okk3r

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I recently upgraded from a Radeon HD 4650 to a HD 6670, and it appeared to work fine for a while until recently.

Somehow the textures in some games (Skyrim and SWToR) appear to be loading extremely slowly, causing the game to stutter terribly. In other games the card runs smoothly with no trouble (Saints Row: The Third and Space Marine)
I've solved the issue by doing a complete wipe of drivers, uninstalling them through the remove tool and Driver Sweeper.

But apparently the same issue has re-occured, only to be solved again by the same procedure.

I'm at a complete loss as to what could be the cause, any ideas?

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
you probably need to tweak the graphical settings, remove Antialiasing, lower texture graphics, because that gpu isn't too powerfull to handle those games (Skyrim and SWTOR) at high settings. probably tweaking the graphics will fix your issues.

okk3r

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Needs to be said that the HD4650 ran those games with the EXACT same settings.
The issue has occured with no changes what-so-ever to the settings.

Seems odd to me that a seemingly more powerful card has these issues when an older card does not.

okk3r

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Both cards have 1GB.

I was starting to suspect a wonky PSU, seeing as I haven't got a high end unit, though I imagine that would cause the issue to occur constantly instead of just occasionally.
I'm no expert on this in anyway so it's just guesswork from my end.

ricardois

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2011
well driver issues could be it, try using an older driver version.

Alsowhat is your CPU? a weak CPU can be bottlenecking the videocard on games that are very cpu demanding like skyrim.

okk3r

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
CPU wise, I'm running a Phenom 9750 quad-core @2.40GHz.

But like I said before, I have been able to run the games mentioned before with no difficulties at the exact same graphic settings. The problem only occurs when I use the new card.

okk3r

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I'm seeing distant geometry with textures as it appears normally, but the game just appears to stutter immensely until it has loaded the texture, after which it will run smoothly until I move onto a new area. (does that make sense?)
This is in Skyrim, by the way.

In SWToR the FPS drops immensely just by looking at the character selecting screen.

It might not even be a texture related problem, but I've reported it as I see it.

As for the DDR3 memory question, as far as I recall they both use the same yes.

okk3r

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
An update, it appears that whenever I reboot after installing drivers to "reset" the issue, it re-occurs.

I'm going to try installing an older set of drivers and see what happens.