Sign in with
Your question

Computer randomly shut off and won't turn back on

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2012 1:46:52 PM

Hi everyone:

I built a new computer about a month and a half ago, and it's been working wonderfully since then. Last night however, the computer decided to shut off randomly as if I lost power and now it won't turn back on.

When I press the power button, the LED's in my case flash on for a fraction of a second then turn back off.

I found out if I unplug my Graphics card's power cables (the two six pin ones from the PSU) the computer will boot and run normally (on integrated graphics).

So is the PSU the problem or is it the graphics card?

I have a hard time believing it's the graphics card.. I feel like something plugged in to a PCIe port shouldn't prevent the entire computer from booting, but I really don't know.

Specs are:
Intel Core i7 3770K
XFX AMD Radeon HD 7950
Corsair GS800 800W PSU
Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard
16GB GSkill Ripjaws RAM (2x8)

If you have thoughts, please post.

Thanks.
June 20, 2012 7:27:34 PM

So I brought the PSU in and microcenter said it was okay (Honestly, I don't completely believe that because they tested it so fast and didn't test all the pins. He tested the 24 pin connecter and said it was okay but I insisted he test the 6 pins, and even then he only tested one.)

So I sent in my graphics card back to XFX... This has been extremely disappointing. It better be the problem. >.>
January 23, 2014 9:39:03 PM

any update on this? I have a feeling the graphics card wasn't the issue.
Related resources
January 23, 2014 9:54:37 PM

Yeah, turns out the graphics card was actually the issue. Some kind of internal short. If you're having the same problem, try removing the graphics card and seeing if the computer boots without it.
January 24, 2014 12:45:22 AM

mach990 said:
Yeah, turns out the graphics card was actually the issue. Some kind of internal short. If you're having the same problem, try removing the graphics card and seeing if the computer boots without it.

I see. Thanks for the update.
January 24, 2014 1:06:19 AM

Are you entirely sure the graphics card is the one shorting and not the slot that it was in that was shorting?

mach990 said:

January 24, 2014 9:18:36 AM

Yes, the replacement went into the same slot. I reseated the original before I RMA'd it and that changed nothing, so it was definitely the gpu itself. Of course if you have the same issue, be sure to try different pcie slots if you have them.
!