marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
it depends on your budget. Intel is always the way to go when it comes to gaming. 70$ pentium dual core G850 beats the 170$ FX 8120 8 core in gaming. since the fx4170 is 130$, i'd suggest getting this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116775&name=Processors-Desktops

but if you can fork out the extra money, i'd strongly recommend this: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115234&name=Processors-Desktops

you should list the rest of your builds parts and your budget so we can get a better idea of what we are dealing with here.

I wouldn't bother with Bulldozer if the main purpose of this computer is only gaming. I would go with an I3 or a Pentium G both of those are faster and all around better CPU's for gaming.

AbdullahG

Distinguished
Depends on the budget. The "best" CPU for gaming would an i5 2500K/i5 3570K. However, the FX 8120/8320 are also nice alternatives if you want something cheap that overclocks very well. The FX 4170 is rather a low-end CPU, but with a low to mid-range GPU (a high-end one would bottleneck it) and a nice overclock, it should be able to game fairly well. The non-k i5s are fine as well if you cannot afford an i5 2500K/i5 3570K, but lack the ability to overclock well.

Ok but we still need to know your budget. How much do you want to spend on the CPU and motherboard?

It seems the I5 is stretching his budget so my guess is the I7 would really be out of reach. Also for gaming there really is no need to get a I7, it will be overkill if all he is doing is gaming. The I7 offers nothing more over the I5 except hyperthreading and extra cache two things games don't even make use of right now. If he had the money for either an I5 or I7 he would be better off with the I5.

Hazle

Distinguished
the Pentium G8xx and i3's would be a better choice over the FX-41xx in most cases and a heck of a lot cheaper too in the former's case.

if you seriously want a quad core, the Phenom II X4 955BE/965BE/960T are still viable choices, though they are showing it's age.

Piledriver is just around the corner, though so you're better off being patient and wait for the benchmarks for the FX-43xx CPUs. hopefully, it'll be (far) better than the FX-4170 and the Phenom II X4's..... hopefully *crossing finger*.

mubin

Distinguished
No, i3-3570k is better than 2500k. Few more frame though. If you are on tight budget, go for AMD phenom ii x4 956BE. It can handle your 550ti well. You will stuck by your gpu before your cpu do.

If you have no gpu upgrade in mind, the phenom ii x4 956BE is the way to go. Its a true quad core with good price. But if you have upgrade in mind, then go for intel as other said.

Well it depends. The Ivy Bridges I3's range from 130 to 150 dollars. The Sandy Bridges I3's run from 120 to 150 dollars. Which one you get depends on the cost of the motherboard. The two go hand in hand and have to come to a total of 340 dollars.

pushanthegreat

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Can U Suggest