Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Which mid/full tower case should I get?

Last response: in Components
Share
October 22, 2012 11:20:22 PM

Not too sure which case I should I get... I want a case that looks good that also features good airflow.

Azza Genesis 9000 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=72969&vpn=CSAZ-9000W&m...

Cooler Master HAF XM (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Phantom (White) ATX Full Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT Switch 810 (White) ATX Full Tower Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill THOR V2-W ATX Full Tower Case
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005XUAAP2/?tag=pcpapi-20

Corsair 500R White ATX Mid Tower Case
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=62758&vpn=CC-9011013-W...

Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004O0PAKW/?tag=pcpapi-20

More about : mid full tower case

a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 12:50:18 AM

My vote goes to the Switch 810, Corsair 500R, and the NZXT Phantom.

I don't really like the styling of the other cases :lol: 

Out of the three I listed, I would most likely go with the Switch 810 due to how flexible the case is :) 
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 1:02:15 AM

Depends on how extreme you want to go. Have you looked at the new Phantom 820?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 1:24:14 AM

Burgies said:
Depends on how extreme you want to go. Have you looked at the new Phantom 820?

+1

Phantom 820 seems to be one heck of an epic case at the moment. The only thing holding me back from fully recommending it is the price; it's basically identical to the Switch 810 but costs $80 more.
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 1:47:12 AM

From a functionality point its pretty similar. But it looks far nicer. Does the switch have the built in lighting, card reader and IO light?
m
0
l
a b ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 3:20:47 AM

Switch has the Card Reader and I/O light :)  The built in lighting would be a personal preference thing IMO, I'm not a big fan of it.
m
0
l
October 23, 2012 3:36:25 AM

I guess it comes down to personal preference on the case asthetics then. I really feel a case should be chosen off of what you like the look of. As long as theres the functionality you want and good airflow, then go with looks. The case is what you are going to be seeing sitting on your bench for the next while.
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 23, 2012 4:12:12 AM

This http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... get's my vote!Why? Pros
+ Very spacious and sexy
+ Offers lots of flexibility
+ Good thermal performance
+ Great for cable management
+ Directional fan mounted to HDD cage
+ LED light for I/O plate
+ SD card reader slot
+ Can take up to 10 case fans

Cons
- Plastic front and top panels
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 8:50:37 PM

I have the exact same question so figured I'd piggy back on this one instead of creating a new, identical thread.

Airflow and keeping the box cool is my primary concern. Obviously I want something that looks reasonable but I don't care that much about "sexy". I'm probably looking in the $150-$180 +/- range. Definitely don't mind paying more (up to $230 or so) for something that is demonstrably better... I tend to recycle cases so this one will be in service for at least 5-7 years and likely much longer.

I've been looking at cases that accommodate a LOT of fans. I like the full towers but am concerned that they may be too big for the provided cables and plumbing. I'm sort of leaning towards Mid sized for this reason.

Not a deal breaker one way or another but a strong preference would be the ability to take a Corsair H100 water cooler without problems. I'll most likely be running a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe LGA 1155 with an i7-3770 Ivy Bridge or something in that realm. And a 1000W modular PSU. I prefer to have lots of USB3.0 connectors out front but if there's only two that's not a deal breaker. Very high quality case, Vendor with a long track record of building quality cases, etc. I'm not anal about it but something that will allow me to properly dress the cables would be a plus.

My two front runners would be the HAF-X and HAF-XM models.
Also looking at the high end Corsair Carbide models.
Considered the DF-85 but quite a few negative reviews frightened me off. My current PC, built 5 years ago has an Antec case and no complaints.
The Rosewell Thor suggested here sounds interesting although I haven't really looked at the specs closely.

There's actually TOO many choices out there.. Makes my head hurt :) 
Previous feedback to the OP has been very instructive although my goals are somewhat different than hers.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
m
0
l
October 26, 2012 10:07:20 PM

jones0610 said:
hers.

His, lol. Although we do share the account. Anyways...

I heard only NZXT cases only take NZXT case fans. Is this true?
m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 27, 2012 1:11:03 AM

jones0610 said:
I have the exact same question so figured I'd piggy back on this one instead of creating a new, identical thread.

Airflow and keeping the box cool is my primary concern. Obviously I want something that looks reasonable but I don't care that much about "sexy". I'm probably looking in the $150-$180 +/- range. Definitely don't mind paying more (up to $230 or so) for something that is demonstrably better... I tend to recycle cases so this one will be in service for at least 5-7 years and likely much longer.

I've been looking at cases that accommodate a LOT of fans. I like the full towers but am concerned that they may be too big for the provided cables and plumbing. I'm sort of leaning towards Mid sized for this reason.

Not a deal breaker one way or another but a strong preference would be the ability to take a Corsair H100 water cooler without problems. I'll most likely be running a ASUS P8Z77-V Deluxe LGA 1155 with an i7-3770 Ivy Bridge or something in that realm. And a 1000W modular PSU. I prefer to have lots of USB3.0 connectors out front but if there's only two that's not a deal breaker. Very high quality case, Vendor with a long track record of building quality cases, etc. I'm not anal about it but something that will allow me to properly dress the cables would be a plus.

My two front runners would be the HAF-X and HAF-XM models.
Also looking at the high end Corsair Carbide models.
Considered the DF-85 but quite a few negative reviews frightened me off. My current PC, built 5 years ago has an Antec case and no complaints.
The Rosewell Thor suggested here sounds interesting although I haven't really looked at the specs closely.

There's actually TOO many choices out there.. Makes my head hurt :) 
Previous feedback to the OP has been very instructive although my goals are somewhat different than hers.

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice.
Hmmm...sounds like maybe one of these are for you. Corsair Graphite Series 600T Silver Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 2:30:43 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Hmmm...sounds like maybe one of these are for you. Corsair Graphite Series 600T Silver Steel structure with molded ABS plastic accent pieces ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


If I was the OP I would definitely mark yours as the best answer. Carefully looked over the specs and reviews and this seems like the best case that's out there for my needs.

I did have a chance to get my hands on an HAF-XM today and it is a very well constructed box. Looks like it would certainly do the job. I'll compare their specs together to see which is better but it seems likely that either choice will work out well for me.

I think if I stick another four 120mm fans in the side panel of the 600T my PC will be a wind tunnel. Just what I want.

Also got a chance to play with Windows 8 and I have to say that I am not impressed. My drivers for building this new PC were 1) my current PC is five years old and 2) I'm running XP Pro which I am sure MS will stop supporting before too much longer.

Windows 8 may be great for tablets/laptops but I don't see many desktop users liking it much, especially if they don't have a touch screen. Guess I'll be loading up Windows 7, which I hate to do since it is soon to become a legacy OS. And/or Ubuntu..

I suppose I could do the build on XP Pro but I'm guessing the upgrade from XP to whatever replaces Win8 is going to be a bear.

In any case, much obliged for the case recommendation!

m
0
l
a c 122 ) Power supply
October 28, 2012 2:42:12 PM

jones0610 said:
If I was the OP I would definitely mark yours as the best answer. Carefully looked over the specs and reviews and this seems like the best case that's out there for my needs.

I did have a chance to get my hands on an HAF-XM today and it is a very well constructed box. Looks like it would certainly do the job. I'll compare their specs together to see which is better but it seems likely that either choice will work out well for me.

I think if I stick another four 120mm fans in the side panel of the 600T my PC will be a wind tunnel. Just what I want.

Also got a chance to play with Windows 8 and I have to say that I am not impressed. My drivers for building this new PC were 1) my current PC is five years old and 2) I'm running XP Pro which I am sure MS will stop supporting before too much longer.

Windows 8 may be great for tablets/laptops but I don't see many desktop users liking it much, especially if they don't have a touch screen. Guess I'll be loading up Windows 7, which I hate to do since it is soon to become a legacy OS. And/or Ubuntu..

I suppose I could do the build on XP Pro but I'm guessing the upgrade from XP to whatever replaces Win8 is going to be a bear.

In any case, much obliged for the case recommendation!
:lol:  thanks
m
0
l
October 28, 2012 9:30:55 PM

The obsidian series is great, i will get the 800d
m
0
l
!