Sign in with
Your question

USata mSata and switching between them

Last response: in Systems
June 19, 2012 10:32:45 PM

Hi Guys,
thanks for this great forum.

I have Dell Latitude Z with uSata SSD Drive.
I now bought Dell XPS 15z with 2.5" SATA Drive.

I was about to replace between them when I realize they do not match.

my question are:
1. is there a difference between uSATA and mSATA or those are both the same. (the reason I'm asking is that I"m thinking of buying an adapter and all I could find is a mSATA adapter. not sure if it's the same.

2. I was thinking that in both computers there is a cable (flat one) that goes from the motherboard to the disk. can I simply replace the 2 cables?

Thanks fro your help
Idan

More about : usata msata switching

June 19, 2012 11:10:33 PM

I'm about 95% sure they are the same. The different naming schemes come from the use of the Greek letter mu, which looks like a u, as the prefix for "micro" in the SI system.

I could be wrong, but I've seen nothing that specifically differentiates between the two, so I'm thinking they're the same.
m
l
June 19, 2012 11:27:27 PM

thanks man. what about the answer to my second question? do you think I can switch cables between uSata and regular sata?
m
l
Related resources
December 23, 2012 1:08:45 AM

I know this is from awhile back, but it may help somebody, and save them from buying the wrong interface ssd (wish somebody could have for me):

SATA 3.0: 15 (power) + 7 (data) pins

SATA 3.1 = mSATA: 9 (power) + 7 (data) pins

SATA 3.2 = micro SATA: 7 (power) + 7 (data) + 2 Pins

micro SATA is also sometimes called µSSD or µSATA (I believe)

Here's the page I got this info, and the best I've interpreted? (of course if anyone knows different, I'd love to know)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_SATA#Micro_connector

p.s. - and no, none are interchangeable
m
l
May 30, 2013 9:35:43 AM

I have a usata hard drive pulled from Sony Vaio Z laptop. I believe this is called Micro SATA.
The "Gold"pin count is: 7 + 7 + 2

I also see the msata sold in store. I believe this is called Mini SATA which is compatible to PCI Express Mini Card interface and can be plug in to some motherboard.
The "Gold"pin count is: 8 + 18 (It marks P1 to P51 on one side and P2 to P52 on the other side)

In short, I believe usata is not equal to msata.
Ellis
m
l
!