DKU-5 & DKU-2 questions

Last response: in Brands
June 26, 2004 12:22:09 AM

Hey everyone, just a few questions
Is the 6230 compatible with the DKU-5?
On the other hand, are the older series 40 phones (ie 6610, 7250 etc)
compatible with the newer DKU-2 data cable?
Finally, what is the difference between the new DKU-2 cable and the DKU-5?
Thanks =)

Cheers,
Eminent

More about : dku dku questions

Anonymous
June 26, 2004 12:22:10 AM

"Eminent" <eminent@illuminate.com> wrote in message
> Hey everyone, just a few questions
> Is the 6230 compatible with the DKU-5?

No, just DKU-2 and third party pop-port FBUS cables (and infrared and
Bluetooth af course).

> On the other hand, are the older series 40 phones (ie 6610, 7250 etc)
> compatible with the newer DKU-2 data cable?

No, just DKU-5 and FBUS

> Finally, what is the difference between the new DKU-2 cable and the DKU-5?
> Thanks =)

The DKU-5 contains the USB electronics and a microcontroller to perform most
of the wizardry in the cable. DKU-2 is for connecting to 'USB phones', i.e.
the phone itself is a USB device, hence the DKU-2 cable to a large extent is
just a bit of wire (and cheaper as well!)

So with DKU-5, the cable is the USB device, with DKU-2 the phone is the USB
device.

--
Get your phone connected with LogoManager
http://www.logomanager.co.uk

In article <40dc168d$0$27568$ec3e2dad@news.usenetmonster.com>, Mike
Bradley <mike-nospam@bounce.logomanager.co.uk> writes
>So with DKU-5, the cable is the USB device, with DKU-2 the phone is the USB
>device.

Well you learn something every day.

The DKU-2 is so much cheaper than data cables of old that I've bought
two, one for home and one for work :)
--
Toby
Anonymous

> No, just DKU-2 and third party pop-port FBUS cables (and infrared and
> Bluetooth af course).

Hmm, so the dku-2-cable is not a fbus-cable?
But I've seen some software that work with the dku-2-cable and i guess
that the software uses the fbus-protocol. So how does this fit into
the picture?

And what's interesting me even more: with the dku-5-cable you could
just take every ordinary comport-application and let it work together
with the cell-phone, send fbus-commands, at-commands. no problem!
(because of the virtual comport)
Since the dku-2-cable is just a usb-cable there is no microcontroller
that converts the signals and no driver, so that you can communicate
with the phone as a serial device (no virtual comport), right?
If you want to send at/fbus-commands to the phone over dku-2 you would
have to send fbus/at-commands that are wrapped in the usb-protocol?

Juergen
!