Trying to install an HD 6870 - monitor won't start!

icarumba

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
I recently bought an XFX HD 6870 to replace my old 8800 GTX card. My monitor does not start no matter what I've tried, and I have no idea what to do next. The fan on the card DOES work when I turn on the computer.

What I've tried:
-Uninstalled my nVidia drivers
-installed latest 6870 drivers (it was the catalyst control center, I think that's right)
-tried to clear the CMOS

I don't have an onboard gpu, so there's no way to disable it from starting in the first place. Any suggestions on what to try next?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I have an 850w psu, so that won't be the problem either.

icarumba

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Monitor is fine, I can change settings on it normally, and I can also quickly plug in my 8800GTX and it starts up fine, even without any of its drivers. I don't think it's a faulty card, or else the fan wouldn't start, right?

icarumba

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Tried to clear cmos, also I'm running the latest bios (which was updated in 2008) - maybe that's the problem? Doesn't make sense though, I have all required slots and connections for this card to work, yet it doesn't.

sk1939

Distinguished
Hmm, possible that it has a compatibility issue. XFX support is really good, and based in California, so I would shoot them a email and see what they have to say. I would also register your card to enable the lifetime warranty.

icarumba

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Thanks for trying to help guys, still no luck so far. I'll try to call xfx tomorrow and see what they say, but if anyone has anymore suggestions feel free to leave them here!

boljack

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I'll give one more shot try using the supplied power connectors. Just a little input if you going to return the card and if your budget allows it get HD 6950.

I did try the 6870 from a friend while we were building his rig and I see the difference between my previuos card (9800 GTX) but not quite big. Still can't run at full max setting the game I play so I decided to get the HD 6950 and I really feel the big improvement. Just sharing my experienced coming from 9800 GTX almost same as your 8800 gtx.

zdbc13

Distinguished
Hi, what kind of motherboard do you have? I have an old a8n-sli deluxe that I tried to upgrade the video card a couple of days ago. Didn't work at first and I was stumped. Found out I had to put a 4 pin molex power feed into a slot on the motherboard. Before I did that it wouldn't post. Let us know what kind of motherboard you have and I'll check that out... Good luck!

icarumba

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Very interesting zdbc13! I have an old ASUS Crosshair AM2 mobo, that would be great if you could find out. I've never used a molex power feed before...would I just plug it into the card and mobo?

zdbc13

Distinguished
icarumba, your motherboard doesn't have a connector for a molex. I think the old ASUS sli boards used to have it to get extra power for the pice slots. Yours does need an 8 pin ATX connector, and if your power supply only has 4 pins that might limit what you can do with the motherboard. Have to check that out...