Solved

Final check needed on first ever build

Approximate Purchase Date: Gradually over the next few weeks.

Budget Range: Cheap as possible to meet my requirements below

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Watching 1080p (e.g. mkv in VLC) video locally, streaming HD video online, web surfing, gaming at 1920x1080 max settings (Diablo 3), productivity apps (e.g. Microsoft Office). This build should last 4-5 years.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, Windows 7, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: None

Country: Canada

Parts Preferences: Don't know enough for preference.

Overclocking: Maybe leaning towards no

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Here is what I have:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks
CPU: Intel Core i5-2310 2.9GHz Quad-Core Processor ($178.36 @ DirectCanada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($37.99 @ Canada Computers)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($67.79 @ DirectCanada)
Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card ($124.99 @ NCIX)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($29.99 @ Canada Computers)
Power Supply: OCZ 650W ATX12V Power Supply ($54.88 @ Canada Computers)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS90 DVD/CD Writer ($17.79 @ DirectCanada)
Total: $601.78 (Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

Thanks FinneousPJ who recommended some of the parts to me.

For the mobo, I went with the B75 chipset for USB 3.0 support. For PSU, should I get one with more juice? The calculator I used showed 422W for the parts I picked. This one is for 430W. I don't know much about PSUs and I just went with one from the recommendation thread.

So what do you guys think about this build? Is it sufficient for my needs? I'm not familiar with cases either, will everything fit into the case that I've selected, will my USB internal connector reach the front port of the case? Is there money to be saved somewhere?

Thanks everyone! This forum has been so helpful to me. :)
19 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about final check needed build
  1. Best answer
    I think you need at minimum 500W for a 6870 - a 430W is fine but I'd get a far different brand - something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

    And then I wouldn't get an mATX board - get a full sized one - on an mATX board - especially a B75 - your expansion options will be quite limited and I never encourage that. But other than
  2. That's actually a good PSU and will power your system great - it has 33 A on the 12 V. However why not use this rebate http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu430cxv2
  3. g-unit1111 said:
    I think you need at minimum 500W for a 6870 - a 430W is fine but I'd get a far different brand - something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151094

    And then I wouldn't get an mATX board - get a full sized one - on an mATX board - especially a B75 - your expansion options will be quite limited and I never encourage that. But other than


    Thanks, good catch on the PSU.

    I know this may be hard to answer but when upgrading 4-5 years down the road, won't it generally be replacing parts and not adding more parts? I'm guessing that a full sized board just has more slots? I just picked the cheapest mobo with USB 3.0.
  4. Cobra27 said:
    Thanks, good catch on the PSU.

    I know this may be hard to answer but when upgrading 4-5 years down the road, won't it generally be replacing parts and not adding more parts? I'm guessing that a full sized board just has more slots? I just picked the cheapest mobo with USB 3.0.


    A full size board will have more SATA ports for adding HDs, RAM slots, and a bit higher end boards you'll be able to unlock the multiplier. It would be useless with an i5-2310 but should you replace the CPU later on you don't want to forfeit that option.
  5. FinneousPJ said:
    That's actually a good PSU and will power your system great - it has 33 A on the 12 V. However why not use this rebate http://pcpartpicker.com/mr/newegg/corsair-power-supply-cmpsu430cxv2


    The XFX site says minimum is 500W and recommended is 550W.
    http://xfxforce.com/en-us/Products/Graphics-Cards/AMD/AMD-Radeon-HD-6000-Series/AMD-Radeon-HD-6870.aspx
  6. If there's anything you don't want to skimp on it's the psu! Grab this 560W Seasonic, gold certified, modular psu:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151098
  7. iendigma said:
    If there's anything you don't want to skimp on it's the psu! Grab this 560W Seasonic, gold certified, modular psu:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151098


    If I get this, can I lower my CPU to i3-2120 and it will last me 5 years?
  8. Cobra27 said:


    EDIT:
    Even a 6870 Crossfire system doesn't use more than 430W ;)
  9. Cobra27 said:
    If I get this, can I lower my CPU to i3-2120 and it will last me 5 years?


    Get this one instead - it's the same brand but not as high end of a model so you don't have to cut corners on your CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096
  10. How about these changes:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX)

    I upgraded mobo to H77 chipset for roughly $10 more, it's still mATX but has 2 more RAM slots and extra SATA 6GB/s slot with RAID support.

    For power supply, it's now 700W for same price as the original Rosewill 430W one. Is OCZ good for PSU?
  11. Cobra27 said:
    How about these changes:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H77M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg Canada)
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($44.99 @ NCIX)

    I upgraded mobo to H77 chipset for roughly $10 more, it's still mATX but has 2 more RAM slots and extra SATA 6GB/s slot with RAID support.

    For power supply, it's now 700W for same price as the original Rosewill 430W one. Is OCZ good for PSU?


    Get this instead for your motherboard - it's a full size ATX : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128550

    This way you do not limit your expansion options.

    As far as OCZ goes - they're decent PSUs but 700W for that price I'd really question the reliability of it. Maybe go with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028
  12. g-unit1111 said:
    Get this instead for your motherboard - it's a full size ATX : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128550

    This way you do not limit your expansion options.

    As far as OCZ goes - they're decent PSUs but 700W for that price I'd really question the reliability of it. Maybe go with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028


    Hmm, it's an extra $20 for an extra PCIe x1 slot and PCI slot. I don't think I'll be needing that.

    If you're basing the PSU on the price, would you feel better knowing that the OCZ retails for $99.99 regular price with a sale ending tomorrow for $74.99 plus a $30 MIR?
  13. I don't know what's the motivation behind these fear-mongers but as my graph clearly shows, a 430W PSU is more than enough for the system you're planning.
  14. FinneousPJ said:
    I don't know what's the motivation behind these fear-mongers but as my graph clearly shows, a 430W PSU is more than enough for the system you're planning.


    I don't know but I guess reading elsewhere it does say to buy more than needed. Would you agree though that the OCZ 700W is better than the Rosewill 430W for the same price?

    Also, what do you think if I knocked the card down a notch to HD 6790 (PowerColor AX6790 1GBD5-DH @ $119.91) to squeeze another $40 of savings or so? According to benchmarks, it's running Diablo 3 pretty smoothly at 1920x1080. I don't really do that much gaming anyways. You think it would still last me 4-5 years?
  15. For the same price I guess it's fine. I haven't had good experiences with OCZ PSUs though.

    For D3 I'm sure it's great but for 4-5 years of max settings even the GTX680 isn't guaranteed to work...
  16. FinneousPJ said:
    For the same price I guess it's fine. I haven't had good experiences with OCZ PSUs though.

    For D3 I'm sure it's great but for 4-5 years of max settings even the GTX680 isn't guaranteed to work...


    I have the PC Power & Cooling Silencer and the company is partly owned by OCZ and that PSU has been great so far.
  17. g-unit1111 said:
    Get this instead for your motherboard - it's a full size ATX : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128550

    This way you do not limit your expansion options.

    As far as OCZ goes - they're decent PSUs but 700W for that price I'd really question the reliability of it. Maybe go with something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2008/11/12/ocz_700w_modxstream_pro_power_supply/9
    It is not a good PSU. Your PSU suggestion is better, but still not worth its lesser quality compared to other PSUs.
  18. I went with the OCZ ZS 650W instead. This one seems to have more favourable reviews. Also, I'm now going with the MSI R6850 Cyclone Power Edition for a video card.
  19. Best answer selected by Cobra27.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product