frame. When I shift a few
>> degrees up, the picture is the way it should be. I am trying to find out
>> if
>> this is a problem with my camera or is this the way they all are.
>> Thank you for your response.
>> Jimp
>
> The 20D, along with the 300D and the D70 - cameras I know about - have
> an orientation sensor in the camera which apparently works with
> gravity. It encodes the image so that when viewed, the image is right
> way up, both on the lcd screen and with image viewers. I would guess
> that when your camera is pointing straight down, the sensor is assuming
> a vertical image, hence the rotation.
>
> There is in the camera menu the ability to turn auto-orientation off, so
> all shots appear full-frame on the lcd. The downside is that vertical
> shots will appear sideways when you view them.
>
> Colin D.

How did we ever manage back in the old days when such marvels were
unavailable.
Related resources
July 29, 2005 5:14:29 PM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 13:14:28 +1200, Colin D wrote:

> The 20D, along with the 300D and the D70 - cameras I know about - have
> an orientation sensor in the camera which apparently works with
> gravity. It encodes the image so that when viewed, the image is right
> way up, both on the lcd screen and with image viewers. I would guess
> that when your camera is pointing straight down, the sensor is assuming
> a vertical image, hence the rotation.
>
> There is in the camera menu the ability to turn auto-orientation off, so
> all shots appear full-frame on the lcd. The downside is that vertical
> shots will appear sideways when you view them.

I recommend turning auto-orientation off, because many graphics
applications do not recognize the encoding. What's worse, when you rotate
an encoded image in some apps, they don't change the encoding to reflect
this.

In other words, use of this feature can lead to chaos. You're never quite
sure how an image will display or print, especially when you send it to
someone else.

Pete
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:38:32 PM

Rudy Benner wrote:

> "Colin D" <ColinD@killspam.127.0.0.1> wrote in message
> >

> > ji wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >> I have a Canon EOS 20D and when I take a picture looking exactly straight
> >> down, the picture views as it should but when the picture is taken the
> >> picture is rotated 90 degrees and also not full frame. When I shift a few
> >> degrees up, the picture is the way it should be. I am trying to find out
> >> if
> >> this is a problem with my camera or is this the way they all are.
> >> Thank you for your response.
> >> Jimp
> >
> > The 20D, along with the 300D and the D70 - cameras I know about - have
> > an orientation sensor in the camera which apparently works with
> > gravity. It encodes the image so that when viewed, the image is right
> > way up, both on the lcd screen and with image viewers. I would guess
> > that when your camera is pointing straight down, the sensor is assuming
> > a vertical image, hence the rotation.
> >
> > There is in the camera menu the ability to turn auto-orientation off, so
> > all shots appear full-frame on the lcd. The downside is that vertical
> > shots will appear sideways when you view them.
> >
> > Colin D.
>
> How did we ever manage back in the old days when such marvels were
> unavailable.

Aaahh, well, it was easier to turn a print 90 degrees than pick up a
20-kilo 19-inch monitor and turn it 90 degrees ...

Colin D.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:55:30 AM

Hi Colin, Rudy, & Pete
Thank you all for your replies. I thought there was something wrong with my
camera. I made the change as specified and everything is great.
Thanks again and best wishes.
Jim

!