Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How know computer passed POST?

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2012 2:44:22 PM

I have a shutdown during boot problem, but I don't know whether the system passed the POST. I can prevent shutdown (indefinitely) by accessing the SETUP bios screen using the DELETE key. So if the SETUP facility appears normal, does that mean the POST was successfully passed?

More about : computer passed post

June 19, 2012 3:14:52 PM

[if your sitting in the mb bios screen then the bios post is passed. on most mb if you see the mb logo the mb is posting..if there an issue with the mb you cant tell unless you run some diag or have some o-scopes or digital testers...things that then mb vendor debuging people have. reboot going into windows can be from a bad power supply or one that over loaded. (under sized for the video card.) a bad video card or the onboard and gpu card are both trying to use the same irq and or memory range. (if your cpu or mb has built in video then pull the video card and see if it posts into windows). also people forget to put the extra 4/8 pin power on the mb or all the power plugs on there gpu. the most common with new builds is they try and use an old hard drive and they dont wipe it before they use it again. so you have windows trying to load old mb chipset drivers onto a mb with newer chipset and or video cards and it wont work. you can try and fix the issue by using f8 safe mode and removing all the drivers under windows system and try and reboot. the last is a damaged video driver and or anti virus or start up program. the easy way is to remove the video drivers in save mode and uninstall the anti virus software or use ms-config and turn everything off in start up. if you can get into windows normaly then it a damaged program in start up.
m
l

Best solution

June 20, 2012 1:40:45 AM

If you can get to the BIOS and display things then the MB POST'ed OK.

"I have a shutdown during boot problem" Download a bootable diagnostic (google ultimate boot disk, windows emergency disk, etc.). Build a USB or CD. Boot off it (f12 is typically the key to get a boot menu, or you can set the boot order in the BIOS). If it is stable, then windows problem. Fails, then post symptoms.

If Windows is failing during startup pull all the external cables except keyboard and mouse (no printer, no scanner, no firewire, no external drives, no mp3 players, etc) and see if you can get to safe mode.
Related resources
June 27, 2012 1:31:28 PM

Best answer selected by SBoardwatch.
m
l
July 3, 2012 1:16:43 AM

Evidently I will have to disassemble the computer, placing the MB on a non-conductive surface, and attempt to power on with only PSU, memory stick, and cpu. If no shutdown, then add a bootable drive. If shutdown, then swap out the most easily obtained components one at a time.
m
l
!