Gaming performance with i5 3570k

Tags:
  • Performance
  • Intel i5
  • Gaming
  • Components
Last response: in Components
October 22, 2012 8:58:24 PM

Ok so I've had my phenom II x4 965 BE for about 4-5 months now. And it performs ok but not as good as I thought it should be. So I broke down and went with intel. I got the i5 3570k. From lots of research it seems that the i5 is better for gaming, which is all I do. I play Dayz, bf3, borderlands 2, cs:go, all the newer games I pretty much play. So without anyone being biased about AMD or Intel I want to know was getting a good idea, and also I will have alot more room with the i5 for overclocking. People say theres no difference in performance at stock and overclocked, but some people do so if anyone can clear that up, that would be good. Oh, and my GPU is a GTX 660 Ti, and I feel that the phenom could be bottlenecking it because my performance was not anything close to what it should have been.

More about : gaming performance 3570k

October 22, 2012 9:36:43 PM

In GPU limited titles not alot. DayZ you should see a good hike in average FPS though but generally as your PII was unlikely to be much of a bottleneck to the card your boost will not be huge
Score
October 22, 2012 10:01:30 PM

wr6133 said:
In GPU limited titles not alot. DayZ you should see a good hike in average FPS though but generally as your PII was unlikely to be much of a bottleneck to the card your boost will not be huge

I think it could have been a cpu bottleneck, because I would put my resolution really low, and play on low settings on games like dayz and cs:go, and there would be 0 improvement. Like not even 5-10 fps, the same frames would happen either way.
Score
Related resources
October 22, 2012 10:05:55 PM

wr6133 said:

Also, could the motherboard be an issue with performance, because when I built my PC 5 months ago, it was completely budget, I built it on 500 bucks, then once I got my signing bonus for the air force I got to put the stuff I wanted into it. For example, SSD, 1tb HDD, 2 Acer S200HL monitors, Antec 1100 case, 660 ti. But the motherboard I went with was a MSI 870a-g46 and it was pretty cheap, like 70 bucks. The motherboard I got for the 3570k is a ASRock Extreme 4 z77 which but alot of researching seemed to be a really good board.
Score
October 23, 2012 9:30:15 AM

abCasPeRR said:
I think it could have been a cpu bottleneck, because I would put my resolution really low, and play on low settings on games like dayz and cs:go, and there would be 0 improvement. Like not even 5-10 fps, the same frames would happen either way.

DayZ/ARMA II is a bit perverse when you whack it all on low it can actually perform worse, if you look up optimisation guides you see certain settings on low actually take load away from your GPU and pile it on your CPU.
Score
October 23, 2012 10:26:07 AM

Arma 2 was never optimized well. It will use every bit of processing power you through at it.
Score
October 23, 2012 8:40:09 PM

Burgies said:
Arma 2 was never optimized well. It will use every bit of processing power you through at it.

Ok thanks you and wr6 helped alot, and also I see that you have the same motherboard that I am going to but, I read some stuff about the virtu MVP and how it makes your discrete GPU work with the iGPU, does it really perform alot better or should I not even take the time to turn it on for some games.
Score

Best solution

October 23, 2012 8:51:26 PM

It's over-hyped, there's some reviews show it as a good thing but really if you have a high end GPU it's not that meaningful.

I forgot to respond to your OC questions too. As of now there is no real need to OC that CPU but it's a good option in the future. Later down the line you can get a cheap ebay 660ti SLi it and OC the CPU.... bingo extended the system life for little cost.
October 23, 2012 11:04:43 PM

I havent played around with MVP very much, i have a feeling in some tests it will make a difference and in others it wont depending on the developer. I have a power edition 670 so i dont think its really needed.
Score
October 26, 2012 8:46:33 PM

wr6133 said:
It's over-hyped, there's some reviews show it as a good thing but really if you have a high end GPU it's not that meaningful.

I forgot to respond to your OC questions too. As of now there is no real need to OC that CPU but it's a good option in the future. Later down the line you can get a cheap ebay 660ti SLi it and OC the CPU.... bingo extended the system life for little cost.

Yeah im probably not going to OC, I have everything I need if I wanted to, I'll put my 212+ from my AMD when my mobo gets here, if I did decide to. Would I see increased performance or what it be minimal ?
Score
October 26, 2012 8:57:01 PM

With the single card no there is no actual need to OC at the moment
Score
October 26, 2012 9:32:03 PM

Best answer selected by abcasperr.
Score
October 26, 2012 9:32:23 PM

wr6133 said:
With the single card no there is no actual need to OC at the moment

Ok, thank you so much for your time, I really appreciate it.
Score
December 21, 2012 9:05:35 AM

I noticed you now own the i5 3570k. I'm still running with my 965 BE in Arma 2 and am getting pretty poor performance (it may be partly because of my HD 5750 as well). I know Arma 2 is extremely CPU intensive, moreso than any other game I've seen.

Did you notice any significant improvements switching to from your 965 BE??
Score
!