Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will the graphics card support the dual monitor?

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2012 5:30:11 PM

Hello, I was wondering if this configuration is compatible http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ar1P
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 5:34:09 PM

First off why would you spend over $1K on a CPU that's three generations old and far outperformed by one that's $300?

Second - what's the primary use for this build going to be? If it's gaming the Quaddros will be completely useless as will that storage system. If it's a rendering machine you'll want to go with the far better X79 platform.
m
l
June 19, 2012 5:37:00 PM

I might be building something for a very rich friend, so I just choose a processor which cost the most. The build will be used for home entertainment, and a replacement of a TV.
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 5:39:34 PM

pizza5647 said:
I might be building something for a very rich friend, so I just choose a processor which cost the most. The build will be used for home entertainment, and a replacement of a TV.

It's a complete waste of $41k to buy that, considering all it will be is an HTPC.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 5:58:18 PM

pizza5647 said:

That is not going to make a good system. If you want to blow a lot of cash on a machine, the Quaddros will be completely useless for gaming as they are professional cards and won't be able to handle the fast redraws required. The 980X is 3 generations old now and a massive power hog compared to the more energy efficient 3930K. That storage system is also major overkill and not good choices - the Sandforce controller used is junk and you don't want to pay $2K on SSDs and then have the drives fail on you.

If you want to get an ultimate system here's how you do it:

Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II - $349.99
PSU: Silverstone Strider ST1500 - $299.99
Motherboard: EVGA Classified SRX - $689.99
CPU: 3.4GHz Intel Core i7-3960X - $1,029.99 each ($2,059.89 total)
Cooler: Triple Fan Swiftech Edge HD - $269.99
Water Block: Swiftech Apogee HD - $74.99
RAM: 64GB G.Skill Ripjaw Z 1600MHz 1.5V - $494.99
SSD: 2 x Plextor PX-M3 512GB - $649.99 each ($1,299.98 total)
HD: 2 x Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB - $209.99 each ($419.98 total)
Optical: Plextor B950 - $147.99
Video Card: 3 x EVGA Geforce GTX 680 Hydro Copper 2 - $699.99 each ($2,097.97 total)

Total: $8,455.74

A little less expensive than your build but all the parts are more suited to a gaming machine and are built around modern components. Add displays and peripherals and you're good to go.

June 19, 2012 7:26:50 PM

Best answer selected by pizza5647.
m
l
June 19, 2012 7:27:45 PM

That is what I will do if I get to build him it! Thanks!
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:22:34 PM

Did the person say specifically that they want to spend as much money as possible, or are you assuming that since they are rich, you should design the most expensive setup possible? You could easily build a ridiculously fast computer to use as an HTPC for for $1000 to $1500 and still have it be complete overkill. Is he even planning to use it for gaming? Even that build that g-unit suggested is complete overkill if it is an HTPC. Although, I would love to have it myself, because it is an awesome build if you are going to use it correctly.

Another question: do you have experience in building a computer? It does not sound like it. not saying its a bad thing. this is just very expensive equipment to practice on if it is your first time. If you are set on doing this, you will want to make sure that you do a lot of research. you don't want to piss off your friend by frying 8,000 dollars worth of equipment because you did not take precautions for static electricity or something else.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, if I am coming off as one. I just want you to think this through.

Best of luck to you
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 8:33:13 PM

roadkill922 said:
Did the person say specifically that they want to spend as much money as possible, or are you assuming that since they are rich, you should design the most expensive setup possible? You could easily build a ridiculously fast computer to use as an HTPC for for $1000 to $1500 and still have it be complete overkill. Is he even planning to use it for gaming? Even that build that g-unit suggested is complete overkill if it is an HTPC. Although, I would love to have it myself, because it is an awesome build if you are going to use it correctly.

Another question: do you have experience in building a computer? It does not sound like it. not saying its a bad thing. this is just very expensive equipment to practice on if it is your first time. If you are set on doing this, you will want to make sure that you do a lot of research. you don't want to piss off your friend by frying 8,000 dollars worth of equipment because you did not take precautions for static electricity or something else.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, if I am coming off as one. I just want you to think this through.

Best of luck to you

The first build was complete overkill as well. You could probably build a system for $1K but if they want to blow their money I'm not stopping them. :lol: 
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:57:48 PM

g-unit1111 said:
The first build was complete overkill as well. You could probably build a system for $1K but if they want to blow their money I'm not stopping them. :lol: 

The first one was way beyond overkill. I have no idea who would ever spend that much money on a PC, unless it was for reasonable business purposes.

I would definitely use a setup similar to the one you suggested if I won the lottery though. ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 9:17:13 PM

roadkill922 said:
The first one was way beyond overkill. I have no idea who would ever spend that much money on a PC, unless it was for reasonable business purposes.

I would definitely use a setup similar to the one you suggested if I won the lottery though. ;) 

The only way I could see that setup being used is in a render farm - but even then render farms know to use the 3960X as opposed to the aging 980X.

And yeah that would be nice wouldn't it? :lol: 

Quote:

Almost didn't see this - on an $8K build static electricity would be the least of my worries - I've been doing this for a long time and I've never needed a static wrist strap. Where I'd be worried as hell would be setting up the liquid cooling system - I'd have a pro do that before I did. :lol: 
m
l
June 19, 2012 9:22:42 PM

Yeah, you have a point with that. I would just be very cautious in general when there is that much money at stake.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 9:45:31 PM

roadkill922 said:
Yeah, you have a point with that. I would just be very cautious in general when there is that much money at stake.

In the 100+ builds I've done over the years I've only had one part short out on me and that was a Corsair CX430 - and that was due to a short in the 24-pin power connector, even on an $8K build - you're right to be cautious - but static wrist straps are, and have always been, completely useless. Setting up the liquid cooling unit would worry me quite a bit as I've never done a custom loop myself, I've always gone with air cooling.
m
l
!