Sign in with
Your question

What should be my next upgrade?

Last response: in Components
October 23, 2012 4:43:12 AM

hello everyone. i am looking to upgrade my gaming pc. i have done a couple upgrades in the past year as in a new case, new video card, new cpu. but i only upgraded a bit on the case and cpu. i would like to know, based on my current specs, should i upgrade anything? i have about 250 to spend.

Specs:
MOBO:biostar ta790gx128m
CPU: phenom 2 x4 945 oc to 3.45 ghz.
RAM:8 gigs ddr2
PSU:650 watt ocz zt series
GFX: MSI twin frozr gtx 660 oc editon
CASE: cooler master haf 912 (horrible modded paint job that failed miserably lol)

i like my current system but im finding some games struggle with my current cpu. i would love a corsair 650d and some nice green lights but do i need a system upgrade first?

thanks

More about : upgrade

a b à CPUs
October 23, 2012 6:04:01 AM

What CPU cooler do you have? Seems like you should be able to get a more aggressive overclock out of that chip.

A solid air cooler could prove to be a really cheap system upgrade. If and only if you are able to push that chip to it's limits.
m
l
October 23, 2012 3:25:19 PM

mlcaouette said:
What CPU cooler do you have? Seems like you should be able to get a more aggressive overclock out of that chip.

A solid air cooler could prove to be a really cheap system upgrade. If and only if you are able to push that chip to it's limits.

well for starters i have the hyper 212 plus. and my cpu is not a black edition. i can oc it bios but only so much. the bios doesnt let me change voltages. so i can only go so high before needing a voltage increase
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2012 10:29:02 PM

Thanks, I did know that it wasn't a black edition.

Could you use AMD overdrive to adjust voltage?

Otherwise I'd just put the money into a new CPU and motherboard, something that can put that gtx 660 to good use. You could sell the old ones on ebay to slightly offset the cost.

m
l
October 24, 2012 4:21:50 AM

mlcaouette said:
Thanks, I did know that it wasn't a black edition.

Could you use AMD overdrive to adjust voltage?

Otherwise I'd just put the money into a new CPU and motherboard, something that can put that gtx 660 to good use. You could sell the old ones on ebay to slightly offset the cost.

thanks for all ur help. ill see what i can do. do u have any good upgrade suggestions? very budget oriented. about 300 to spend
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 24, 2012 7:13:51 AM

Pretty standard suggestions for that budget would be an ivy bridge i5 (k series if you want to OC) or a fx 8320. Kinda depends on if you want AMD or Intel. Then of course a motherboard that has all the features you want. It shouldn't be to hard to find with a budget that size for just a cpu and M/B.

You'll need some ddr3 ram too but that stuff is fairly cheap.

The two CPUs trade blows in different areas, i5 being the best for gaming and the fx the best for heavily threaded tasks like video encoding.
m
l
!