Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First Time Builder - Budget is $1000-$1200 - Any Advice?

Last response: in Systems
Share
June 19, 2012 7:27:32 PM

Hey guys, first time posting here as well as first time building a gaming rig; just wanted to get your thoughts or advice on any of the parts that I plan on purchasing. I plan on slightly overclocking my CPU, and I plan on playing GW2 on release.

Budget: $1000 - $1200

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M Mid Tower ATX Computer Case
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $99.99

CPU: Core i7 2700K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $279.99

Motherboard: Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $89.99 (-$50.00 with Microcenter bundle)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1536MB GDDR5 384-bit PCIe 2.0 x16
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $229.99 (-20.00 with rebate)

PSU: ZS Series 750 Watt ATX Power Supply
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $94.99 ($69.99 with rebate)

Memory: HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB)
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $47.99

CPU Cooler/Fan: Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $36.99

HDD: Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARX - OEM
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $119.99

Drive: 22x DVD±RW Super Multi Dual Layer Burner - OEM
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $16.99

Total with tax: $1,156.80

Any thoughts or advice on this build would be beyond appreciated. This rig will be mainly for gaming.
June 19, 2012 7:43:48 PM

Your build basically looks good. However, get the 2600K. There is no reason at all to pay extra for the 2700K. You may even swap it for an 2500K because for gaming the i7 series has no benefit over the i5 series. Perhaps consider Ivy Bridge (i5 3570K)?
Also either get an SSD or get an HDD that spins at 7200 rpm. This one for example.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 8:01:45 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/arEh
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/arEh/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/arEh/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($157.91 @ CompUSA)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: Xigmatek MIDGARD II (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1225.85
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
Related resources
June 19, 2012 8:39:30 PM

the $50 off on ASrock z77 board does not come with an i7 2700k

it is only $50 off if you buy a i5 3570k which is priced at $190 at microcenter

it is better than cheaper than i7 2700k

change ram to these http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

cheaper and better than what you have posted

change HDD to this http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

better performance

i am not a fan of ocz PSU i would rather change to something more reliable

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...

and if you have enough money to change the GPU i would change to a 7850 or a 560 TI
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 8:42:41 PM

I wouldn't get that gtx 480 unless you plan to cool it really well. It gets very very hot! A 7850 would be a good swap if you can drop the cash.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 10:47:43 PM

Actually I'm going to suggest this

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - $220
i7's are NOT for gamers, $100 more for pretty much NO performance boost while gaming.

CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK-140 - $60
Be sure to rotate it 90 degrees or it will perform pretty poorly.

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 - $140
This is a solid lower end Z77.

Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 - $45
1600 RAM, nothing special

Performance Drive: Mushkin Chronos 90GB - $90
Good price/capacity

Storage Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM - $88
1TB platter = more reliable

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB - $400
Performs better than Radeon HD 7970 in a lot of situations, $80 cheaper.

Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout - $69
A pretty nice, sexy case.

Power Supply: NZXT HALE82-650M - $90
650W PSU with 4 PCIE connectors, in case you want to SLI down the road.

Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer - $18
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 11:19:00 PM

Wow thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'll consider all of your advice very seriously. I'm going to go look at everyone's suggestions right now and post an update.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 11:22:14 PM

Poogination123 said:
Hey guys, first time posting here as well as first time building a gaming rig; just wanted to get your thoughts or advice on any of the parts that I plan on purchasing. I plan on slightly overclocking my CPU, and I plan on playing GW2 on release.

Budget: $1000 - $1200

Case: Cooler Master HAF 922M Mid Tower ATX Computer Case
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $99.99

CPU: Core i7 2700K LGA 1155 Boxed Processor
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $279.99

Motherboard: Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Z77 ATX Intel Motherboard
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $89.99 (-$50.00 with Microcenter bundle)

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 1536MB GDDR5 384-bit PCIe 2.0 x16
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $229.99 (-20.00 with rebate)

PSU: ZS Series 750 Watt ATX Power Supply
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $94.99 ($69.99 with rebate)

Memory: HyperX blu 8GB DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600) CL9 Dual Channel Desktop Memory Kit (Two 4GB)
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $47.99

CPU Cooler/Fan: Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $36.99

HDD: Caviar Green 2TB IntelliPower SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive WD20EARX - OEM
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $119.99

Drive: 22x DVD±RW Super Multi Dual Layer Burner - OEM
Link: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml...
Price: $16.99

Total with tax: $1,156.80

Any thoughts or advice on this build would be beyond appreciated. This rig will be mainly for gaming.

Other than that prehistoric old school heat producing power how 480 in your build, and that SB 2600K everything looks fine. Lose that card. You would need a min 850+watt psu to ever run two of those cards which might not ever happen seeing how that card has been discontinued. Also not sure what the need for a 2TB h/d on a gaming build. Change your RAM to 1600Hz and take a look at the 7850 or wait until next month when the GTX 660 is released for $300. You can use your on die graphics to surf the net, etc.. until that card comes out.

As far as the cpu goes...why do you need hyper threading for a gaming build, and why go with a Sandy Bridge cpu on a new build? It's like you took the old and tried to mix it in with the new. This is a new build so make the best of it and leave out the old school components.
m
0
l
June 19, 2012 11:29:42 PM

Why_Me said:
Other than that prehistoric old school heat producing power how 480 in your build, and that SB 2600K everything looks fine. Lose that card. You would need a min 850+watt psu to ever run two of those cards which might not ever happen seeing how that card has been discontinued. Also not sure what the need for a 2TB h/d on a gaming build. Change your RAM to 1600Hz and take a look at the 7850 or wait until next month when the GTX 660 is released for $300. You can use your on die graphics to surf the net, etc.. until that card comes out.

As far as the cpu goes...why do you need hyper threading for a gaming build, and why go with a Sandy Bridge cpu on a new build? It's like you took the old and tried to mix it in with the new. This is a new build so make the best of it and leave out the old school components.


I went with the Sandybridge because of the overclockability of it. I don't plan on going crazy, like anything over 4 ghz overclock, but having that ability to is nice in the future to keep it relevant.

I went with the 2700k because microcenter doesn't have the 2600k at the one in my area, so for 50 extra bucks, it's the best thing I think I can get, unless you can suggest a similar performing more new CPU?

And the 480 is really cheap right now, which is why I decided to throw that on there. Would you suggest the 570 instead? It's 70 dollars more at my microcenter with about the same performance.

Also does the voltage on the ram matter? Someone told me if I get a voltage higher than my processor's voltage (1.5) it can screw around with my CPU, is that true?



m
0
l
June 19, 2012 11:44:38 PM

Poogination123 said:
I went with the Sandybridge because of the overclockability of it. I don't plan on going crazy, like anything over 4 ghz overclock, but having that ability to is nice in the future to keep it relevant.

I went with the 2700k because microcenter doesn't have the 2600k at the one in my area, so for 50 extra bucks, it's the best thing I think I can get, unless you can suggest a similar performing more new CPU?

And the 480 is really cheap right now, which is why I decided to throw that on there. Would you suggest the 570 instead? It's 70 dollars more at my microcenter with about the same performance.

Also does the voltage on the ram matter? Someone told me if I get a voltage higher than my processor's voltage (1.5) it can screw around with my CPU, is that true?

The 3570K beats the SB cpu's all day long in gaming. Google some benches/reviews. As far as over clocking your cpu with any of these 1155 cpu's (IB or SB)...it's pretty much a waste of time and energy.

http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme... <----- here's an example of what O/C your cpu nets you in extra FPS.

With hyper threading, it's going to hurt you more than help you more times than naught in regards to gaming. Save your money and put it towards a better gpu.

And with the RAM you want 1.5V. If microcenter doesn't have the 1600 1.5V in stock, they can get it from another microcenter store and call you when it's in or you can get it from newegg or amazon just for examples.

With the vid card forget the Nvidia GTX 400 and GTX 500 series cards. They are dead as disco. It's all about the new generation cards these days (AMD 7xxx and Nvidia 6xx series cards). Low power consumption, low heat, PCI-E 3.0 and they are all about performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5818/nvidia-geforce-gtx-6... <----- GTX 670 review w/benchmarks


You can easily push two of these cards down below with a 650w psu and still have headroom.

http://videocardz.com/nvidia/geforce-600/geforce-gtx-66... $300 (due out late July)
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 660
m
0
l
June 20, 2012 12:10:06 AM

Basically if your going to keep the GTX 480 then this is what i suggest you switch the cooler you won't be overclocking it on it's stock cooler trust me i bought a GTX480 for my son and he games allot what i had to do is buy this :GELID Solutions GC-VGA02-01 1 Ball, 1 Sleeve VGA Cooler ICY VISION $54.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
and now the card runs warm lol instead of blazing hot but it's still quite a power hog it does play many current games on ultra/max settings but not all i can tell you it can go toe to toe with a GTX570 or a R7850 but it's a pretty outdated card i suggest you buy the GTX 670 or wait for GTX 660
m
0
l
June 20, 2012 2:58:56 PM

GTX660 is like, August man.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 86.2 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($66.00 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($44.99 @ NCIX US)
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($399.00 @ NCIX US)
Case: BitFenix Raider ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($145.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Sony AD-7280S-0B DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1191.92
(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)
m
0
l
!