Need Help Choosing A GFX Card

hybridevil1

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Ok, I am new to this forum but I really need help deciding between a few gfx cards. Iv been holding off on buying one for over a year but I think its time. I currently have a Radeon x1650 pro 512mb. For the new card I thought I might try Nvidia because iv always used ATI in the past..Just need some input. The following links are my top choices so far...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130759

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130623

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130662

my budget is about 240$ max..

Id like it to be a little future proof aswell..

If you have any other cards to suggest then please do.

System Specs if needed:

Mainboard:ASRock N68-S
Processor :AMD Athlon II X3 425 @ 2700MHz
Physical Memory :4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card :Radeon X1650 Series
Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD103UJ SCSI Disk Device (1000GB)
Operating System : Windows 7(64-bit)

I will be buying new RAM and Mobo, a few weeks after I get this card aswell.

THNX GUYS!

wolflive

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
Out of those nvidia cards I would recommend the GeForce GTX 560 Ti. Can play most games on max even with an older mother board setup. It uses alot over power though but I think your PSU can handle one of these.

hybridevil1

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
do you think the gfx card might bottleneck my current rig? I will be running this card on this rig for about a week or 2 before buying a new mobo so i can get 16 gigs of ddr3.... and do u think 16gigs is overkill ?

funguseater

Distinguished
Having a GPU bottleneck for a couple of weeks is less important than being stuck with an under performing GPU when you replace the motherboard (and 16GB is too much unless you are running multiple virtual machines) 8 GB is more than enough.

I highly recommend an HD7850 if only for its overclocking ability, you can OC almost to the level of a 580.

Fungi

ps I would also try and overclock that CPU of yours up to around 3.4 if you can, that will help offset some of the bottleneck.

funguseater

Distinguished
####OFF TOPIC #### Ha Ha or you could pick up one of these...

NVidia is also planning an Asian launch for their next card, introducing the GTX-690 at the Shanghai GeForce LAN at the end of the month.

The Radeon HD 7990, codenamed “New Zealand”, is AMD’s ‘GTX 690 killer’, and is expected to pack two unlocked 28 nm “Tahiti” GPUs, 4,096 Graphics CoreNext stream processors, and 6 GB of GDDR5 memory."

-Hardware Canuck

ps probably have to sell BOTH kidney's for one of these.

joafu

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
My main rig, and the ones I built for my gf, my parents, and my brother all have asrock in them, never a problem or return. Only once was the onboard video a little funky; it was on my brother's N68C-S, but he was moving onto a dedicated anyway so it was no worries.

ASRock is just a cheap spin-off from Asus, and I think they hold their quality better than the cheap Foxconns and Biostars that they compete with. At least the AMD side holds up, I haven't had an Intel set-up for a while.

That GTX 480 is at an amazing price, but if heat or noise is a concern, maybe go with the GTX 560. If neither of those matter, the 480 is the the fastest of all those cards, and most bang for the buck.