460W not enough for 6870?

Hey,

few months ago i bought a Radeon HD 6870. I installed the drivers and it seems to work fine but when Im gaming I got some small laggs. When i start walking im getting huge fps drops. What can be the problem of this? I was thinking on the web it says Radeon HD 6870 needs a 500W+ psu, i have a 460W psu.. Can this be the problem? Or maybe its my 1333 MHz DDR3 4gb ram?

Greets
17 answers Last reply
More about 460w 6870
  1. 500w from which comapmy & at 12v rail how much amp
  2. When you say 460W, I'm kind of afraid to ask but is it a CoolerMaster Elite460? If so there's a high chance it will die if you run a 6870 on it. I wouldn't try anything more than a 6850 on even a decent 450W.
  3. panfluit said:
    Hey,

    few months ago i bought a Radeon HD 6870. I installed the drivers and it seems to work fine but when Im gaming I got some small laggs. When i start walking im getting huge fps drops. What can be the problem of this? I was thinking on the web it says Radeon HD 6870 needs a 500W+ psu, i have a 460W psu.. Can this be the problem? Or maybe its my 1333 MHz DDR3 4gb ram?

    Greets


    Hi - If that 460w is the Coolermaster PSU that unlimitedbanana is referring, then that is most likely
    your problem. I pulled that model out of my PC for several reasons, one of which is it doesn't
    deliver rated power.

    Tom

    That goes for both 460w elite and extreme plus.
  4. toyftw said:
    Hi - If that 460w is the Coolermaster PSU that unlimitedbanana is referring, then that is most likely
    your problem. I pulled that model out of my PC for several reasons, one of which is it doesn't
    deliver rated power.

    Tom

    That goes for both 460w elite and extreme plus.

    You and I seem to be discussing PSU's a lot on these forums lately :)
  5. UnlimitedBanana said:
    You and I seem to be discussing PSU's a lot on these forums lately :)


    Yeah, it's the only category I did extensive study of when deciding to repl my Crappermaster 460.

    Tom
  6. I hate to say this but it is a coolermaster lol! would you recommend a recom 600 plus? Not a really expensive one but 600W must do the job I think? My brother has one and running same gpu not problems at all.
  7. panfluit said:
    I hate to say this but it is a coolermaster lol! would you recommend a recom 600 plus? Not a really expensive one but 600W must do the job I think? My brother has one and running same gpu not problems at all.

    That one appears to be completely crap. Why not just go for a 500W Corsair and know you've got a good PSU, rather than go for a crappy brand that doesn't have any decent products and worry about it dieing on you?
    ~UnlimitedBanana
  8. Can you link me some decent ones for bout 50 euro?
  9. panfluit said:
    Can you link me some decent ones for bout 50 euro?

    What country are you in, that way I know where to look.
  10. The Netherlands
  11. OCZ Voeding CoreXStream 500W maybe?
  12. Did you use driversweeper 1st, before you installed fresh gfx drivers.
    I've seen these problems on friends pc's when they have not cleaned old drivers before installing fresh one's.
  13. Yes I did pretty sure my psu is the problem
  14. Hey mate. Since I only know of one dutch site, I tried to find the best Value PSU on there. It came down to a Be Quiet 450W vs Corsair 430W and I though that the better choice would be the Be Quiet, so here it is http://www.alternate.nl/html/product/be_quiet!/System_PowersupS6-sup_450W/154850/?tk=7&lk=3891
    It's only 450W, but Be Quiet are a good PSU manufacturer so I have no doubt it will put out or even surpass the 450W mark, and It's not expensive either.
  15. Hey thanks for checking for me! Been looking myself for a bit on www.4launch.nl (site where i use to buy my parts) got 3 that have took my attention
    1: http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-125460 from OCZ
    2: http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-129940 from Corsair
    3: http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-123659 from Be Quiet
    I hope the first one aint crap becus its on sale atm so i could get a nice deal
  16. panfluit said:
    Hey thanks for checking for me! Been looking myself for a bit on www.4launch.nl (site where i use to buy my parts) got 3 that have took my attention
    1: http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-125460 from OCZ
    2: http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-129940 from Corsair
    3: http://www.4launch.nl/shop/#p-4-productid-123659 from Be Quiet
    I hope the first one aint crap becus its on sale atm so i could get a nice deal


    Hi panfluit - I couldn't find tests on that exact model OCZ on sale, but it looks similar to
    OCZ's ModeXtreme Pro 500w which has several good reviews.
    With the large price disparity between it and the other two,
    I'd take this one.

    Tom
  17. Alright thanks!
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies HD Radeon Components Product