Gaming Monitor, 120hz gaming reccomendation?

caseynelson

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hey guys,

This forum was great in providing support for my computer and now I have everything set up and I need a new monitor. I'm running the new gtx 680 and want to play on 1980 x 1080. I only play games on my comp, I don't watch TV and I want something that looks and plays super nice.

I also like glossy screens as I think they look just amazing. But I am open to both Matte and Glossy recommendations. I want to spend less than $400. Thanks for your input!

caseynelson

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Thanks for the responses gents.

Now knowing me I won't be playing in 3d. So having that option is not needed. With that known, does that change which monitor is a good option?

Also is 120hz worth it?

Also I heard mixed reviews on those catleap monitors. Quality an issue??? Glossy or Matte???

Yes, but matte finishes reduce picture quality, especially the crappy factory applied finishes.

If you want a matte finish, you're still better off buying a glossy monitor and getting a far-better-quality kit to apply your own matte finish.

the "jpinard's facts and explanation about this monitor" dropdown in the overclock-edition catleap monitor thread has a ton of useful information on gaming monitors and monitors in general. It's a good read to help you decide which monitor to buy, even if it's not that one.

sk1939

Distinguished

Depends on the monitor; on the cheaper ones I can see that, on professional displays like the Ultrasharp it's a non-issue. Going through that link, it's also only 100Hz if you modify/swap the PCB and overclock it, which is beyond my, and probably the OP's, skill set.

The op won't have to do anything..... you're looking at the wrong catleap. I'm not talking about the currently produced one. I'm talking about the OC edition that is in the process of being made. read through that first post in the "Yamakasi Catleap Q270 (100hz guaranteed)" thread instead of clicking on the catleap monitor club link.

I don't have any personal experience with the higher end dell monitors, but dell was mentioned by name in jpinard's comments on image-ruining anti-glare coatings. Besides, OP prefers glossy.

sk1939

Distinguished

From the article:

"NOT having the OSD is very inconvenient for most users" Well duh. Single input can also be a deal killer. There's no scalar, so you are limited to 2560x1440 or "No Signal/Out of Range", meaning that you can't boot into Safe Mode, or install Windows, since both of those are done at 800*600. Yeah, it sounds like not such a good deal after all.

He has a bias against the anti-glare coatings (matte) since he likes glossy displays. The third party matte coatings are messy and of generally low quality (I had to apply one to my laptop) since they're an adhesive film generally.

nbk_redspy

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2008

I'm running a Samsung s23a750D and to answer your question; yes 120 hz is worth it. Personally my BF3 shooting went up quite a bit going from my 60 hz to my 120. I noticed that with my 60hz I had to actually slow my mouse movement down to wait for the screen to update which was throwing off my rhythm. To verify I wasn't crazy, I went back to my 60 hz on the same rig. Sure enough, I either slowed down my mouse movement or I would overshoot and have to correct.

On the finish, get matte if you can. Gloss just sucks. I can't use my glossy Samsung at work because it looks like a mirror, but at home I can control the lighting where it is not an issue. Just a thought.

On the 3d side, I was in the same boat. IMHO, 3D looks just freaking awesome (check out Dawn of War II in 3d and tell me it doesn't look like you are looking at a table top game that came alive :) ). The down side is that I don't find the current 3d games playable. The problem is that your pointer (gun sites on FPS's and mouse on RTS's) is on a different plane than where you generally focus to see the environment. Basically you do eye gymnastics where it feels like you are focusing between two planes that are (virtually) about 14" away, constantly. The alternative is that you can close an eye to get the pointer to stop doubling up but again, PITA.

With 3D vision, you can use Nvidia's laser site, which will make the laser site at the depth of what ever is in front of the sites. It works great (ctrl-F12 turns it on and off). If you are using Tridef, there is an option in it's menu for a laser site as well. It won't help with RTS's, although Starcraft II has the mouse pointer built in to be at the depth of units near it, most will not be. Though with the use of convergence, you can bring the distance of the battlefield to be near the surface of the monitor.

You should look into the 3D laser site. It'll help your issue with FPS a lot.

I'd wager most gamers can figure out how to adjust picture settings via video card software.

People have been hooking up PS3's and Xbox's to the monitor, so unless those consoles can output 2560...
http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club/1090

You should buy a better matte finish. this is what i used on my laptop & it's fantastic. ($25)
http://www.nushield.com/?source=worldgen&gclid=CKL2yr6fz68CFcEmtAodnX0GHQ

If you don't think the monitor is a good deal, you should go argue with it's legions of fans on overclock.net and elsewhere.

sk1939

Distinguished

True.

That one is easy, the only guy who got it to work ordered a special version of the monitor.
"@ nicrulz: so you got the version with HDMI and OSD? Which version is that?"
"Yeah I got the HDMI one so I can plug in my PS3 or Xbox as well as my PC, havent tried the HDMI out yet. Will probably try it tomorrow after I install my graphics card.

The model I got is called Yamakasi Catleap Q270 Multi. Don't think that it is on Amazon but here is the link to the one on eBay (Aus) that I purchased: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/110849107356?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_37594wt_1102 "

If you really want it, it's avaliable on Ebay here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-MULTI-27-LED-2560X1440-S-IPS-Stereo-Gaming-Monitor-/140717987281?pt=Computer_Monitors&hash=item20c37215d1#ht_37594wt_1102

I should, but it would be as effective as arguing with a watermelon.

That's not a special order, it's a commonly produced version (there are at least 4 made).

They've delved into the monitor deeply on those forums and know it inside and out. The major posters have several other monitors for comparison. The posts are objective and intellectual. Your flippant dismissal of a group like that is completely unwarranted.

sk1939

Distinguished

Not dismissing them, it looks a great monitor, it's just that the target market is very focused, and the businessman in me explains that is why they stopped producing them in the first place (small target market, low demand). It also has quite a few downsides that I was pointing out. Would I buy one? I would if I had the funding, but I don't. I also won't buy a monitor I can't see in person because I'm picky about color presentation and gamut.

The catleap monitors are still being produced; they never stopped. The OC-edition hasn't been made if that's the one you mean.

I can understand wanting to be there in person when dropping $400 on something, though.

Even sight unseen, however, I don't think you'll find better picture quality for $400 anywhere.