Sign in with
Your question

2 7900 GTs Used w/some light abuse- Should I be concerned?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
April 24, 2012 10:22:55 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm talking to a guy to buy 2 old Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTs to run SLI. He switched them out of his system for new cards because he got a graphical error- the new cards had the problem too, and he figured out his power supply wasn't offering enough amperage- he had the 2 7900 GTs (with a DVD drive and a Card Reader as well) on one rail that provided 9a. He said they were running on there for 3 weeks at the most before he had them switched out. Should I be worried about long term damage from them being on that rail for those three weeks? I don't think so, but I'm not an expert, so I figured I'd ask some people who are. Thanks for any help you can give!
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 10:32:41 PM

How much does he want for them?
m
l
April 24, 2012 10:41:59 PM

Somewhere around $50 total. I'm sure I can negotiate him down a bit- I just want to know if realistically there is a concern that they've been damaged being hooked up to the PSU for a couple weeks before I get into brass tacks with him.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 10:58:18 PM

Hard to say if there was permanent damage, however I would not even consider buying until you've had a chance to test them first. Also, realise those are DX9 cards, and you will not be able to run DX10 or 11 on those cards.
m
l
April 24, 2012 11:16:36 PM

Hrmm. I was worried that'd be the answer I'd get.

The DX isn't a concern for me- I've made do for 6 years without touching my system. The only reason I'm upgrading it is for Diablo 3, and I'm doing it on a bare-bones budget- DX9 is sufficient, and I'm not considering other games now. I need the thing to work, not be pretty. It'll fit the bill. Thanks for the advice, and if anyone else has anything to add, I'd love to hear it!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 24, 2012 11:47:00 PM

Scsaka said:
Hrmm. I was worried that'd be the answer I'd get.

The DX isn't a concern for me- I've made do for 6 years without touching my system. The only reason I'm upgrading it is for Diablo 3, and I'm doing it on a bare-bones budget- DX9 is sufficient, and I'm not considering other games now. I need the thing to work, not be pretty. It'll fit the bill. Thanks for the advice, and if anyone else has anything to add, I'd love to hear it!

you made do for 6 years, well your not making much of a step up cos the 7 series cars are 6 years old! do not get them sli scaling wasnt very good, they have a habit of dieing myself and every one of my friends with a cards from the 6 and 7 series nvidias replaced them due to failure, and dx should be a concerned most of the new games are coded for dx11 and get a lot of performance increase just from using dx11 code and i would be suprised if diablo runs any good even with 2 of these cards. oh and your not interested in graphics quality get a console. your far better off saving a few bucks more and buying a current gen card that has dx11 you wont have driver issue (which u will have) it will be quieter and more efficient and the day u want to upgrade again the card wont be 6 years older the a current gen and you wont be trying to get rid of 2! i only got 50 bucks each for 2 4850 about a year ago and one of them is way better than 2x7900gt's. im in australia we are more expensive than the states and we can get what i would suggest as the minimum gfx card like a ati/amd 6670 1gb for 65 buck much better choice
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 12:29:57 AM

I agree, the cards are old enough that they probably won't have decent performance in Diablo. I suggest trying something like a HD 6750; the one below is less than a c-note, has a $10 rebate on top of that, and even comes with a free game (Stalker: Call of Pripryat, decent game actually). The card also scores 1617 on the Passmark test, while the 7900GT scores a meager 600, about the same as a Radeon x800.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 1:11:18 AM

Those cards would get less performance than a 620gt since of the optimization's Nvidia has made to DX11 in general and diablo 3 needs a minimum of an 8800 to run at medium or low settings. You need a lot more power than those cards, its basically the same performance as my 7950gx2 which is twice as slow as a 8800 gtx.
m
l
April 25, 2012 1:24:45 AM

While I appreciate that I'm not getting much, I cannot stress enough that this is a bare-bones upgrade for one game. I have a console, Diablo 3 will probably not be on it, and the point is to play with my friends, who will be getting it for the PC.

The obstacle here is my entire system is six years old. This includes my 939 socket ASN-SLI deluxe motherboard and my Silverstone sst-st65zf power supply, which are limiting factors for me. I had read there were some issues in getting those cards to work with the PCIE on my MB, and I don't want to spend the money to find out it doesn't work.

Realistically, my budget for the card is $40, and I would have a hard time getting even a 5670 for that. I thought if these cards were probably okay, I could actually get them into my budget, and it would be a good compromise for a game that I personally would be fine keeping on the lowest settings.

If I'm definitively wrong, and those cards will work with my motherboard, then I would reexamine them. I haven't been able to find a definitive answer, though, and I'm just not willing to take the risk. My miserly budget won't allow it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 2:06:31 AM

I haven't seen any reported issues between the A8N-SLI and the 5670 (or the 7900 for that matter), but your budget is tiny indeed.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 4:18:43 AM

if you buy those cards your making a mistake, but end of the day its your money and you have to live them and if you dont want to take our advice thats totally your choice. i would strongly suggest saving for a bit longer so that you can get a newer gfx card. good luck, btw 2 7900gt's will be harder on your psu than something like a 5670
m
l
April 25, 2012 5:06:51 AM

Well, if the PCI E 2.0 cards will work on my motherboard, then with a reasonable stretching of my budget it looks like I can get a 9600 GT or an HD 4670. I'm really not that concerned with the power supply, honestly- it's max 650w and 42a on the 12 v rail. I was more concerned about threads like this one:

http://asustech.15.forumer.com/a/pcie-20-cards-in-an-a8...

That seem to imply that they're simply not compatible with my ancient motherboard. I can't afford to upgrade the motherboard (and thus the cpu- remember, 939) and the video card.

However, other threads, like this one:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265963-30-deluxe-mobo

seem to imply that they do work. If they do, I'm absolutely willing to get a better card if I can afford it, like the 9600 GT or HD 4670. I have a little time, so I suppose I can afford to keep digging for a little while.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 5:16:44 AM

50 dollars will get you a 9800 GTX used or a 4870 don't buy that they are old junk now.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 5:27:54 AM

you will find the slots should be backward compatible
m
l
April 25, 2012 5:12:20 PM

Alright, so it looks like the more recent posts all seem to say it should work, so I went hunting. I found one 9800 GTX in my (extended) price range ($50 after shipping). They'll accept returns too, so I guess that's nice if the pci e 2 ends up not working after all. So I picked it up. Was probably rash of me, but most I saw were over $60 after shipping (same with most of the comprable cards), so I decided to grab it while it was available.

Hopefully this'll work. I guess I have an out if it doesn't. Thanks for the help everyone. I know it's still not ideal, but it's better than what I was looking at originally, and less suspect. Thanks for the help everyone, I'll report back whether it works or not.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
April 27, 2012 7:42:56 PM

Nice work.
m
l
!