Crazy colors, low res and Black screen if enable GPU

ummonshadow

Honorable
Apr 24, 2012
Good day,

This is a a new system that has been running fine for a couple of months.
I recently moved house and when I put my PC back together and started it up I have crazy pink lines running down my screen at start up and then I get a black screen.
I can start in safe mode, but the screen has flashing colors all over it and I'm stuck in 640x480 res on a 'Generic PnP monitor on standard VGA graphics adapter'.
The only way for me to start up windows normally is by disabling my 6870 from the device menu. Then i can run windows normal, but still stuck in the low res and still with the crazy colors.

I did a total clean install of windows 7 (64bit Ultimate), installed all the latest drivers for my chipsets and GPU. Reset my Motherboard updated the BIOs to the latest version, but still getting the black screen and crazy colors when i enable my graphics card.

I have removed all the componets and put them back together and all my power cables are fitted securely.

Any ideas on the culprit?

Specs
GPU: 6870 HD 1GB
CPU: intel i7 960 3.6ghz
Mobo: Gigabyte x79-Ub3

Matthew

check to see that you dont have any bent video pins. I would power your pc down and pull the video card out. take a look in the pci slot of the mb for any foam or dirt. also check the video card pins to see if there fine or if any of them go damaged. take a cloth and wipe the gold pins..sometime finger oil or corrosion will make a card act weird. also look at the video card to see if in the move it go damaged..ie anything got ripped off the pcb. if everything looks fine there look at the mb for any damage.
if they look fine see if someone has another video card you can use before you rma or replace it.