Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Water cooling and case upgrade

Last response: in Systems
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 6:03:39 PM

I am upgrading my graphics card, psu and cooler. :bounce: 

Is there a need to get a new case? I want to water cool my processor, are there any recommendations on case and water cooling?

If my case if fine then let me know of a water cooling system that will work in it i.e. custom closed, etc.

Thanks!!
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 6:37:45 PM

Gallarian said:
It says on the Thermaltake website, that your current case is 'Not Capable' of watercooling:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1308&ID=19...

What are your chosen upgrades? Need to know in order to suggest a case that would fit it all, e.g. certain graphics cards will not fit in some cases.

Would you recommend getting a new case?? Does that mean custom water cooling or any water cooling?
m
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 6:41:55 PM

I would recommend a new case if youre 100% set on watercooling, seeing as the manufacturer says yours is not capable - I would have thought it meant any water cooling, due to the fact is lacks adequate space for a radiator or tube holes.

Again though, in order to suggest a good case theres a couple of things that we'll need to know:

1) What are your chosen upgrades? (what Graphics card are you getting, psu etc)
2) What is your budget for a case?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 7:18:48 PM

I am not set on water cooling I might get a cooler master 212 evo if water cooling is not an option. Do you think that an h100 would work in it?
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:14:26 PM

No, I wouldnt have thought a H100 would work.

If youre ok with Air cooling, then your case should be fine as long it fits your upgrades in it (which it should).

If you do get a third party CPU cooler like the 212 Evo - Id highly suggest Overclocking your CPU up from 3.3ghz - itll make a huge difference.

I have the same CPU but OC'd to 4.6ghz and the difference in performance is definitely substantial, increasing FPS in games like Skyrim by up to 15.

In fact, when my OC got reset after some BIOS updates, which I didnt immediately notice, after I started up a game I instantly thought 'wtf.. why am I running slow' haha
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 8:17:34 PM

It has 2 holes in the back that look like water cooling tubes are made to go through them...but I am fine with air cooling and I will oc it to 4.5 ghz
m
l
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 8:18:22 PM

Is there a under $75 case that is set for water cooling and has a window on the side??
m
l
June 19, 2012 8:37:33 PM

If your case does have the rubber flapped holes in the back, it usually indicates that its compatible with water cooling.. even though the website denies it, it might be worth heading over to their forums and seeing if anyone has your case an knows for certain.

Unfortunately I know of none within that price range - Cases that support Water cooling tend to be more high end and therefore more expensive, usually around the $100+ mark.

To be honest, with your current system there really is no need for Water cooling, seeing as Air cooler will be more than capable of handling an overclocked 2500k - providing you don't live the Bahamas.
m
l

Best solution

June 19, 2012 8:42:36 PM

Just read through a couple of reviews:

'On that note, the top of the case has dual 120mm fan vents. The size and length is just about right for adding a dual 120mm radiator if you go for water cooling.'

So, in contradiction to their own website, it would seem like it is indeed possible for water cooling to be implemented.

AND a Corsair H100 has a 120mm radiator.

So it would seem like your case is fine for what you intended in your original post, though Thermaltake need to update their website!
a b U Graphics card
June 19, 2012 11:59:30 PM

Best answer selected by 2fast4thetown_down.
m
l
!