Sign in with
Your question

Review my gaming rig.

Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 2:06:31 AM

I am getting a gaming rig for battlefield 3. Please let me know if there is anything, anything at all, (besides monitor speakers, mouse. ) that I should purchase. If not, then I might begin ordering tonight!! ( SO EXCITED!!!!EFNBWEFHEBFQEHJFBHJQBFQHCCB :pt1cable:  ) Here are my specs:

Graphics card: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 1 GB GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 DVI/DVI/MiniHDMI SLI Ready Graphics Card

Ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9B

Motherboard: BIOSTAR A880GZ AM3+ AMD 880G HDMI SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD

Tower: Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, comes with Three Fans-1x Front Blue LED 120mm Fan, 1x Top 140mm Fan, 1x Rear 120mm Fan, option Fans-2x Side 120mm Fan

Power supply: CORSAIR Builder Series CX600 V2 600W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Hard drive: Western Digital Blue 320 Gb

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

Disc reader/burner: LITE-ON Internal 24x DVD Burner with Label-tag Feature 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model ihas524-T06 - OEM

If you know of any incompatibilities, please let me know!! (I know my hard drive is a bit skimpy, but it should last me at least a year, probably more. Then I will just put another one on there.) I do have one question about the os. If I am only going to be gaming, web surfing and watching videos will the cheapest version of windows 7 give me any grief? (I do plan to upgrade in the future.) Share success stories of first builds for luck!! :D 

More about : review gaming rig

June 20, 2012 11:26:06 PM

why not intel?
Related resources
June 20, 2012 11:49:31 PM

chaoticly said:
why not intel?

It is too expensive to get a quad core intel. Can`t afford an i5. Also because I hate kittens. :p 
a c 118 B Homebuilt system
a b 4 Gaming
June 20, 2012 11:51:29 PM

wondermonkeys09 said:
It is too expensive to get a quad core intel. Can`t afford an i5. Also because I hate kittens. :p 

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o 

Missy, we're out of here.
a b 4 Gaming
June 20, 2012 11:54:44 PM

But seriously, if you can't afford a quad i5, get the P-II for BF 3 multiplayer, the i3 will have trouble at higher detail settings in multiplayer maps. Some people may scream bloody murder, but its been proven, multiplayer BF 3 likes multithreading.

Fairly low capacity hard drive, 500GBs from what I've seen aren't that much more expensive (less than 10 dollars). Other than that, yes it'll work.
June 20, 2012 11:55:35 PM

wondermonkeys09 said:

How dare you hate innocent little kitties! Anyways try the i3, its only a little more expensive than the phenom ii.
a b 4 Gaming
June 20, 2012 11:56:49 PM

chaoticly said:
How dare you hate innocent little kitties! Anyways try the i3, its only a little more expensive than the phenom ii.

Wot I just sai abute multifreading and BF3 Multiplayer? :pfff: 
June 20, 2012 11:58:54 PM

2639376,6,1119315 said:
But seriously, if you can't afford a quad i5, get the P-II for BF 3 multiplayer, the i3 will have trouble at higher detail settings in multiplayer maps. Some people may scream bloody murder, but its been proven, multiplayer BF 3 likes multithreading.

He could stick to the i3 and use a more expensive gpu.
June 21, 2012 12:14:22 AM

chaoticly said:
2639376,6,1119315 said:

He could stick to the i3 and use a more expensive gpu.
said:

I forgot to mention I bumped up my PSU to 750 watts, and I now have a Radeon 6950. Does this change anything? I plan to oc as much as I can. Epic deal on the radeon; free bf3 coupon, on top of 50 bucks off, and the better PSU came in a package deal with same tower. (And it all turned out cheaper than my original plan.) Success!! I found an older monitor in my basement, and decided to reinvest! The hard drive is skimpy because I found them for only 20 bucks.
June 21, 2012 12:15:12 AM

nekulturny said:
You can use as powerful as a GPU as you want, BF3 multiplayer still prefers more cores. This is one game that needs quad core muscle, in fact, its one game where the 8 core AMD Bulldozers actually outperform even Sandy Bridge i7s.

All 8 cores being used:

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038216217&postcoun...

Beta benches:
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/10/11/amd_bulldozer...

Never played it, so i didn't know that. He's an expert listen to him.
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2012 12:17:25 AM

Like I said, I'll elaborate a bit. For BF3 multiplayer, the stronger video card will net you better gameplay performance, however it cannot compensate for having a dual core CPU (Intel i3 vs having a Phenom II quad)

As far as the power supply, the Corsair CX600 is sufficient for a 6950 video card and an overclocked Phenom II, there is no need for a 750 watt, although it does give you better options if you decide to add a 2nd video card later. The problem is, your mobo is not the ideal choice to run a crossfire setup, in fact I don't think it will support more than one video card at all. I'd also ask what brand and model of power supply you're looking at, the wattage alone is not enough to determine the PSU's quality.
June 21, 2012 12:18:00 AM

wondermonkeys09 said:
I forgot to mention I bumped up my PSU to 750 watts, and I now have a Radeon 6950. Does this change anything? I plan to oc as much as I can. Epic deal on the radeon; free bf3 coupon, on top of 50 bucks off, and the better PSU came in a package deal with same tower. (And it all turned out cheaper than my original plan.) Success!! I found an older monitor in my basement, and decided to reinvest! The hard drive is skimpy because I found them for only 20 bucks.

Invest more on cpu and mobo.
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2012 12:18:12 AM

chaoticly said:
Never played it, so i didn't know that. He's an expert listen to him.

HA! Depends on who you ask. I wish, I am a jack of all trades, but a master of none. But I appreciate the vote of confidence at least. :pt1cable: 
June 21, 2012 12:33:03 AM

nekulturny said:
Like I said, I'll elaborate a bit. For BF3 multiplayer, the stronger video card will net you better gameplay performance, however it cannot compensate for having a dual core CPU (Intel i3 vs having a Phenom II quad)

As far as the power supply, the Corsair CX600 is sufficient for a 6950 video card and an overclocked Phenom II, there is no need for a 750 watt, although it does give you better options if you decide to add a 2nd video card later. The problem is, your mobo is not the ideal choice to run a crossfire setup, in fact I don't think it will support more than one video card at all. I'd also ask what brand and model of power supply you're looking at, the wattage alone is not enough to determine the PSU's quality.

A Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-750, 80+ Bronze certified. I know the 600w would do the job, but the package gave me the same tower and better wattage AND the PSU is 80+ certified for a less amount. Does a crossfire require two of the same cards? Someone recomended this to me: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... but that is more expensive than I wanted to go. Any other recommendations for motherboards?
a b 4 Gaming
June 21, 2012 12:36:15 AM

A Rosewill HIVE is fine yes.

Crossfire does require 2 of the same cards but they need not be the same brand, (for example one could be a Sapphire 6950 and the other could be an XFX)

Yes that is a decent motherboard, and its the bare minimum I would suggest actually. As far as other suggestions, they only go up in price from me. Let me see if I can find you a decent "open box deal".

Addendum:

I double checked, apparently video cards can crossfire even if they're not the same model.

http://sites.amd.com/PublishingImages/Public/Graphic_Il...
!