Last response: in Components
October 22, 2012 8:37:04 PM

Ok I'm building a new PC and getting it in a month. The configuration goes:
Mobo: AsRock z77 extreme 4
CPU: intel i5 3570k
GPU: Sapphire 7870 2GB GHZ edition
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Evo rpk2
RAM: Kingston Genesis Gray DDR3 8gb 1600mhz
I'm from Serbia and in my country we have limited choice when it comes to PSUs I have thought to take either Chieftec APS 650w
or Seasonic SS620GB. So which one should I take?
Oh and will I be able to do crossfire later with this PSU?

More about : psu configuration

a b ) Power supply
October 22, 2012 8:50:16 PM

Both will be fine but go with the Seasonic SS620GB because it is more efficient(bronze rating) than the Chieftec APS 650w
a b ) Power supply
October 22, 2012 9:05:31 PM

The Seasonic is the better choice. An excellent quality unit, it would be capable of supporting crossfire.

Chieftec doesnt really have a reputation here, so I have no thoughts on them.
Related resources
a c 87 ) Power supply
October 22, 2012 10:18:21 PM

Fairly sure the Chieftec APS-650C is a High Power HP-650-G14C, which is what OCZ used for their ModXStream Pro series (500-700W). So it is okay, but the Seasonic is indeed better.

With either of them you will have to use adapters to get the extra two PCIe connectors that you will need for 7870 CF; a system with two 7870s requires four PCIe connectors, those units only has two.

If you can afford to buy a good PSU that has four PCIe connectors natively then I would suggest getting that instead.
a c 288 ) Power supply
October 22, 2012 10:31:19 PM

Silvune said:
Fairly sure the Chieftec APS-650C is a High Power HP-650-G14C, which is what OCZ used for their ModXStream Pro series (500-700W). So it is okay, but the Seasonic is indeed better.

With either of them you will have to use adapters to get the extra two PCIe connectors that you will need for 7870 CF; a system with two 7870s requires four PCIe connectors, those units only has two.

If you can afford to buy a good PSU that has four PCIe connectors natively then I would suggest getting that instead.

Hi - what am I missing - I am considering the same GPU for my system and it (Sapphire)
requires 2 6pin connectors not 4, so wondering what I'm missing.
Thanx

Tom
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 22, 2012 10:49:44 PM

Silvune said:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us I wouldn't buy it.
a c 87 ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 2:50:24 PM

toyftw said:
Hi - what am I missing - I am considering the same GPU for my system and it (Sapphire)
requires 2 6pin connectors not 4, so wondering what I'm missing.
Thanx

Tom

I think you are missing the fact that he asked about crossfire:
stefan37 said:
Oh and will I be able to do crossfire later with this PSU?

I don't know why the label would convince you not to buy it. And I already knew what its label looked like btw.
I probably wouldn't buy it either, but that's because I'd be willing to pay more for something better. If someone is on a budget then as long as there aren't better PSUs around for a similar price then you could do a lot worse.
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 2:55:34 PM

Silvune said:

I don't know why the label would convince you not to buy it. And I already knew what its label looked like btw.
I probably wouldn't buy it either, but that's because I'd be willing to pay more for something better. If someone is on a budget then as long as there aren't better PSUs around for a similar price then you could do a lot worse.
Very true and the label had nothing to due with not buying it sorry should of explained better it's really only 552W so i was showing it
a c 288 ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 3:03:10 PM

Silvune said:

Hi Silvune - Yes I did miss the crossfire part of his post.

Thanx

Tom
!