removing icons

how do u remove the icons next to the clock bottom right of screen
3 answers Last reply
More about removing icons

    In news:5BCEA13E-84AC-4A8E-A190-7A7E5F4CDE04@microsoft.com,
    watang <watang@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > how do u remove the icons next to the clock bottom right of
    > screen

    First of all, the area you're talking about is called the "Sytem
    Notification Area," also informally called the "System Tray."

    The icons there represent running programs--usually programs
    running in the background, and usually programs that start
    automatically when you boot. Do you want to just remove the
    icons, or stop the programs from starting automatically? I assume
    the latter.

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start. Many can easily
    and best be stopped that way. If that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG
    from the Start | Run line, and on the Startup tab, uncheck the
    programs you don't want to start automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how many of
    these programs you run, but which. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these with at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    What icon are you talking about? Icons in the notification area refer to
    programs that are laoded at start-up. If you need that particular program
    you will not be able to delete the icon without disabling the application.
    You can, however, hide the icon so it doesn't appear int he system tray. To
    do this right click on a vacant part of the taskbar and select Properties.
    On the taskbar tab at the bottom of the window you will see an option marked
    'hide inactive icons'. This is ticked by default. Click the Customize
    button. The customize notification window will open. look down the list
    until you find the icon you want to hide. When you have found it highlight
    it. A box will now appear on the right of the window with a down pointing
    arrow. Click the arrow and select 'Always Hide' from the drop doen menu.
    Finally click Ok followed by Apply in the next window and Ok again. The icon
    should now disappear from the notification area.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert

    "watang" <watang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do u remove the icons next to the clock bottom right of screen

    watang,
    In addition to what John has said, you can check the program's
    preference/settings tab, it might have an option to hide the icon from
    there. Also if you don't need to program to be running in the background at
    Windows start-up. You might, again in the program's preference/settings tab,
    uncheck anything for automatic start-up when PC or Windows start, or
    automatic update searches for that program.

    Rich/rerat

    (RRR News) <message rule>

    "John Barnett MVP" <freelanceit@mvps.org.NOSPAM> wrote in message
    What icon are you talking about? Icons in the notification area refer to
    programs that are laoded at start-up. If you need that particular program
    you will not be able to delete the icon without disabling the application.
    You can, however, hide the icon so it doesn't appear int he system tray. To
    do this right click on a vacant part of the taskbar and select Properties.
    On the taskbar tab at the bottom of the window you will see an option marked
    'hide inactive icons'. This is ticked by default. Click the Customize
    button. The customize notification window will open. look down the list
    until you find the icon you want to hide. When you have found it highlight
    it. A box will now appear on the right of the window with a down pointing
    arrow. Click the arrow and select 'Always Hide' from the drop doen menu.
    Finally click Ok followed by Apply in the next window and Ok again. The icon
    should now disappear from the notification area.

    --
    John Barnett MVP
    Associate Expert
    http://freespace.virgin.net/john.freelanceit/index.htm

    "watang" <watang@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > how do u remove the icons next to the clock bottom right of screen

Configuration Microsoft Customization Icons Windows XP