Need to upgrade

Don't know alot about hardware but i've had this pc for a few years, I think its time to upgrade something(s). Any advice would be helpful & more info available upon request (not really sure what to offer.
cpu: 3.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 965
gfx: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480
ram: 8gb

I play alot of games, multiple clients/games at once, while streaming music/movies/videos. Just looking for the best over all upgrade(s) available without breaking the bank. Thanks
13 answers Last reply
More about need upgrade
  1. To be honest it already looks pretty good. What monitor do you have? Maybe you should upgrade that. Buy a cooler and OC your cpu a little too.
  2. If you don't have one you could plant an SSD in there for your operating system.
  3. not sure how to use the overclock feature lol D;
    also yesterday i got a windows message saying i needed to close something due to lack of memory, thats what sparked my interest in upgrading. Not really sure why i got the message.
  4. Lack of memory with 8GB? You don't have 32 bit windows do you?
  5. no I use 64 bit OS
  6. ya it didnt sound right to me either lol, ill not exactly what the error was next time if i get it, was just curious if there was anything i should update at this time. thanks for all the posts ^^ could just be a hardware failure with something i have
  7. The only part of your system that's lacking is the graphics. If you drop about 150 into a new card, you could see some nice improvement when you do graphically intense stuff. Otherwise, your system is fine as is.

I'd recommend for example,
    EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards
  8. abekl said:
    The only part of your system that's lacking is the graphics. If you drop about 150 into a new card, you could see some nice improvement when you do graphically intense stuff. Otherwise, your system is fine as is.

I'd recommend for example,
    EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130661&name=Desktop-Graphics-Cards

I believe the 480 is more powerful than the 560 it just draws a lot of power.
  9. Really. Well dunce to me. I don't really know the Nvidia lineup as well as the AMD lineup, so it's perfectly possible.
  10. I just checked anandtech bench and it is similar to the 570 in most games.
  11. Then he really doesn't have to upgrade a thing. An SSD might be nice if money is burning a hole in his pocket.
  12. FYI, if you have an antivirus, or program that is supposed to "optimize" your PC they have a tendency to tell you things like "You may be in danger of having a slow computer/getting a virus if you don't upgrade to super-ultra-plus". Usually they are full of crap. I suggest finding a guide to optimize your OS, and buying a Solid state drive(almost insta-load games/clients).
  13. my 2 cents

- overclock your cpu to 4.0 GHz

- add SSD
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Product