Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help with hp n3100s video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 25, 2012 12:03:11 AM

Hello,
I have a HP s3100n Slimline. I am trying to get a dual video card to work in it. Doesn't have to be high end video quality. I got a Zotac Ge Force 8400 GS dual output (VGA and DVI) video card. I chose this card because of it's low power consumption. I installed it but the HP dose not see it. I selected the PCI-e slot in the BIOS.
As We all know the hp Slimline has a 160 watt power supply. Min requirements are 300 watts for the video card. I have found a replacement power supply of 250 to 300 watts.
I have read about others with this problem, but could not find any where that this worked. Can I get some thought on this. It's a sure thing. It may or may not work. Should I check something else.
Thank You

More about : n3100s video card

a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 12:33:11 AM

It probably does not have the power to drive the card, so yes, a replacement is needed.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 12:41:12 AM

If you could get me the amps on the 12v rail I will be able to tell you if any of your PSUs will work. On the PSU should be a sticker with numbers on like 3.3v = 17a + 5.v =13a + 12v = 14a

m
0
l
Related resources
April 25, 2012 2:06:58 AM

The numbers on the back are AC input 100-127V-4A
50/60Hz 200-240 V-2A
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 2:13:03 AM

Those numbers are on the out side where you plug the power into, what I need is on the power supply it self inside your case. I am sorry I should have stated inside your case my bad.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 2:33:00 AM

ok, on the bottom of the power supply output +12v /12A -12v /0.1A
max output +5v /14A +5stb /2A
160W +3.3 /8A the combined power on +3.3 & +5v total 90w max
the combined power on +12v & +5v total 150w max
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 2:37:58 AM

Yeah...that would be why.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 2:58:27 AM

To save me a lot of time. What is its power consumption in watts? Also thanks for getting that info. Your power supply puts out 144w on the 12v rail so in order for that PSU to work the card would have to draw between 90 to 100w

So I was looking at a 8800 GT it max under load 85w and it is a better card than yours. The 90 to 100w is under load not idle. So I was looking around a little more and found that your card uses max between 23w to 30w so that PSU will work for that card.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:04:48 AM

Ok, I am trying to get the power supply out. The replacement is a 250 or 300 watt. Can't fine the link at the moment. In the middle of taking the HP apart. I'll find the link and post it. I do thank you for your time.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 3:05:53 AM

Any time and Good luck.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 3:12:26 AM

DM186 said:
To save me a lot of time. What is its power consumption in watts? Also thanks for getting that info. Your power supply puts out 144w on the 12v rail so in order for that PSU to work the card would have to draw between 90 to 100w

So I was looking at a 8800 GT it max under load 85w and it is a better card than yours. The 90 to 100w is under load not idle. So I was looking around a little more and found that your card uses max between 23w to 30w so that PSU will work for that card.


It may be taken up by the CPU since it is a AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4000+, which draws 185W under full load.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 3:22:57 AM

Even so if that were the case just the CPU alone wouldn't be able to run or anything as a matter of fact. So either I am confused about the Hp having a 160w PSU in it or it has a different PSU in it and he wants to put a different PSU in it.

Something is not quite right. Where did I miss it I miss it? He said he has a 160w in his HP puts a 8400gs doesn't work So if his PSU is only 160w you say the cpu uses 185w when his psu only puts 144w. Do you see where I am coming from?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 3:43:57 AM

They are notorious for undersizing PSU's, Dell did it for the longest time, and still does for that matter.

Edit: Tom's says it's 20W Idle/ 76 under load. I don't know where that other site got their numbers from.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 3:57:06 AM

Also, I read a blog the another person was going through the same thing. Did some sort of power consumption and came up with 175 watts power demand. That over drives the PSU decreasing the efficiency by 20%, making it even a bigger demand on the PSU.
m
0
l
April 25, 2012 4:10:33 AM

Well, I am going to try a higher watt PSU. It's going to take some time till I get it. When I do, I"ll post the out come. Again thanks for you time and input.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
April 26, 2012 1:47:53 AM

sk1939 said:
They are notorious for undersizing PSU's, Dell did it for the longest time, and still does for that matter.

Edit: Tom's says it's 20W Idle/ 76 under load. I don't know where that other site got their numbers from.


Well here it is one of a hundred sites to go to find out how many watts does a GPU use from a PSU. I chose this one just for you. This is fact and I trust this site more than any other site.

This site shows all cards from having 4 cards in CF and 4 cards in SLI. All the different configurations all the way down to the most oldest of cards. I was a little over than what I had said. On load it was 20w.

This chart gives all idle, 2D, 3D, to peak. Both AMD and nVidia. So have fun looking I know I did. A lot of stuff in there. But you will find it.

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=264
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 2:29:18 AM

I am probably dragging my feet, beating a dead horse here. There is a minimum system requirements for the Geforce 8400 GS. Minimum 300 watts or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12v current rating of 26amps). My 160 watt PSU does not have a 26 amp ratting. Correct me if I'm wrong. The PSU would need that amp ratting. 26 amps is a fair amount of amps.
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 3:03:22 AM

After doing some more reserch on this the max draw of the 8400 GS is 71w. So it should be 6 amps on the 12v rail is all you would need. You can always try it and if it doesn't work then put in a higher PSU.

It will not hurt a thing if your PSU is not enough power. But you showed me what was on the 12v rail to be 12amps so 6amps is half. I don't know if or how much the CPU draws.

According to sk1939. The CPU draws a lot of watts. So maybe you should put in the 250w or the 300w just to be safe. But the numbers don't lie about the out come. Here is a link that will show you some info on your card.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_8400_Gs_faq.html
m
0
l
May 4, 2012 9:18:11 PM

71 watts is almost 45% of the PSU 160 watts . That leaves 55% for the rest of the computer. I am about 80% sure I need to up grade the PSU. Just wish I knew for sure.

Tried to find the CPU wattage draw. Could not find any thing yet.

I have installed the 8400 GS and switched to the PCI-E in the BIOS. The computer dose not see the card. It is not in the device manager.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
May 4, 2012 11:37:38 PM

jcspirited 77 said:
71 watts is almost 45% of the PSU 160 watts . That leaves 55% for the rest of the computer. I am about 80% sure I need to up grade the PSU. Just wish I knew for sure.

Tried to find the CPU wattage draw. Could not find any thing yet.

I have installed the 8400 GS and switched to the PCI-E in the BIOS. The computer dose not see the card. It is not in the device manager.


CPU Draw.

85W TDP according to Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlon_64_X2

76.34W draw at maximum according to Toms.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-power-cpu,1925-...
m
0
l
May 5, 2012 11:41:58 AM

Thanks for that info. Ok, I'm 90, 95% sure it's the PSU. Going with it, will post when I have tried a higher wattage PSU.
Thanks Again
m
0
l
a c 181 U Graphics card
May 5, 2012 5:51:22 PM

Yeah if you do the math you would need 14amps on the 12v rail or 168w PSU. I am sorry I did not think about the CPU and sk1939 did so he should get the best answer for his help.

@sk1939 good save on this.
m
0
l
!