Can't customize Folders

February 11, 2005 6:19:04 PM

It seems that I can't customize some folders in My Documents, the customize
tab is not there in folder properties. Any new folders I make the customize
tab is there. Though if I try to make a folder and transfer the stuff over,
as soon as the stuff is finished being transfered and I check in the folder
properties the customize tab is gone.

I blame this problem probably on a defrag and regclean I did a few days ago.
Ever since then crazy things have been happening. It seems I'm endlessly
fixing problems.. Though I'm not quite ready to do a format and reinstall,
cause that is a whole other hassle I don't look forward to.

Here are some of the things I have tried...

I've tried resetting folders in Tools, options, reset all folders. Didn't
work.

I tried in run REGSVR32 /i SHELL32 which said successful, that didn't work
either. (not sure what this is to do, but it was suggested by someone else as
something to try)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

More about : customize folders

Anonymous
February 11, 2005 6:59:01 PM

I just noticed something else. Any folder that is a main folder like My
Pictures and My Music, won't keep the customize tab after I make a new folder
and rename it to either My Music or My Pictures. As soon as I rename the
customized tab disappears.. Though any other folder that I copy not including
any hidden files (that seems to make a difference), will keep the customize
tab..
February 11, 2005 8:49:01 PM

Almost sounds like you're at the "format and reinstall" phase. It seems that
with Microsoft, this is about a once-per-year maintenance routine. I'm used
to it by now. *shrugs*

*should've bought a mac*

"Brenz" wrote:

> I just noticed something else. Any folder that is a main folder like My
> Pictures and My Music, won't keep the customize tab after I make a new folder
> and rename it to either My Music or My Pictures. As soon as I rename the
> customized tab disappears.. Though any other folder that I copy not including
> any hidden files (that seems to make a difference), will keep the customize
> tab..
February 11, 2005 11:47:02 PM

I think you are not able to personalize the system folders like My Documents,
Pictures... Maybe a design limitation to preserve the personality of each
folder.

"Brenz" wrote:

> It seems that I can't customize some folders in My Documents, the customize
> tab is not there in folder properties. Any new folders I make the customize
> tab is there. Though if I try to make a folder and transfer the stuff over,
> as soon as the stuff is finished being transfered and I check in the folder
> properties the customize tab is gone.
>
> I blame this problem probably on a defrag and regclean I did a few days ago.
> Ever since then crazy things have been happening. It seems I'm endlessly
> fixing problems.. Though I'm not quite ready to do a format and reinstall,
> cause that is a whole other hassle I don't look forward to.
>
> Here are some of the things I have tried...
>
> I've tried resetting folders in Tools, options, reset all folders. Didn't
> work.
>
> I tried in run REGSVR32 /i SHELL32 which said successful, that didn't work
> either. (not sure what this is to do, but it was suggested by someone else as
> something to try)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 12:24:39 PM

Hi,

System folders like My Computer, My Documents etc do not have the customize tab. This is by design.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"Brenz" <Brenz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It seems that I can't customize some folders in My Documents, the customize
> tab is not there in folder properties. Any new folders I make the customize
> tab is there. Though if I try to make a folder and transfer the stuff over,
> as soon as the stuff is finished being transfered and I check in the folder
> properties the customize tab is gone.
>
> I blame this problem probably on a defrag and regclean I did a few days ago.
> Ever since then crazy things have been happening. It seems I'm endlessly
> fixing problems.. Though I'm not quite ready to do a format and reinstall,
> cause that is a whole other hassle I don't look forward to.
>
> Here are some of the things I have tried...
>
> I've tried resetting folders in Tools, options, reset all folders. Didn't
> work.
>
> I tried in run REGSVR32 /i SHELL32 which said successful, that didn't work
> either. (not sure what this is to do, but it was suggested by someone else as
> something to try)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 12:24:40 PM

Thank you everyone for all your replies and a special thanks to Ramesh for
replying to my e-mail. Ramesh has a great website..

I didn't realize that special folders like 'My Pictures, "My Music' and 'My
Video' didn't have the customize feature, I never noticed that before. I was
just thinking what else is wrong with my computer.

You are right Galen with all the tinkering about I do with my system a
format and reinstall seems to be an occasional thing.. lol.. I'm just not
ready for that yet. Though sometimes doing that would be quicker than
spending days trying to fix errors..

A little trick I figured out trying to get it to work for anyone in the
future who comes upon this thread with similar problems.

If you don't like how one of the special folders is customized. Just make a
new folder, customize it, move all your files over to it, delete the old one,
then rename the new folder to the special folder you wanted customized.
Though the customize tab will be gone, the changes you made should stay.

Thanks again everyone..
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:04:58 PM

In news:3404C871-5653-420A-BDCB-710CAE9086C2@microsoft.com,
Galen <Galen@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Almost sounds like you're at the "format and reinstall" phase.
> It
> seems that with Microsoft, this is about a once-per-year
> maintenance
> routine.

I couldn't disagree more. In my view, it's almost always a
mistake. With a modicum of care, it should never be necessary to
reinstall Windows (XP or any other version). I've run Windows
3.0, 3.1, WFWG 3.11, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows 2000, and
Windows XP, each for the period of time before the next version
came out, and each on two machines here. I never reinstalled any
of them, and I have never had anything more than an occasional
minor problem.
It's my belief that this mistaken notion stems from the technical
support people at many of the larger OEMs. Their solution to
almost any problem they don't quickly know the answer to is
"reformat and reinstall." That's the perfect solution for them.
It gets you off the phone quickly, it almost always works, and it
doesn't require them to do any real troubleshooting (a skill that
most of them obviously don't possess in any great degree).

But it leaves you with all the work and all the problems. You
have to restore all your data backups, you have to reinstall all
your programs, you have to reinstall all the Windows and
application updates,you have to locate and install all the needed
drivers for your system, you have to recustomize Windows and all
your apps to work the way you're comfortable with.

Besides all those things being time-consuming and troublesome,
you may have trouble with some of them: can you find all your
application CDs? Can you find all the needed installation codes?
Do you have data backups to restore? Do you even remember all the
customizations and tweaks you may have installed to make
everything work the way you like?

Occasionally there are problems that are so difficult to solve
that Windows should be reinstalled cleanly. But they are few and
far between; reinstallation should not be a substitute for
troubleshooting; it should be a last resort, to be done only
after all other attempts at troubleshooting by a qualified person
have failed.

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:06:06 PM

This is by design. Special folders don't have a customize tab.

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

!