The Nikon D50

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
July 29, 2005 2:11:04 PM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the new Nikon D50.

I recently got the Henry's flyer in the mail and they have it on for
less then $1200.00 and it is kitted with the 18-55 DX Nikkor lens as
well as an extra battery and a full size tripod. It seems like a great
buy at that price and I have some cash saved from my job.

If anyone owns the D50 could you let me know what you think of it.
Thanks.

More about : nikon d50

July 29, 2005 7:22:27 PM

Regardless of the quality of the camera the same outfit (minus tripod or
extra battery) sells for $899.95 elsewhere. Check out www.adorama.com. The
difference in price makes for a very expensive battery and tripod. If you
are willing to spend just under $1200 look into the D70s with the 18-70 kit
lens: this is a much better camera/lens.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 10:05:53 PM

Still,

900 US should equal 1100 CAD.
July 29, 2005 11:17:27 PM

birdman <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Regardless of the quality of the camera the same outfit (minus tripod or
> extra battery) sells for $899.95 elsewhere. Check out www.adorama.com. The
> difference in price makes for a very expensive battery and tripod. If you
> are willing to spend just under $1200 look into the D70s with the 18-70 kit
> lens: this is a much better camera/lens.

Psst. He quoted $1200 Canadian. Henry's is a Canadian retailer, the closest
thing we Canucks have to B&H without going to, well, B&H.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:19:20 PM

Jaime <missjaime@canada.com> wrote:
> I recently got the Henry's flyer in the mail and they have it on for
> less then $1200.00 and it is kitted with the 18-55 DX Nikkor lens as
> well as an extra battery and a full size tripod. It seems like a great
> buy at that price and I have some cash saved from my job.

Sorry this won't help, but I was in your shoes just a few weeks ago and what
I ended up doing was going to a local Bleeker's (stereo and TV outfit,
ironically) where they were closing out the D70; they sold me the D70 "at
cost" for what worked out to be about $1200. Otherwise, I would probably
have gone for the D50.
Anonymous
July 29, 2005 11:20:14 PM

In Ottawa I can buy a D50 and kit lens for cad $1,099.99, I don't have
to pay cad $80 to get a $29 tripod and a 3rd party cloned battery (that
wholesales for $16 cad)

Try a real camera store, Henry's ain't B&H They came to Ottawa bought a
great local store using strong-arm tactics and is just another big box
store.
July 30, 2005 2:14:33 AM

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> Regardless of the quality of the camera the same outfit (minus tripod or
> extra battery) sells for $899.95 elsewhere. Check out www.adorama.com. The
> difference in price makes for a very expensive battery and tripod. If you
> are willing to spend just under $1200 look into the D70s with the 18-70
> kit lens: this is a much better camera/lens.
Ummmm, Henry's is in Canada, so that's $1180 CDN. Our shop in Ottawa sells
them for $1099.99 CDN
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 5:31:03 AM

How do you judge D50 is better than the D70s ?
Have you used it ?
as it seems that there is mixed opinion in the reviews, and based from a
friend of mine that use the preproduction unit , he say and quote " its
flimsy and felt like a EOS 300V"

=bob=

"birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
look into the D70s with the 18-70 kit
> lens: this is a much better camera/lens.

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 5:31:04 AM

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
> How do you judge D50 is better than the D70s ?

You didn't read correctly! :-)
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 5:31:04 AM

[BnH] wrote:
> How do you judge D50 is better than the D70s ?
> Have you used it ?
> as it seems that there is mixed opinion in the reviews, and based from a
> friend of mine that use the preproduction unit , he say and quote " its
> flimsy and felt like a EOS 300V"
>
> =bob=
>

> "birdman" <apquilts@pacbell.net> wrote in message
> look into the D70s with the 18-70 kit
>
>>lens: this is a much better camera/lens.

"Mixed opinion"? dcreview.com gives it their highest rating, and
dcresource.com raved about it, as did David Pogue in the New York Times.
What reviews didn't like it?

As to build quality, you evidently haven't held one in your hand.
Perhaps second hand information based on a 'preproduction unit' isn't
the best way to form a judgment.

Bob B.
!