WokSz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hi guys,

So, did some further research and I really don't see the point of paying more money for an i7 over an i5. My needs are very simple: gaming. I don't really play the high-performance games (e.g. BF3, Skyrim, etc...). My main game is WoW and I want a new rig that can handle Ultra settings (all the time) with stable FPS, as well as having a movie or something playing on the second screen.

I currently have an i5 2500k and from what I've seen there is very little I can upgrade to. My other system is in the UK and I'll have to pay £300 or so to have the PC shipped over. Not really worth it.

So, I want to build a new system and I was looking at the Intel Core i5 3570K. The price seems decent. I don't really overclock (don't really need to). Would this be a good CPU for my needs? Will I experience bottlenecks if I get high-end GPUs and run those on this CPU?

Thanks guys,

WokSz

Edit: Wait a minute, I think I understand now. I misunderstood what you said. You meant that your 2500K system is in the UK. In that case, go ahead and get the 3570K.

It's not much more powerful than the 2500K, but you don't need it to be. A 2500K is already WAY more powerful than what you need.

WokSz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Yeah, sorry for the misunderstanding. My system is currently at my GF's house in the UK and having it brought to where I live would cost about £300 (with insurance). It would make more sense for me to put some money in and buy a new PC.

I am correct in thinking that there are very few upgrades from the 2500K right?

Yep. The 2500K is #1a as far as gaming CPU's go. The 3570K is the only one better, but like I alluded to, it's such a small increase that's it's just barely #1. The PCIe 3.0 capability for the 3570K matters more than the tiny speed increase, and even that isn't really that important, for the time being.

WokSz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

Thanks for the help. As I'm buying a new CPU, I might as well go with the 3750K.

Any advice on what mobo I should be looking at? I've heard great things about ASUS P8Z77 V-PRO and the price is quite attractive too. I want to stick with Asus as I've had a great experience with them in the past.

LW_Black4

Honorable
Oct 22, 2012
The i5 3570K is a really great CPU that won't bottleneck the fastest video cards.

I'm going with one to get the 3rd Gen features, and it'll support one of the fastest video cards - a GTX 680 - for one of the most demanding games - BF3.

WokSz

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011

I'm glad! The reviews really do seem great! What motherboard are you going with?

That's a great board. I'm biased, though, LOL. I'm definitely an "Asus guy"...