Sign in with
Your question

Intermittent problem: 5 beeps on post and no wake from monitor sleep

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 12:49:03 AM

My new system is having intermittent issues. :-( First and foremost, I notice that the display doesn't always wake from sleep. The monitor is set to go to sleep after 30 minutes of inactivity, but the rest of the system is always on (no windows or hard drive sleep/hibernation). It's intermittent and only happens sometimes, but fairly frequently. (like every 3rd or 4th time after it goes to sleep). Other times the display comes back with a message "display driver stopped responding and has recovered..."

When that happens, I can only reset the system in order to get the display back.

Now, in parallel (and I don't know if this is related), every now and then when I start the computer (from complete shutdown), there are 5 beeps on post, which according to online documentation for AMI boards, means "processor problem..."

The hardware is:
- ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard
- i5-3570K
- 2 x 4GB G. Skill Ram in dual channel
- HIS Radeon HD 7850 GPU

I tried reseating the RAM and GPU, but it still happens. The monitor is connected via mini-DisplayPort output on GPU going into regular DisplayPort on monitor. The DVI output on GPU is connected to my HDTV. The onboard GPU ports are not connected. Virtu MVP is not currently installed.

Any ideas? I don't even know even to start to troubleshoot this. When things work, they work really well (no noticeable issues whatsoever).

Could the 5-beep be related to the Radeon GPU?

Any help is appreciated.
June 20, 2012 3:08:40 AM

Forgot to add that the CPU is running at stock speeds, using Cooler Master 212+ cooler... reporting idle temps of around 40 C and 60-ish under load. I also flashed the BIOS to latest version, but no improvements.

Part of the problem is that it's intermittent and that I can't reproduce the problem always (say, the 5-beep issue at boot).
June 21, 2012 5:51:51 PM

It occurred to me that maybe the issue is with the mini-DisplayPort output on the GPU, so I disconnected it and am now using the DVI output (my monitor has both DVI and DisplayPort inputs). So far, the DVI seems a bit more responsive when it comes back from sleep. It has come back each time and it hasn't displayed the "display driver stopped responding..." message... Yet. but it's only been a day. Also haven't seen the 5-beep startup issue. But again, only been restarted a couple of times.

I guess if it DOES turn out that it works fine with DVI but not with mini-DP output, then I'm not sure if I should try and return the GPU or just stick to it this way.

It sucks because I specifically went after a GPU that had mini-DP outputs, so that I could utilize my DP monitor input. Otherwise, I could have gone with a different (cheaper) GPU perhaps. :-(
Related resources
June 24, 2012 7:39:50 PM

UPDATE: I've been using the DVI output (with nothing plugged into the other outputs) for a few days without any issues whatsoever. Then last night, I connected HDMI output to my HDTV to watch a movie (and left it plugged in when I shutdown the PC). This morning, the PC beeped 5 times on boot, again. I restarted 3-4 times, reproducing the 5-beep code EACH time.

Here's the important part: I disconnected the HDMI output, and the 5-beep code stopped happening. Restarted 1 more time without HDMI plugged in, no issue. Connected the HDMI in, and the 5-beep issue comes back.

Sooo... Here's what I know so far:

- GPU with dual output (monitor on mini-DP and HDTV on DVI) = 5-beep boot code
- GPU with dual output (monitor on DVI and TV on HDMI) = 5-beep code
- GPU with single output (monitor on DVI or mini-DP) = no issues

Any guesses?
July 3, 2012 6:11:48 PM

Here are some more findings and updates (in case anybody else is reading this or encountering similar issues). At this point, it's more or less just a personal journal. :D 

- The issue with display not waking after sleep seems to have been resolved with latest Catalyst driver package (12.6). For now, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue after several days of usage and multiple monitor sleep-wake cycles. Let's hope it stays that way.

- The issue with 5-beep code on startup happens when I plug in my HDTV into the GPU, regardless of whether I plug it in simultaneously with the main monitor or not. Basically, GPU + HDTV = 5-beep code.

- Furthermore... I found that my old GPU (nVidia 8800GT) also produces the 5-beep issue, as well as my friend's AMD FirePro v4900. The only card that DID NOT produce the issue was an old "extra" cheap PCI-express card I have from 5 years ago. It's a slow, passive-cooling, no-extra-power-needed, type GPU.

So, what I know so far:
- HIS Radeon 7850 GPU is not faulty
- 5-beep only happens with HDTV connected, and not with regular monitor
- HDTV uses an HDMI connection (either HDMI-to-HDMI cable from GPU, or DVI-to-HDMI cable from GPU... both produce the problem).
- The super-low-power old GPU is the only one without problems... But I'm not convinced it's the PSU, because the FirePro doesn't require a lot either.

So... could be the motherboard... or CPU... But only when HDTV/HDMI is used. Very weird problem. Will not lose too much sleep over it, as everything seems to work once you're in Windows, and now that the monitor wakes from sleep, I can go on with my life. But if anyone experiences this and finds a solution/culprit (or just has ideas to share), I would be very much interested to hear it. :hello: 
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
December 22, 2012 8:23:32 AM

the_jiveman said:
Here are some more findings and updates (in case anybody else is reading this or encountering similar issues). At this point, it's more or less just a personal journal. :D 

- The issue with display not waking after sleep seems to have been resolved with latest Catalyst driver package (12.6). For now, I haven't been able to reproduce the issue after several days of usage and multiple monitor sleep-wake cycles. Let's hope it stays that way.

- The issue with 5-beep code on startup happens when I plug in my HDTV into the GPU, regardless of whether I plug it in simultaneously with the main monitor or not. Basically, GPU + HDTV = 5-beep code.

- Furthermore... I found that my old GPU (nVidia 8800GT) also produces the 5-beep issue, as well as my friend's AMD FirePro v4900. The only card that DID NOT produce the issue was an old "extra" cheap PCI-express card I have from 5 years ago. It's a slow, passive-cooling, no-extra-power-needed, type GPU.

So, what I know so far:
- HIS Radeon 7850 GPU is not faulty
- 5-beep only happens with HDTV connected, and not with regular monitor
- HDTV uses an HDMI connection (either HDMI-to-HDMI cable from GPU, or DVI-to-HDMI cable from GPU... both produce the problem).
- The super-low-power old GPU is the only one without problems... But I'm not convinced it's the PSU, because the FirePro doesn't require a lot either.

So... could be the motherboard... or CPU... But only when HDTV/HDMI is used. Very weird problem. Will not lose too much sleep over it, as everything seems to work once you're in Windows, and now that the monitor wakes from sleep, I can go on with my life. But if anyone experiences this and finds a solution/culprit (or just has ideas to share), I would be very much interested to hear it. :hello: 

I've got the same problem. A bought a parts for a new rig:

Asrock extreme 4 Z77
Intel 3750K
ASUS Radeon HD 7950 DCII
PSU from seasonic 650Watt

When i start with HDMI plugged in i get 5 beeps but the pc starts normally and functions well.
I have nog clue what could be wrong.

Some people have an idea?
Friendly regards from Belgium
February 1, 2013 7:21:14 PM

I actually have the same issue that started a couple days ago. My CPU fan and heatsink came unseated and the computer shut down due to heat. Now if I leave the HDMI connected when it restarts I occasionally get the 5 beeps on post. I have no idea what it could be.

!