Phenom II x6 1100T BE not working...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirt33n

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
Hey guys,

I just recently purchased a used Phenom II x6 1100T Black Edition CPU off eBay to upgrade from my current Phenom II x4 965 Black Edition processor. Well it arrived last week, but not necessarily in the "perfect" condition that the seller described, for it had what appeared to be a white thermal compound caked on the sides of the chip and even on and around the pins on the underside. I obviously wasn't going to install the CPU into my board in its present state, so I spent roughly 5 hours meticulously and carefully cleaning the chip with a toothbrush and 91% isobutyl alcohol. :fou:

After cleaning it to a satisfactory state and letting the processor "dry", I proceeded to install the CPU taking all the necessary anti-static precautions, etc.

When I finally had the processor installed, I booted up my system. It started booting, but would not go past the BIOS screen or even allow me to enter the BIOS setup utility. I even tried clearing the CMOS settings, but no luck. It would occasionally go to a black screen with a blinking underscore after the BIOS screen and other times show up with a bunch of upside-down question marks and random symbols.

I even tried re-seating the processor, but with still no luck. Eventually, I had to remove the chip and re-install my Phenom II x4 965 which booted up perfectly.

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5 that has the required AM3 socket type (obviously). I'm really hoping that I'm missing something here like possibly a BIOS update that would allow this CPU to work, but I'm fearing the worst. The seller said that it worked fine before he removed it from his Asus motherboard, but I can't know for sure...

If anyone has any help regarding this issue, it will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.