Changing the startup screen (ntoskrnl) and the log on scre..

Before SP2, I was able to change the screens backgrounds for startup, and the
log on screen. After installing SP2, I tried to change the
c:/windows/system32/ntoskrnl file, for the startup screen, as well as the
c:/windows/system32/logonui file, for the log on screen, which was done in
safe mode. When I tried to reboot, I couldn't, a message stating "file
missing, could not locate ntoskrnl file". Tried to get into safe mode to
change files back to the originals, and got the same message, had to reimage
my hard drive to get my system back. It may not be an important aspect to
using my computer, even so, it was nice to see my Scorpion startup screen,
and a nude lady covered with rose art (so that nothing sexual showed) as my
log in screen. And I kind of feel that by install SP2 that my rights as
computer administrator has been taken away from me, in order to secure
internet security. If anyone knows how I can fix this problem, I would sure
appreciate the help. Also a site that has the new files that work with SP2,
would also be appreciated.
--
Thanks, Puma
4 answers Last reply

    Hi Puma,

    http://www.stardock.com/products/bootskin/

    http://www.stardock.com/products/logonstudio/download.html

    They're easy, you can make or adapt your own, they work with SP2 and it's
    FREE!

    Andy

    "Puma Potvin" wrote:

    > Before SP2, I was able to change the screens backgrounds for startup, and the
    > log on screen. After installing SP2, I tried to change the
    > c:/windows/system32/ntoskrnl file, for the startup screen, as well as the
    > c:/windows/system32/logonui file, for the log on screen, which was done in
    > safe mode. When I tried to reboot, I couldn't, a message stating "file
    > missing, could not locate ntoskrnl file". Tried to get into safe mode to
    > change files back to the originals, and got the same message, had to reimage
    > my hard drive to get my system back. It may not be an important aspect to
    > using my computer, even so, it was nice to see my Scorpion startup screen,
    > and a nude lady covered with rose art (so that nothing sexual showed) as my
    > log in screen. And I kind of feel that by install SP2 that my rights as
    > computer administrator has been taken away from me, in order to secure
    > internet security. If anyone knows how I can fix this problem, I would sure
    > appreciate the help. Also a site that has the new files that work with SP2,
    > would also be appreciated.
    > --
    > Thanks, Puma

    Thank you Andy,
    That Site was very helpful . I was able to change my start-up screen
    with just a little difficulty, ended up putting a better one on then my
    previous one. Changing my log on screen was a snap, took me seconds, no
    problem at all. Thanks Again.

    As satified as I am with the assistance Andy gave me, I would like to
    see what else is out there. If anyone knows of other sites, please let me
    know. And for those of you who had no idea you could customize your start-up
    and log on screens, check out the sites Andy recommended. You won't be
    disappointed.

    Hi Puma,

    You're welcome, and thanks for the thanks much appreciated...

    Here's some sites for you to visit...

    http://www.themexp.org/

    http://www.wincustomize.com/index.aspx

    http://www.xptheme.info/

    Have fun

    > "Puma Potvin" wrote:
    >
    >> Before SP2, I was able to change the screens backgrounds for startup, and
    >> the
    >> log on screen. After installing SP2, I tried to change the
    >> c:/windows/system32/ntoskrnl file, for the startup screen, as well as the
    >> c:/windows/system32/logonui file, for the log on screen, which was done
    >> in
    >> safe mode. When I tried to reboot, I couldn't, a message stating "file
    >> missing, could not locate ntoskrnl file". Tried to get into safe mode to
    >> change files back to the originals, and got the same message, had to
    >> reimage
    >> my hard drive to get my system back. It may not be an important aspect to
    >> using my computer, even so, it was nice to see my Scorpion startup
    >> screen,
    >> and a nude lady covered with rose art (so that nothing sexual showed) as
    >> my
    >> log in screen. And I kind of feel that by install SP2 that my rights as
    >> computer administrator has been taken away from me, in order to secure
    >> internet security. If anyone knows how I can fix this problem, I would
    >> sure
    >> appreciate the help. Also a site that has the new files that work with
    >> SP2,
    >> would also be appreciated.
    >> --
    >> Thanks, Puma
    >
    > Thank you Andy,
    > That Site was very helpful . I was able to change my start-up screen
    > with just a little difficulty, ended up putting a better one on then my
    > previous one. Changing my log on screen was a snap, took me seconds, no
    > problem at all. Thanks Again.
    >
    > As satified as I am with the assistance Andy gave me, I would like to
    > see what else is out there. If anyone knows of other sites, please let me
    > know. And for those of you who had no idea you could customize your
    > start-up
    > and log on screens, check out the sites Andy recommended. You won't be
    > disappointed.

    I am having trouble opening a bootskin.....actually I really don't know how
    to and i really like this particular one. I downloaded it and it says open
    with bootskin_auto_flie(default) and i clicked ok and it did nothing.So how
    am i suppose to open it and or apply it?

Configuration Startup Screen Windows XP