New router cant find w7 home group

gaius5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
I had 2 computers running W7 using a linksys G router. The desktop cpu was hardwired to the router, and the laptop connected wirelessly. Setting up the home group in W7 was simple.

I moved my desktop away from my cable modem and now need to connect wirelessly to my desktop as well. I decided to upgrade my network from a Linksys G router to a Belkin F9K1002v1 type N router. The network works great with rapid access to the internet from both computers.

Now here is my problem. Before I changed anything, both computers were sharing nicely on the home group. I did not disconnect either computer from the home group (leave the home group) before I changed the router. With the Belkin N router in place neither computer can find the home group. Both computers offer to create a new home group, but neither computer can recognize the new home group created by the other. DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO CREATE A HOME GROUP CONNECTED BY THE BELKIN N ROUTER?

sturm

Splendid
Belkin probably runs a different IP range than the Linksys. 192.168.0.x compared to 192.168.1.x.
If they do run different networks, you should, sometimes, be able to change what network the router uses. If so try changing it back to the one you had on the linksys.
Also make sure that Win 7 has the network set as Home and not public.

gaius5

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011

Yes, Belkin does run a different IP range than Linksys. Both the Linksys type G router and the Belkin type N router recommend dynamic IP assignment. According to the only printed record I have, Linksys assigned 192.168.1.100 to my desktop while Belkin assigned 192.168.2.2 to my desktop and 192.168.2.4 to my laptop. If I turn off both computers, then boot up the laptop before the desktop the ip addresses will likely be reversed. I would have to assign fixed ip addresses to use the addresses assigned by Linksys. I will try this suggestion tomorrow.

As for Home vs public network settings, the desktop w7 has created a new homegroup. The laptop w7 does not recognize the homegroup and offers to create another new one. (See problem description above.)