Unable to install OS

brads2012

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Hello everyone,
I have recently purchased and built an Ivybridge system from scratch. Everything booted up nicely and I could go through the BIOS and all hardware was displaying correctly and was detecting everything. After I exited the BIOS I went to boot from my DVD to try and install Windows 7 Pro x64, however it gave me the message "Reboot and select proper boot device.." I am confused as DVD was my 1st priority in the boot options, and I even tried manually selecting it in the boot from screen. Does anyone know why this is happening? I tried using a portable HDD, which has let me install Windows from it in the past as well, however even when selecting USB as the boot (the device name showed up as well so it was detected) it gave me the exact same message.

My hardware is:
Intel i7 3770k
Asrock z77 Extreme9
Corsair 16GB 1600mhz Vengeance RAM
Asus GTX 670
Guardian 921RB
OCZ 850w PSU
240GB OCZ SSD
3TB WD Caviar Green HDD
Lite-on Blu-ray Reader
500GB Samsung Portable Harddrive (USB Powered)

Any help would be great as I really want to start using my new computer.

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You can create partitions as you install Ubuntu that you can install windows on and dual boot

Or you can just format the drive with the windows disk and that will over write a previous installation

Also...... There were beta downloads of Windows 8 available . You will probably have to reinstall from scratch when 8 is available in a few months
Google something like " windows 8 preview download"

brads2012

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
So I figured out the problem was that I wasn't using an original Windows Install Disk, so it wasn't made for booting from a scratch PC.

I have a new problem now though.. Used the Windows XP Disk as that's the only one I can find.. but after it's loaded the drivers at the start, it blue screens.

Any ideas?

You can create partitions as you install Ubuntu that you can install windows on and dual boot

Or you can just format the drive with the windows disk and that will over write a previous installation

Also...... There were beta downloads of Windows 8 available . You will probably have to reinstall from scratch when 8 is available in a few months
Google something like " windows 8 preview download"

Solution