Sign in with
Your question

HP Laptop won't boot

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2012 5:06:23 PM

I have an HP G60-445DX that was given to me by a family member to fix. You can turn the laptop on, the power button and WiFi button light up, I can hear the fan spinning and if I put a cd in the drive it does spin. The HD light goes on for a split second when you turn on the laptop.

I've tried: Plugging an external monitor into the laptop - nothing. I've taken the HD out and put a spare HD in still nothing, does the same thing, turns on and that's it, I re-seated the ram - still nothing, so I took out the HD and the Ram chips and turned it on and nothing, it'll still turn on but no beep codes or anything. I've also tried it with the battery in the system and out of the system, I've also done the whole "take batter out, hold power button down for 60s, etc". Nothing works. I'm going to assume that it's a motherboard issue, I was just wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or can think of something to try that I haven't

Thanks! :) 

Processor: AMD Turion X2 mobile processor RM-75 / 2.2 GHz ( Dual-Core )
Memory: 3.0 GB / 4.0 GB (max)
Hard Drive: 320.0 GB - Serial ATA-150 - 5400.0 rpm
Display Type: 16.0 in TFT active matrix
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Optical Drive: DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
Graphics Processor: NVIDIA GeForce 8200M G

More about : laptop boot

June 19, 2012 5:33:11 PM

Bad CPU or main board. If you try to boot with no RAM you should at least get error beeps.
m
l
June 20, 2012 1:34:33 AM

So no BIOS display.

In laptop there are a lot of other components you need to pull first.

For example, a failed mini-PCI network adapter can cause these symptoms.

Read the update manual and pull all the parts you can including hard drive, network, memory. Odd are Price_th is right and that it's the MB but it would be a shame to replace MB and discover that the HDD failed.
m
l
Related resources
June 20, 2012 3:24:09 PM

Well I'm good working with desktops, I've never taken a laptop apart so I've only pulled the main things I could, which was the ram and the hard drive. As I said I have a spare hard drive that I put in the system and it still does the same thing, turns on power button and WiFi button light up and I can hear the fan spinning but nothing happens. The fact that I can turn it on without a hard drive or the ram with no error beeps leaves me to believe that its a motherboard issue.
m
l
June 24, 2012 3:09:56 AM

Could be MB. Try to find your wireless card. If it's lose in the socket it causes the lappy to die with your symptoms. Googling will get you a diagram of how to get into the right bay. I think most of the wireless are mini-PCIe so can get lose.
m
l
!