What PSU for this configuration?

Ok I'm building a new PC and getting it in a month. The configuration goes:
Mobo: AsRock z77 extreme 4
CPU: intel i5 3570k
GPU: Sapphire 7870 2GB GHZ edition
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Evo rpk2
RAM: Kingston Genesis Gray DDR3 8gb 1600mhz
I'm from Serbia and in my country we have limited choice when it comes to PSUs I have thought to take either Chieftec APS 650w
or Seasonic SS620GB. So which one should I take?
Oh and will I be able to do crossfire later with this PSU?
8 answers Last reply
More about what configuration
  1. Both will be fine but go with the Seasonic SS620GB because it is more efficient(bronze rating) than the Chieftec APS 650w
  2. The Seasonic is the better choice. An excellent quality unit, it would be capable of supporting crossfire.

Chieftec doesnt really have a reputation here, so I have no thoughts on them.
  3. Fairly sure the Chieftec APS-650C is a High Power HP-650-G14C, which is what OCZ used for their ModXStream Pro series (500-700W). So it is okay, but the Seasonic is indeed better.

With either of them you will have to use adapters to get the extra two PCIe connectors that you will need for 7870 CF; a system with two 7870s requires four PCIe connectors, those units only has two.

If you can afford to buy a good PSU that has four PCIe connectors natively then I would suggest getting that instead.
  4. Silvune said:
    Fairly sure the Chieftec APS-650C is a High Power HP-650-G14C, which is what OCZ used for their ModXStream Pro series (500-700W). So it is okay, but the Seasonic is indeed better.

With either of them you will have to use adapters to get the extra two PCIe connectors that you will need for 7870 CF; a system with two 7870s requires four PCIe connectors, those units only has two.

If you can afford to buy a good PSU that has four PCIe connectors natively then I would suggest getting that instead.

Hi - what am I missing - I am considering the same GPU for my system and it (Sapphire)
    requires 2 6pin connectors not 4, so wondering what I'm missing.
    Thanx

Tom
  5. Silvune said:
    Fairly sure the Chieftec APS-650C is a High Power HP-650-G14C, which is what OCZ used for their ModXStream Pro series (500-700W). So it is okay, but the Seasonic is indeed better.

http://imageshack.us/a/img202/7610/chieftecaps650c13488.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I wouldn't buy it.
  6. toyftw said:
    Hi - what am I missing - I am considering the same GPU for my system and it (Sapphire)
    requires 2 6pin connectors not 4, so wondering what I'm missing.
    Thanx

Tom

I think you are missing the fact that he asked about crossfire:
    stefan37 said:
    Oh and will I be able to do crossfire later with this PSU?

Anonymous said:

I don't know why the label would convince you not to buy it. And I already knew what its label looked like btw.
    I probably wouldn't buy it either, but that's because I'd be willing to pay more for something better. If someone is on a budget then as long as there aren't better PSUs around for a similar price then you could do a lot worse.
  7. Silvune said:

I don't know why the label would convince you not to buy it. And I already knew what its label looked like btw.
    I probably wouldn't buy it either, but that's because I'd be willing to pay more for something better. If someone is on a budget then as long as there aren't better PSUs around for a similar price then you could do a lot worse.
    Very true and the label had nothing to due with not buying it sorry should of explained better it's really only 552W so i was showing it
  8. Silvune said:

Hi Silvune - Yes I did miss the crossfire part of his post.

Thanx

Tom
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Configuration Components Product