Your question

Struggling to fit 24 pin cable

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2012 6:51:42 PM

Hi,
This is the first time of mine building a PC and iteems that I need a little help. The problem is that the 4 pins on the 20 + 4 pin connector aren't going into the socket fully. When I boot it up the fans seem to work but with varying speeds. I get no on screen information when I attempt to boot. Should I be applying more force to the 24 pin connector? Also I have attempted to take it out but to no avail.

Relevant specs:
OCZ stealthXtreme 2 700w PSU
Gigabyte 970a ds3 mb.
Powercolor hd 7770 video card.
Phenom II X4 955 BE

More about : struggling fit pin cable

June 19, 2012 7:03:40 PM

Try inserting the 4-pin plug first and then the 20-pin plug. If that does not work try inserting them both at the same time.

Could be something tiny blocking it also, check the contacts and the plug for anomalies, bends, or debris.

If all else fails place the mobo on top of the mobo box and you'll be able to apply a bit more pressure that way, if you get agitated just walk away for a few and come back to it =)
June 19, 2012 7:11:34 PM

iendigma said:
Try inserting the 4-pin plug first and then the 20-pin plug. If that does not work try inserting them both at the same time.

Could be something tiny blocking it also, check the contacts and the plug for anomalies, bends, or debris.

If all else fails place the mobo on top of the mobo box and you'll be able to apply a bit more pressure that way, if you get agitated just walk away for a few and come back to it =)

Thanks.

The 24 pin now fits but the only message the monitor is giving is 'check video cable'. Is this just a matter of checking if the vga-dvi adapter is secure or should I replace the video card with one I have on hand?
Related resources
June 19, 2012 7:14:43 PM

Is the 6-pin pci cable from your psu hooked to the top of your video card? This is a frequently overlooked connector in 1st time builds.
June 19, 2012 7:18:12 PM

iendigma said:
Is the 6-pin pci cable from your psu hooked to the top of your video card? This is a frequently overlooked connector in 1st time builds.

Yes it is. The three cables that I have plugged in are the 24 pin mainboard connector, the 4 pins supplemental CPU power and the 6 pin pci-e connector.
June 19, 2012 7:23:20 PM

Make sure your ram & video card are seated firmly in the appropriate slots. Make sure all your power connectors are seated firmly (main/supplemental, pci-e) in their appropriate slots as well. Reset cmos, wait a little bit and try again.
June 19, 2012 7:37:35 PM

iendigma said:
Make sure your ram & video card are seated firmly in the appropriate slots. Make sure all your power connectors are seated firmly (main/supplemental, pci-e) in their appropriate slots as well. Reset cmos, wait a little bit and try again.

I replaced the video card, re slotted the RAM, Re secured the monitor cables and the same thing keeps happening. Should I try the card in a different slot?
Should I have only one memory module inserted? Could the CPU be at fault? Does it matter at all that I am using a dvi-vga adapter?
June 19, 2012 7:40:54 PM

Have you tried without the video card in at all? Are you plugging your video cable into the mobo or the video card?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2012 7:42:30 PM

check that the fans are moving.if there not check that the mb is not grounded to the case or the cpu heat sink or the i/o shield.
lot of new builds forget the stand offs and the mb shorts out. also check the case header that the power on and reset cables are on the right pins. you could have a mb that you shorted out the reset pins with one of the led cables and it stuck in reset.
June 19, 2012 7:47:13 PM

I cannot really test it without a video card. It appears that my motherboard has no dvi or vga ports.

BTW, I am doing an external build. It is only the mb, RAM, CPU and GPU that is connected. it is not in the case. Allof the fans are moving too.
June 19, 2012 8:00:04 PM

Try installing the GPU into another PCI slot.
June 19, 2012 8:03:15 PM

Curtis772 said:
Try installing the GPU into another PCI slot.

Monitor still says no VGA input detected and check video cable.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 19, 2012 8:16:57 PM

I don't know much, but maybe try a different power cable from your power supply if available?
a b B Homebuilt system
June 20, 2012 8:47:28 AM

is the monitor a true pc monitor with a white video cable (dvi) or is it a blue cable (vga) and your using an adaptore??
sometime the adaptors is bad or you have the monitor/tv set to the wrong input. if your mb came with a speaker or has debug led codes. make sure if it debug led that the mb posting and has no error codes. if there no speaker pick one up. if a mb is posting fine it give you one beep. check to see if there any fault led on. sometime to see if a mb is posting you have to pull the video card or ram and see if it gives you a cmos beep code.
June 20, 2012 5:20:08 PM

smorizio said:
is the monitor a true pc monitor with a white video cable (dvi) or is it a blue cable (vga) and your using an adaptore??
sometime the adaptors is bad or you have the monitor/tv set to the wrong input. if your mb came with a speaker or has debug led codes. make sure if it debug led that the mb posting and has no error codes. if there no speaker pick one up. if a mb is posting fine it give you one beep. check to see if there any fault led on. sometime to see if a mb is posting you have to pull the video card or ram and see if it gives you a cmos beep code.

Well, I have plugged speakers into the system and I get no beeps whatsoever. I have tried it with out the RAM and graphics. I have also tried my HDMI TV. I have also reinserted my CPU. I am really starting to run out of ideas here.

Here is what I have done so far:
Used three different monitors (2 VGA and 1 HDMI)
Used two different Graphics cards (hd 7770 gigabyte and powercolor)
Tried one stick of ram then the other then in different sockets.
Reinserted the CPU.
Tried the GPU in the other pci-e slot.
Took out the cmos battery for 5 mins then put it back.

Any ideas?
June 20, 2012 8:08:03 PM

Emailed the motherboard manufacturer about the problem.

Any more ideas welcomed.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 7:40:23 PM

From your post it makes it sound like you just plugged in some external speakers, or did you use an internal CPU speaker attached right onto the MOBO (plugs in with other case components). I don't think external speakers will give you the MOBO beep code.
a b B Homebuilt system
June 21, 2012 8:26:53 PM

sounds like to may the power cable not in all the way or there a missing voltage from your power supply. if you have a volt meter i would check the output of the power supply. or if you have a friend with a spare try another ps. if you cant get anything with the new ps i would see someone can test the ps and mb. or return it and get another mb and ps.
!