Sign in with
Your question

HDMI output as tuner?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2012 3:45:15 PM

Hi, never asked a question here before. But I just can't find this question through Google at all.

I have a Dell L501X with NVIDIA GT 435M, Windows 7 Home. It has an HDMI output, but I wondered if it's possible to use that port as an input as well?

I have FiOS cable and the box has HDMI ports for HD viewing. And even though it has USB ports, it won't function as a DVR.

So I was wondering if it's possible to connect the box to my laptop with HDMI and use DVR software to tune to the channels and record my shows? Even better would be if I can still view it on my TV and just have my laptop function as a DVR.

It's been a while since I had cable and I forgot how annoying it is to not be able to pause what I'm watching and come back to it.

More about : hdmi output tuner

April 24, 2012 4:07:52 PM

Sorry, but I'm pretty certain the HDMI port on your laptop is output only. If you're model of the L501X came with the optional TV Input port, you'd need to use that.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 1, 2012 5:33:52 AM

booo!

any tuners that would work with my set up cable service? particularly one with HDMI input for HD DVR?
m
l
Related resources
May 2, 2012 2:07:33 AM

cool. thanks, I'll look into these!
m
l
May 9, 2012 12:25:59 AM

wow, so I guess there's no way around using the cable card or just connecting my set top box to my computer?
m
l
!