Nikon D70 - RAW import to Photoshop Elements

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 29, 2005 5:42:39 PM

I've just bought a D70 and I'm puzzled about how to import RAW images into
Photoshop Elements. Although the Nikon images are apparently RAW format,
they download as NEF files and Elements doesn't know how to handle them. I
tried the rather naive trick of renaming them from .NEF to .RAW but no such
luck. Please could someone advise me how I can get the D70's NEF files to
load into Photoshop Elements as RAW files? I can't see any obvious
conversion method in Nikon PictureProject, which comes with the camera.

Must admit I'm using version 1 of Photoshop Elements, but it does have RAW
as one of its known file types.

Perhaps it's hidden somewhere in the D70's 200-page manual...

Thanks!

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Andy Clews <A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk> wrote:

>I've just bought a D70 and I'm puzzled about how to import RAW images into
>Photoshop Elements. Although the Nikon images are apparently RAW format,
>they download as NEF files and Elements doesn't know how to handle them.

You need version 3 of Photoshop Elements to handle RAW files. As an
alternative you can download the free Pixmantec RawShooter Essentials
RAW converter which is quite good. www.pixmantec.com

--
Mark Roberts
Photography and writing

Elements 1 doesn't have any native RAW support. This was only introduced in
version 3, which you can get for around £50.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
www.dpnow.com

"Andy Clews" <A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:D cdbof$d3b$1@south.jnrs.ja.net...
> I've just bought a D70 and I'm puzzled about how to import RAW images into
> Photoshop Elements. Although the Nikon images are apparently RAW format,
> they download as NEF files and Elements doesn't know how to handle them.
> tried the rather naive trick of renaming them from .NEF to .RAW but no
> such
> luck. Please could someone advise me how I can get the D70's NEF files
> load into Photoshop Elements as RAW files? I can't see any obvious
> conversion method in Nikon PictureProject, which comes with the camera.
>
> Must admit I'm using version 1 of Photoshop Elements, but it does have RAW
> as one of its known file types.
>
> Perhaps it's hidden somewhere in the D70's 200-page manual...
>
> Thanks!
>
> --
> Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
> (Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

July 29, 2005 5:51:36 PM

Thus spake Digital Photography Now unto the assembled multitudes:
> Elements 1 doesn't have any native RAW support. This was only introduced in
> version 3, which you can get for around £50.

Thank you - I did wonder if I had a too-Elderly Elements :-)

Time to fork out for Elements 3, then...

Andy

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 5:59:12 PM

There's a great book with CD-based video training I reviewed recently on
DPNow, aimed at Elements 3 users; it's very good - see:

http://www.dpnow.com/1916.html

"Andy Clews" <A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:D cdc98$dd9$1@south.jnrs.ja.net...
> Thus spake Digital Photography Now unto the assembled multitudes:
>> Elements 1 doesn't have any native RAW support. This was only introduced
>> in
>> version 3, which you can get for around £50.
>
> Thank you - I did wonder if I had a too-Elderly Elements :-)
>
> Time to fork out for Elements 3, then...
>
> Andy
>
> --
> Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
> (Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:18:57 PM

Yep - RawShooter Essentials is excellent, though its user interface is very
different to most other apps, so it takes some getting used to and it's a
stand alone application, so there is no integration with Elements - by all
means download and have a play; if you like it, brilliant, if not, at least
you tried and so maybe PSE3 is the better option.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
www.dpnow.com

"Mark Roberts" <mark@robertstech.com> wrote in message
news:D cdgdd013k9@news3.newsguy.com...
> Andy Clews <A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk> wrote:
>
>>I've just bought a D70 and I'm puzzled about how to import RAW images into
>>Photoshop Elements. Although the Nikon images are apparently RAW format,
>>they download as NEF files and Elements doesn't know how to handle them.
>
> You need version 3 of Photoshop Elements to handle RAW files. As an
> alternative you can download the free Pixmantec RawShooter Essentials
> RAW converter which is quite good. www.pixmantec.com
>
> --
> Mark Roberts
> Photography and writing
> www.robertstech.com
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:42:58 AM

You have an option of opening raw shots with view (nikons free program),
tweaking wb and exposure, saving as tiff. Open tiff with any version of
elements and edit to your hearts content.

Try it. Advantage is it preserves all incamera settings (pse3 wont) and the
raw file opens up looking like the accompanying jpeg looks (many other
programs wont do this). Please try this and we can discuss more. Downside
is it can by time consuming - but fine for limited no of pics.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:11:42 PM

Andy Clews wrote:
> Thus spake Digital Photography Now unto the assembled multitudes:
> > Yep - RawShooter Essentials is excellent, though its user interface is very
> > different to most other apps, so it takes some getting used to and it's a
> > stand alone application, so there is no integration with Elements - by all
> > means download and have a play; if you like it, brilliant, if not, at least
> > you tried and so maybe PSE3 is the better option.
>
> Have already ordered PSE3 - £53.98 incl delivery charge from PC World.
>
> I did consider RawShooter Essentials but you have to sign up for yet more
> junk email which I'm not too happy about.

I didn't. Give them a fake/junk email account if so. I've never
gotten a single email from them, and I love the program...

Ben
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:39:06 PM

Thus spake Digital Photography Now unto the assembled multitudes:
> There's a great book with CD-based video training I reviewed recently on
> DPNow, aimed at Elements 3 users; it's very good - see:

> http://www.dpnow.com/1916.html

Thanks.

Digital Photo magazine in the UK includes a free CD each month with loads
of video tutorials of techniques with PS and Elements.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 12:44:13 PM

Thus spake Digital Photography Now unto the assembled multitudes:
> Yep - RawShooter Essentials is excellent, though its user interface is very
> different to most other apps, so it takes some getting used to and it's a
> stand alone application, so there is no integration with Elements - by all
> means download and have a play; if you like it, brilliant, if not, at least
> you tried and so maybe PSE3 is the better option.

Have already ordered PSE3 - £53.98 incl delivery charge from PC World.

I did consider RawShooter Essentials but you have to sign up for yet more
junk email which I'm not too happy about.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 9:14:10 PM

I have had no junk mail from them in the three or four months I've been
registered with them and the software is remarkably good.

Ian

"Andy Clews" <A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:D cfekt$1k5$2@south.jnrs.ja.net...
> Thus spake Digital Photography Now unto the assembled multitudes:
>> Yep - RawShooter Essentials is excellent, though its user interface is
>> very
>> different to most other apps, so it takes some getting used to and it's a
>> stand alone application, so there is no integration with Elements - by
>> all
>> means download and have a play; if you like it, brilliant, if not, at
>> least
>> you tried and so maybe PSE3 is the better option.
>
> Have already ordered PSE3 - £53.98 incl delivery charge from PC World.
>
> I did consider RawShooter Essentials but you have to sign up for yet more
> junk email which I'm not too happy about.
>

> --
> Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
> (Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 10:50:46 AM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:44:13 +0000 (UTC), in rec.photo.digital Andy Clews
<A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk> wrote:

>I did consider RawShooter Essentials but you have to sign up for yet more
>junk email which I'm not too happy about.

If you are concerned about this create a throw away address at yahoo,
google, etc. The only thing I've ever received from them was notification
of an updated version being available.
----------
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
July 31, 2005 12:34:55 PM

Thus spake kombi45@yahoo.com unto the assembled multitudes:
>> I did consider RawShooter Essentials but you have to sign up for yet more
>> junk email which I'm not too happy about.

> I didn't. Give them a fake/junk email account if so. I've never
> gotten a single email from them, and I love the program...

Ah, but the website wants to send me the download details via email - so I
have to use my real address. I've bitten the bullet and given it a try.
However, the "immediate" email hasn't appeared yet.

Thanks to all for help.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)
July 31, 2005 6:58:47 PM

"Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote in message

> Elements 1 doesn't have any native RAW support. This was only introduced
> in version 3

Actually, I got Photoshop Elements 2 with my D70 last year, and it certainly
supports NEF files.

Greg
August 1, 2005 2:12:06 AM

Andy Clews wrote:

> Thus spake kombi45@yahoo.com unto the assembled multitudes:
>
>>>I did consider RawShooter Essentials but you have to sign up for yet more
>>>junk email which I'm not too happy about.
>

>>I didn't. Give them a fake/junk email account if so. I've never
>>gotten a single email from them, and I love the program...
>

> Ah, but the website wants to send me the download details via email - so I
> have to use my real address. I've bitten the bullet and given it a try.
> However, the "immediate" email hasn't appeared yet.
>
> Thanks to all for help.

I haven't had a problem with them sending me spam/emails. I gave them a
real email address in the end, as their web server rejected the
dodgeit.com address I gave them.
RSE seems very good. I'm pleasantly surprised how well the noise
reduction works - with very little softening. OTOH, I don't like using
the rse sharpening / detail extraction on D70 files. Probably ok with
files from a camera with stronger AA than Nikon, but for prints, a bit
of judiciously applied USM in PS/Gimp seems to give me a better result.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 11:31:39 AM

Thus spake frederick unto the assembled multitudes:

> RSE seems very good. I'm pleasantly surprised how well the noise
> reduction works - with very little softening. [...]

I can't say I'm too enamoured with the user interface. I find it all most
unintuitive, but maybe I'm just used to the 'standard' windows menu layout
used by most programs. I dare say I'll get used to it if I used it
regularly, but with PE 3 shortly to be delivered I can't see that
happening. But we'll see. I don't like to dismiss anything until I've
given it a chance, and I respect the opinions of the obviously experienced
users here.

--
Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
(Remove DENTURES if replying by email)
Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:29:30 PM

Yes, the UI does require getting used to, but the more you get used to it,
the more it makes sense and you realise how powerful it is. It's great for
getting quick results too as there are some handy presets you can click
through for a close match to what you are looking for. Once you have found
the kind of makeover you like, it's applicable to other images and the batch
mode then does the rest. It's quite remarkable that it's free.

Ian

Digital Photography Now
www.dpnow.com

** Try our new forum at http://dpnow.com/Forums.html **

"Andy Clews" <A.Clews@DENTURESsussex.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:D ckj4r$g20$3@south.jnrs.ja.net...
> Thus spake frederick unto the assembled multitudes:
>
>> RSE seems very good. I'm pleasantly surprised how well the noise
>> reduction works - with very little softening. [...]
>
> I can't say I'm too enamoured with the user interface. I find it all most
> unintuitive, but maybe I'm just used to the 'standard' windows menu layout
> used by most programs. I dare say I'll get used to it if I used it
> regularly, but with PE 3 shortly to be delivered I can't see that
> happening. But we'll see. I don't like to dismiss anything until I've
> given it a chance, and I respect the opinions of the obviously experienced
> users here.
>

> --
> Andy Clews University of Sussex IT Services
> (Remove DENTURES if replying by email)

Anonymous
August 5, 2005 8:29:30 PM

Camera RAW is not standard in the retail version of Elements 2.0. The Nikon
bundle probably has Nikon's RAW plug-in pre-installed. If so, it's
completely different to Adobe Camera RAW and the related embedded support in
Photoshop CS/CS2 and Elements 3.0.

"greg" <john@smith.com> wrote in message
> "Digital Photography Now" <infoplsremove@this-dpnow.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Elements 1 doesn't have any native RAW support. This was only introduced
>> in version 3
>

> Actually, I got Photoshop Elements 2 with my D70 last year, and it
> certainly supports NEF files.
>
> Greg

Anonymous
August 8, 2005 5:24:53 PM

Thus spake Digital Photography Now unto the assembled multitudes:
> Camera RAW is not standard in the retail version of Elements 2.0. The Nikon
> bundle probably has Nikon's RAW plug-in pre-installed. If so, it's
> completely different to Adobe Camera RAW and the related embedded support in
> Photoshop CS/CS2 and Elements 3.0.

PE3 arrived chez Clews at the weekend and I can confirm it loads Nikon
NEF/RAW files straightaway.

Of course, now I've got another learning curve to climb, as PE3 is almost
totally different from PE1 :-{

--
!