Sign in with
Your question

What OC should I put with my i5 2550k and 680?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2012 3:25:30 AM

What should I overclock here, basically what is the (IK IK IK its microscopic) bottleneck here? What OC settings should I set the GTX 680 and i5 2550k at? i5 is @ 3.4GHz stock and GTX 680 will be SC+ by EVGA and is still being shipped. (2 days!!)

More about : put 2550k 680

a b Î Nvidia
April 24, 2012 2:44:31 PM

you already have a very good system, and i don't recommend you overclock it if you don't know what you are doing.

Overclock settings can't be just told because every piece of hardware is unique and the overclock capabilities will be different, that is why you must check ALL results and go for the smallest values.

About the 680 it is a awesome card, and it has a turbo oc feature, that AUTO overclock itself when needed, and the CPU will not be any bottleneck for gaming, cpu overclock will help maybe on some graphical applications and Math, but to gaming there will be probably no improvement at all.

But really unless you really know what you are doing, don't overclock, you will risk toasting very good components, for no reason.
April 24, 2012 2:58:59 PM

ricardois said:
...the CPU will not be any bottleneck for gaming, cpu overclock will help maybe on some graphical applications and Math, but to gaming there will be probably no improvement at all.

Skyrim is known to be heavily CPU bound. Just sayin' :p  I'm sure there are others out there, but I'm too lazy to go looking for them :ange: 

But overall, I agree totally with ricardois, stay away from overclocking if you don't know what you're doing.

OR

Ask yourself, if the CPU/GPU was to die right now would you be able to get another? Can you live without your computer until you can? IF you can say yes to both, then feel free to try your hand at overclocking (heck, it's gotten extremely easy over the past couple of years).

Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Related resources
a b Î Nvidia
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 3:37:37 PM

drewgamer said:
Skyrim is known to be heavily CPU bound.

This is true, but it only really uses 2 cores (my quad is usually around 50% max in Skyrim, sometimes as high as 55%).

In that case, stock will actually be very fast because Turbo Boost will kick in and clock 2 cores up. Granted, you can exceed turbo clocks manually. Although on my i5 750 I was able to OC the base clock enough that my CPU could run with turbo boost frequencies of 3.7 up to 4.25 which is pretty damn good. I just run it at a flat 4 ghz now, but turbo boost can definitely show some nice speed in less than optimized games/apps.

Although Skyrim's performance has been greatly increased in the last couple patches as well, so it's a lot less CPU bound.

Anyway, that's all a little off topic for the OP. OP: Don't worry about it. If you want to try overclocking, go for it, just make sure to read up on it first.
a b K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 4:02:47 PM

You could install OCCT, play your most demanding game, and then go back and look at what it tells you about CPU and GPU utilization. If you're not hitting 100% on either, you're good at stock. If one it getting pegged at 100%, you could read up on overclocking that part and go up in small increments (100MHz for CPU, dunno for GPU) until you get under 100% or hit the thermal limit of you parts.

Or, you can see if your system "feels right" at stock and leave it there :) 
April 24, 2012 10:47:05 PM

Very useful comments, thanks! Also do ya' guys know if GTA IV/V=like games are CPU hogs, or GPU? Thanks!
a b Î Nvidia
April 25, 2012 1:57:31 AM

ttg_Avenged said:
Very useful comments, thanks! Also do ya' guys know if GTA IV/V=like games are CPU hogs, or GPU? Thanks!

GTA IV is also very CPU bound, it uses the 4 cores also, but that CPU is very good and i don't think you will gain any noticeable performance by overclocking CPU, and the gpu overclock is not necessary right now, and unless you know how to do it, and/or you are using measuring devices etc, it is not recommended specially because it is a new architecture, that already is using gpu boost and also have locked Voltage settings for now...
April 25, 2012 3:57:02 AM

Does your motherboard have the Asus Turbo thing? You can use that to auto OC your CPU.
a b Î Nvidia
April 25, 2012 8:03:37 PM

InfinityBlaze said:
Does your motherboard have the Asus Turbo thing? You can use that to auto OC your CPU.

this is automatic, the i52550k will run at 3.8 with turbo boost activated, and it comes activated by default, but i think that @OP was saying about going over that.
!