Gaming Build < $1500

alovita

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next few weeks

Budget Range: < $1500

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, watching videos, surfing the internet

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: Intel CPU, Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Yes, to a stable point.

SLI or Crossfire: Not currently but would like the option in the future.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 single monitor

Additional Comments: Want to spend the money where it counts and try to save where it makes no difference. I would like this pc to be able to handle high end games for the next 2 years or so. I want to be able to incrementally update my pc with new parts rather than shell out another $1500 for a new system every 2 years. I mainly play MMOs and RPGs (WoW, SWTOR, Skyrim, Mass Effect etc).

---------------------

Currently Selected Parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge

CPU Fan: ZALMAN CNPS10X Extreme 120mm CPU Cooler

GPU: MSI Nvidia Gtx 670

MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB

HDD: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM

PSU: CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W

Case: Rosewill CHALLENGER-U3

The current cost of the above components on newegg is $1272.41 which includes rebates and promo codes. I am hoping that the experts here at tom's hardware can tell me if any of the components I have selected don't make sense, or if there is anything that would work better and/or give me better performance for the dollar. I also welcome any and all comments/suggestions that anyone may have even if they do not address the specific concerns that I listed. If there is any additional information that I can provide that would be helpful please let me know. Thanks in advance :).

Solution
You can actually go down to an Extreme4 if you don't need Firewire or a ton of USB ports and save a little.

I'd stay with the 670 GTX and get the largest SSD your budget will handle. It's insanely fast for everything from boot to level loads and just generally makes the whole PC seem faster (no, no FPS increase). Will *never* go back to a HDD.

Patflute

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Sabertooth is pointless if you're not going to use the features or if you're not a aesthetics freak.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157295 Is much more practical.
or: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

You should get a Crucial M4 64gb for your important apps and windows.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148441

You could with a higher storage amount if you want.

You have a large budget so I would get a slightly better case for like $70 or $80. You could shell out an extra $100 for a 680 instead of a 670.

Also your CPU cooler link leads to your hard drive.

alovita

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Thanks I fixed the cpu fan link. I also updated the mobo to your ASRock suggestion. I dont know how I missed that one when I was looking earlier.

Regarding the case I just want something that is going to hold my components really. I dont need anything flashy or high end. If a more expensive case can offer me something worthwhile I would definitely go for it.

From the reading I have done a 670 with a stable OC is just as good as a 680. I do not know if that actually is the case.

My main goal in this rig is gaming performance. Would an SSD give me a noticeable boost in performance during gameplay, or would I really only see gains while the game is initially loading?

You can actually go down to an Extreme4 if you don't need Firewire or a ton of USB ports and save a little.

I'd stay with the 670 GTX and get the largest SSD your budget will handle. It's insanely fast for everything from boot to level loads and just generally makes the whole PC seem faster (no, no FPS increase). Will *never* go back to a HDD.

Solution

alovita

Honorable
Jun 19, 2012
Ok you guys have sold me on the ssd, but 64gb isnt big enough, so ill need to get a 128gb min.

Has anyone had experience with rosewill cases? The one in my initial post seems to have everything I would need.