Sign in with
Your question

Monitor shuts off...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2012 9:03:12 PM

Hello,

Don't really know where to put this question, but I figured Graphic and Displays might be the right place.

My monitor has been a big, fat thorn in my side for quite some time now. I'm not even sure it's my monitor's fault. It could well be the GPU or something. However, the symptom of whatever is the issue, is that my monitor shuts off.
It usually shuts off when I'm watching videos and/or viewing a lot of pictures (e.g. searching for images on google). It is, in fact, shutting off while I'm typing this.
It doesn't shut off in the sense it would if I were to push the power button, it just blacks out. I have to turn it off and on, using the power button to turn it on again.

What's wrong?

Edit: The computer is about 5 years old.
Intel Pentium D 3,0 GHz
2 GB Ram
NVidia GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS

More about : monitor shuts

a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 1:27:22 AM

Just to clarify... it does not shut off completely it just "blacks out" leaving your monitor with a black screen but with the monitor still on? Check that the cable from your monitor to your graphics card is well connected, it might just be that. Also try reinstalling the graphics card drivers.
Also when this happens does it flicker and how long is it before the problem begins again?
a c 187 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
April 25, 2012 2:22:37 AM

check your bios and windows power savings to see if there shutting the monitor off at a set time. also some montitors have that power saving feature. if it not power savings it could be the backlight or the power board is failing on the monitor. if it the back light when the screen blacks out you should with a flash light see that your desktop still there.
Related resources
April 25, 2012 11:37:22 AM

carlosb said:
Just to clarify... it does not shut off completely it just "blacks out" leaving your monitor with a black screen but with the monitor still on? Check that the cable from your monitor to your graphics card is well connected, it might just be that. Also try reinstalling the graphics card drivers.
Also when this happens does it flicker and how long is it before the problem begins again?

Yes, the power button gives out a blue light when the monitor is on. The same blue light is on during this "blackout". It doesn't flicker. It could be a loose cable, indeed. I was cleaning this piece of dung a few month ago, and detached the graphics card among other things. Perhaps I did a sloppy job of reattaching.
I'm in the process of buying a new desktop replacement, I had one for a week, but got the wrong screen resolution. So I have to live with this for a few weeks until they start selling ivy bridge laptops in my country.

Edit: It's usually not long inbetween each blackout. Everything from seconds to hours, really. I figured the GPU was overheating so I tried cooling it, but to no avail.

Edit: There is a clear pattern. Whenever I view heavy stuff, or what my 5-6 year old computer would consider "heavy", the monitor blacks out, at least more frequently.
April 25, 2012 2:21:00 PM

Sounds like a thermal issue in the GPU to me causing the driver to fail and crash and recover. Your heavy viewing is making the heat and triggering the issue.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 8:43:54 PM

Quote:
Sounds like a thermal issue in the GPU to me causing the driver to fail and crash and recover. Your heavy viewing is making the heat and triggering the issue.

I agree. The graphics card is generating too much heat by putting a load on it. Or it might be the VRAM failing. Either way it's probably best to get a replacement.

Quote:
I'm in the process of buying a new desktop replacement, I had one for a week, but got the wrong screen resolution. So I have to live with this for a few weeks until they start selling ivy bridge laptops in my country.

If you are getting a new computer and aren't a gamer then you don't necessarily need Ivy bridge as (im guessing) they will probably roll out some expensive, not-so-powerful-but-still-powerful ones first then move on to the lesser ones. A nice H67 board and a processor that has integrated graphics will do for your purpose.
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 9:12:42 PM

rajyohanson said:

I had that problem with a fan-less Radeon 3650. Made me a bit upset that a card marketed as passively cooled fails to run reliably even at moderate loads, had to add fans inside my case to generate some extra airflow around it to make it work properly until I upgraded to a 5770.

Both my 3650 and 5770 seem to have clocking glitches that translate into display glitches and momentary loss of sync (less than a second) on displays when applications initialize or terminate video overlays or 3D when clocks are left to automatic. Those graphics glitches do not occur while overclocking is enabled but can be reproduced by setting the GPU/RAM clocks very low, which leads me to believe this other set of glitches are due to drivers momentarily setting clock rates too low during operational mode changes.
April 25, 2012 9:37:56 PM

carlosb said:

If you are getting a new computer and aren't a gamer then you don't necessarily need Ivy bridge as (im guessing) they will probably roll out some expensive, not-so-powerful-but-still-powerful ones first then move on to the lesser ones. A nice H67 board and a processor that has integrated graphics will do for your purpose.

I'm a casual gamer, but a gamer nonetheless. I also do above amateur sound design or producing, if you will. I'm gonna wait for the Macbook Pros to roll out, because I want their software, but if they're too expensive I'll settle with Windows-based computers. The reason I'll go from a desktop to a laptop, is because I'm gonna move from Scandinavia to Australia this summer, and I don't want to carry a big desktop with me.

Edit: I appreciate your answers. Thank you all! I guess I'll just trash the pile of poop when I get a replacement :) 
April 25, 2012 11:21:08 PM

InvalidError said:
I had that problem with a fan-less Radeon 3650. Made me a bit upset that a card marketed as passively cooled fails to run reliably even at moderate loads, had to add fans inside my case to generate some extra airflow around it to make it work properly until I upgraded to a 5770.

Both my 3650 and 5770 seem to have clocking glitches that translate into display glitches and momentary loss of sync (less than a second) on displays when applications initialize or terminate video overlays or 3D when clocks are left to automatic. Those graphics glitches do not occur while overclocking is enabled but can be reproduced by setting the GPU/RAM clocks very low, which leads me to believe this other set of glitches are due to drivers momentarily setting clock rates too low during operational mode changes.

Man I hate to sound like a hater in any way, but those older gen ATI cards were driver nightmares. They were never able to really fix them with Catalyst updates just by changing architecture. Passive or acting cooling they were doomed. :D 
!