Both Crossfire 5850's AND 6850's NOT working right??? properly powered

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
April 25, 2012 12:28:05 AM

Update: Well I think I fixed it, I disabled desktop composition and visual themes on my games, than turned up my resolution to 1080, games run next to flawless now.

But words cant tell you how mad I am for spending $400 on cpu/mobo and than buying 6850's. I cant believe the desktop resolution needs to match that of the game.

Ok so, i have been having this same issue for 5 months on 2 mobos 2 cpus' with 2 different sets of cards. Exact same issue, how this issue carries over ill never know.

2 gpus's 1 does not clock up or does not go to full usage.

Im posting the entire tech conversation on another post. Same issues with my new cards. Before asked, i used driver sweeper, used 3 different CF bridges newest drivers.

Full screen, 1080.

850 Antec, both gpus will load 100% on mining bitcoins, so all 4 of them work. and simultaneously. Cant be the mobo since i used 2, cant be a bottleneck 4.8GHZ is plenty. So what in this messed up world is it?

Full system specs Before and current.

1055T -> 2500K
MSI 870 -> Asus Z68 pro gen 3
8 GB Gskill 1333 AND Patriot 16GB 1333 BOTH systems
64 GB Crucial M4 Both With 2 500 GB HDDs
Antec 850

Whole thing is massively cooled with 5 Delta fans. No reason this should be happening.

Can someone tell me how to install crossfire? Fresh drivers newest 12.3 Than profile caps, and gpu says crossfire is enabled.
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 12:29:25 AM

You're benching/gaming in fullscreen not windowed mode right?

What is the powersupply.

Edit - NVM I see the powersupply now. I had similar issues with my 260's, i had to turn off all the power saving features on the cards to get them to ramp up accordingly. You may have to do that same.
0
April 25, 2012 12:32:31 AM

Dear Joshua,

Response and Service Request History:

Bios flashes make sure that card reponses on a hardware level to the os, while the driver ensures that software written for the card will communicate with the hardware correctly. Escalate means I will elevate the the whole ticket to a level 2 agent who will review the ticket and add suggestions.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

Date: Tuesday, April 24, 2012, 8:25 AM

Response and Service Request History:
I know youve said you have mixed and matched cards but have you tried a second MSI card in place of the OEM card? I do rememeber you stating that you mixed and matched cards but weren't specific as to which cards you tested with? Is there a second pc you can try these cards with? I feel very strongly that the oem and the MSI card will not work together, for the fact that with most oem cards the driver is customized by the manufacture vs the regualar driver that we have for download for cards that are made from ASUS,MSI and so forth. If you like I can escalate this ticket at your request.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Sent:
04/23/12 15:31:59

Subject:
Only Crysis 1 has that, and I dont have that game any more. I have MSI Kombuster and it gives me a rock solid 9 FPS, So you know something isnt working.

The GPU's just are not working together and I dont know how to fix that.

From: TECH.SUPPORT@AMD.COM <TECH.SUPPORT@AMD.COM>
Date: Friday, April 20, 2012, 1:31 PM

Response and Service Request History:
I would like you revert back to using all of the default bios' for the cards and the motherboards. Put the HIS graphics card in slot on and the oem card in slot 2 and run the ingame bench mark tool of the game has one and record the readings. I have take a look at the HIS card 5850. The part number you provided me with did not bring up the card so I did a general search. Is this the card you have.
http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-474.shtml
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Sent:
04/20/12 10:30:52
Well I made a bios using RBE to keep the clocks a constant 725 on the oem card. Than the HIS wouldnt clock up during games so than I flashed the bios to the HIS card to make it stay at 725 MHZ which crashed the computer every time.

Here are the model serial numbers.

HIS: ???????????
OEM: ?//////////

Thank you.

Date: Friday, April 20, 2012, 8:17 AM

Response and Service Request History:
If I understand you correctly the oem card can be fixed at 725 mhz while the HIS card will not clock up to 725 mhz? This is highly unusual if the HIS is the primary card. Can I have the exact model number of the HIS card. You have seemingly exhausted all possibilities at this point so I just want to take a look at the manufacture specs. Does the HIS card come with any propriety software that may be disrupting the card from reaching its maximum potential?
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Sent:
04/19/12 15:04:09

Was already a few steps ahead, and tried tons of bios version, matched and mis matched. Even made my own with RBE. Nothing works. They simply wont work together. I tried all major sub vendors brands.

When I made my own bios, I set it so that it will never downclock constant 725 for all states, and assigned that bios to the oem. Stayed 725 at all times, played BF3 than the HIS wouldnt clocked up. WTF SERIOUSLY! So i flash the HIS to the same bios and it crashed upon boot every time.

The lanes cant be changed, if you take a card out, it would be x16 thats it though.

My head feels like its gonna explode. I dont know what else to do. I just want this to work, it will max out BF3 with ease.
Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 1:59 PM

Response and Service Request History:
Is there a way to set the primary pcie solt to x16? I would say to go ahead with the bios update and switch out the oem card for the same brand card that you are using (HIS), only do this if you are thinking of swtiching out the oem graphics cards I have a strong feeling that you are getting 50 fps is because of the state of the pice bus on the motherboard running a x8 in dual mode. 50fps is average at the moment , running at x16 you'll probably get about 60-65fps on average. Keep me updated.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Sent:
04/19/12 11:12:58

The lanes are pci-e 2, pci-e 3 is for ivy bridge. The current bandwidth is x8 by x8 on pci-e 2.0. All slots are expendable except #3 which will disable sata and usb slots. This is not the issue.

The issue is the gpus's are either not clocking up to their max or full pushing their usage. On crysis 2 im getting 50ish FPS while the gpus are only at 60-70% usage each. In BF3 the second gpu doesnt clock up.

All power savings are turned off. Even ULPS. I am thinking I may need to flash the bios, or even add a brand name to the oem card. But this voids the warranty, even though they dont work right.

So im at a lose, i dont know what other options I have.

Date: Thursday, April 19, 2012, 8:34 AM

Response and Service Request History:
To get the most performance out for you desktop turn off all power save modes on your pc. This can vastly effect gaming performance. Go back to the power settings and undo any changes you have made. I normally disable all power setting that have no relation to my system except for my monitor settings I usually turn them off after 10 mins of no actvity.
I reviwed your mother board specifications; Under expansion slots I was noticing that in the spec says 2 pcie 3.0/2.0(x16 or dual x8)*1. Foot note one on the lowest portion of that page reads as the following.
Actual PCIe 3.0 speed varies with the installed CPU type.
Then I went to the product page and looked up the cpu that you are using which is an i5 2500k and the pice revision is 2.0 and not 3.0 and its only limited to 1 expansion slot. From what I'm gathering by drawing all these conclusions that your cards are running the way there are suppose to under the limitations of the cpu and motherboard. I will provide you with the full cpu specs and the motherborad specs so you can verify what I have typed. The second is possibly running at x8 by default while the first card is running at 80-100 percent.
http://ark.intel.com/products/52210
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Sent:
04/18/12 16:39:41

This is the Motherboard.
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z6...

PC is custom built, I built it. Drivers are the same for both cards.

Started to tinker with ULPS the power saving function of windows. Disabling it manages to make it worse,locks the gpu clocks at 400mhz each. I am trying to figure out how to turn off all power savings to the cards as a temporary solution.

Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 1:47 PM

Response and Service Request History:
In both of the GPU-Z pictures its says that the ATI crossfire is enabled (2gpus) however I can see from the image shack picture the card on the right is substantially clocking in lower in certain aspects. Are you using the same driver verson for both cards? Keep in mind that oem cards are usually dependant on the manufacuter of the PC to provide stable drivers. Also can you give me the motherboard model number? Was this pc custom built or purchased from a oem partner like Dell or HP?
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Sent:
04/18/12 10:38:32

HIS 5850
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/04/18/g6x.png
OEM 5850
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/12/04/18/9bt.png

GPU usages: First picture is Skyrim, than Crysis 2, Than BF3
HIS gpu is on left and OEM on right
http://imageshack.us/g/850/skyrimscreenshot.png/

What I see from these is that the HIS gpu isnt clocking up, and the gpus are not working together. Both of these work 100% and get better frames without crossfire. Its got to be a driver or some petty setting.

Date: Wednesday, April 18, 2012, 9:26 AM

Response and Service Request History:
Is it possible for you to populate or gather specifications on both cards and provide links for me. I strongly believe that the OEM card is causing a bottle neck but I would like to be sure before I provide you with any trouble shooting stpes or explinations on why this may be occuring. Hope to hear from you soon.
In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.
Best regards,
AMD Global Customer Care

Sent:
04/17/12 21:30:46

Subject:
Crossfire not working properly
This is my system: 2500k (was a 1055T thought upgrade would fix this issue) 16 GB patriot ram 5850 HIS 5850 OEM/AMD non branded 850 Antec power supply Crossfire 8x8 lanes My issue is, that crossfire IS enabled, but on all games the 2nd gpu which currently is the OEM, does not exceed 35% usage. The combined usage almost never exceeds 100% (combine gpu usage). THE CARDS WORK 100%, I use them to mine bit coins. They dont over heat. I have tried everything: Switching cards. different driver versions with driver sweeper different crossfire bridges You name it. I wanted a 3rd card, but if i cant get 2 to work....There is no reason for these to not work. The 5850 cards are the best ever made. 2 5850's = the new GTX 680 in terms of performance at 1/3 the cost. Please help me lol.

0
April 25, 2012 12:40:51 AM

Helltech said:
You're benching/gaming in fullscreen not windowed mode right?

What is the powersupply.

Edit - NVM I see the powersupply now. I had similar issues with my 260's, i had to turn off all the power saving features on the cards to get them to ramp up accordingly. You may have to do that same.

I have tried doing that, it doesnt work. Is there anything in the bios for that? What all did you change?
0
a c 153 U Graphics card
April 25, 2012 12:45:08 AM

Well for Nvidia it was called adaptive performance, which just means when not in a 3D settings the cards would turn down, and then in a 3D scenario they would turn up. The problem was that wasn't working, they would never turn up. So I just disabled adaptive performance altogether so they were always ramped up, and voila problem solved.

Also have you ever tried another PSU? That PSU is rated to be able to handle it, but maybe its just a bad unit?
0
April 25, 2012 12:47:56 AM

Thats impossible for it to be the PSU, Since it will load all the cards 100% on bitcoin mining. Even massivley oced to 820 ( i never keep it there just to test it).
0