Sign in with
Your question

How to configure 7.1 Audio

Last response: in Components
October 23, 2012 2:02:07 AM

Im using a Gigabyte z77x-ud3h motherboard with onboard audio Realtek ALC898. I've read manual and troubleshooted I cant seem to figure out how to ge tit working with my 7.1 surround sound I have in my basement.

Im using the digital audio cable connecting to my amplifier. Normally on my consoles I had sound from my rear speakers so somethings not right.

In the settings for sound there is a few options.
HDMI sound (HDMI to TV) which I could use as I have audio out connecting to my amplifier.
Digital Audio ports
"Speakers" I think its the audio software onboard, its VIA Envy.

Under the speakers option I can test 4, 5.1, 7.1 and enable it however I don't have any devices that use more than sterio for the 3.5mm headphone jack. Unless I can get 7.1 sound on a headphone connector to my amplifer, my only option is configuring it for Digital Audio and HDMI audio. But under any options for those I cant configure for anything over Sterio. My only options are Sterio --(followed by varying kHZ and bit rate)

In my manual it says you have to use the side speaker¢er etc. in the 3.5mm jack area to get 7.1 sound. ??? I don't understand Cant i use the digital audio port ...

Thank you so much.

More about : configure audio

October 23, 2012 12:02:52 PM

Quote:
Im using the digital audio cable connecting to my amplifier. Normally on my consoles I had sound from my rear speakers so somethings not right.

Because SPDIF is incapable of transmitting uncompressed 5.1 audio, except when using Dolby/DTS audio formats.

PC's don't use Dolby/DTS audio formats, limiting you to 2.1 when using SPDIF. You would need a soundcard to convert uncompressed 5.1 to either Dolby or DTS to get more then 2.1 when using SPDIF.

Easiest solution is to just use HDMI, then configure windows to use 7.1 (sounds tab of the Windows Control Panel).
October 24, 2012 12:35:47 AM

gamerk316 said:
Quote:

Because SPDIF is incapable of transmitting uncompressed 5.1 audio, except when using Dolby/DTS audio formats.

PC's don't use Dolby/DTS audio formats, limiting you to 2.1 when using SPDIF. You would need a soundcard to convert uncompressed 5.1 to either Dolby or DTS to get more then 2.1 when using SPDIF.

Easiest solution is to just use HDMI, then configure windows to use 7.1 (sounds tab of the Windows Control Panel).

My amplifier is high end but a a bit old. IT does not have HDMI. Only component, SPDIF, etc.

My TV recieves HDMI and audio out is only SPDIF or Red White.

?? What shuold I do?
Also whats the diff between 5.1 vs 7.1 and usually how do people connect their system to a 7.1 (cables)
Related resources
October 27, 2012 1:45:47 AM

You siad I would need a soundcard to convert it into Dolby but under SOUND in my control panel I found the SPDIF option and under properties there is a page called Supported Format. In this page there is two boxes, with 3 option each

looks like this

DTS audio
Dolby Digital
Windows WMA Pro Audio

and

44.1khz
48.0 khz
96.0 khz

There are check boxes infront of each option and you can test and see which ones work. For SPDIF testing only Dolby Digital works so I only have that checked. Im assuming this is compressing the Audio and my amplifer linked above has features listed that say they can decompress Dolby and DTS. So whats wrong? 5.1 works fine when I test it in the control panel however games and even VLC player set to 5.1 does not use my other speakers.

Thanks
!