Canon S2 IS with Fuji TL-FX9B tele converter?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 29, 2005 2:35:53 PM

Well, my trusty old Fuji 602 looks like it will be uneconomic to repair so, it is time for a new camera. My
friend who busted the Fuji is denying it is his responsibility, so he is now an ex-friend. The mongrel.

At first I thought I might move up to a Canon 350D, but for the type of photography that I do, it is overkill.

I have decided the Canon S2 IS would suit me fine. It is like an improved Fuji s602z! ;-)

It is a shame Canon went away from Compact Flash cards and went to SD with this camera, so I'll have to get
rid of my CF cards. I might find someone who has gone the other way and is willing to swap his SD for my CF
cards. ;-)

Anyway, I am wondering if I will be able to use my old Fuji TL-FX9B tele converter with the Canon. I figure
if I purchase the Canon LAH-DC20 lens adapter and use a 58 to 55mm step down ring the Fuji lens will fit the
S2 IS.

Has anyone tried this successfully?

Thanks for any replies.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 7:40:15 PM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 10:35:53 GMT, Old Bugger wrote:

> My friend who busted the Fuji is denying it is his responsibility, so he is
> now an ex-friend. The mongrel.
> . . .
>
> It is a shame Canon went away from Compact Flash cards and went to SD
> with this camera, so I'll have to get rid of my CF cards. I might find
> someone who has gone the other way and is willing to swap his SD for
> my CF cards. ;-)

If your old Fuji 602 didn't use CF cards your friend probably
wouldn't now be an ex. :)

> Anyway, I am wondering if I will be able to use my old Fuji TL-FX9B tele
> converter with the Canon. I figure if I purchase the Canon LAH-DC20 lens
> adapter and use a 58 to 55mm step down ring the Fuji lens will fit the
> S2 IS.
>
> Has anyone tried this successfully?

Not I. And I'm not trying to talk you out of getting the S2 IS,
but Fuji's similar sized S5100 (37-370mm lens) comes with an adapter
tube designed to accept the FX9B. No flash hot shoe, but the just
announced Fuji S9000 does have one, as well as a sensor that's
probably much more sensitive than either of these cameras. While it
doesn't have IS, its additional sensitivity should be more than
enough to offset the S2's IS. Can't say that it would accept your
FX9B though.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 9:56:13 PM

What's witht the CF comment, the friend obviously ruined the camera,
not the card...
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 1:25:35 AM

"Old Bugger" <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote in message
news:o r0ke11omded7u2m98bphd6o6r1st437nl@4ax.com...
> Well, my trusty old Fuji 602 looks like it will be uneconomic to repair
> so, it is time for a new camera. My
> friend who busted the Fuji is denying it is his responsibility, so he is
> now an ex-friend. The mongrel.
>
> At first I thought I might move up to a Canon 350D, but for the type of
> photography that I do, it is overkill.
>
> I have decided the Canon S2 IS would suit me fine. It is like an improved
> Fuji s602z! ;-)
>
> It is a shame Canon went away from Compact Flash cards and went to SD with
> this camera, so I'll have to get
> rid of my CF cards. I might find someone who has gone the other way and is
> willing to swap his SD for my CF
> cards. ;-)
>
> Anyway, I am wondering if I will be able to use my old Fuji TL-FX9B tele
> converter with the Canon. I figure
> if I purchase the Canon LAH-DC20 lens adapter and use a 58 to 55mm step
> down ring the Fuji lens will fit the
> S2 IS.
>
> Has anyone tried this successfully?
Haven't tried it, but I have tried to use a Fuji wide angle adapter on
another lens - the problem I struck was that on the thread mount for the
fuji lens, it is quite deep before the thread starts. This means that when
you try to screw it into a lens, filter or adapter ring, you can't actually
get the thread to start, so you can't screw it on. You could get around it
if your game by sticking the lens in a lathe and cutting down a small part
of the flange so that there is less gap until the thread starts.

> Thanks for any replies.

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 2:15:48 AM

Old Bugger wrote:
<snip>
> Anyway, I am wondering if I will be able to use my old Fuji TL-FX9B
> tele converter with the Canon. I figure if I purchase the Canon
> LAH-DC20 lens adapter and use a 58 to 55mm step down ring the Fuji
> lens will fit the S2 IS.

I can't help you with your question, but if you do end up buying the S2
you may want to check out one of LensMate's adaptors instead of the
Canon one.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/S2.html
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:05:56 AM

On 29 Jul 2005 17:56:13 -0700, wavelength wrote:

> What's witht the CF comment, the friend obviously ruined the camera,
> not the card...

You missed an earlier thread that, while not proving conclusively
that the damage was card related leaves a strong hint of it. Even
if the card was not involved, SD cards are slightly less prone to
mechanical damage. Here's the other thread's OP:

>> Subject: Fuji s602z problem
>> Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2005 23:09:22 GMT
>> . . .
>> Does anyone know of a way to reset a Fuji 602 camera? Or if there
>> is a fuse inside?
>>
>> I made the mistake of loaning my camera to a friend. It came back
>> not working. He muttered something about inserting a CF card
>> not being easy, so I reckon he has either forced one in back to front
>> or not straight.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 11:36:16 AM

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 22:15:48 -0400, J Haag <jhaag@bigfoot.com> wrote:

>> Anyway, I am wondering if I will be able to use my old Fuji TL-FX9B
> > tele converter with the Canon. I figure if I purchase the Canon
> > LAH-DC20 lens adapter and use a 58 to 55mm step down ring the Fuji
> > lens will fit the S2 IS.
>
>I can't help you with your question, but if you do end up buying the S2
>you may want to check out one of LensMate's adaptors instead of the
>Canon one.
>
>http://www.lensmateonline.com/S2.html

Checked that site early in the piece. A lot cheaper than genuine Canon stuff. ;-)
!