Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

New build, new builder. Help appreciated.

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
June 20, 2012 2:10:01 AM

Hello, I decided to finish off a computer I've had a couple of parts lying around for, and hope to learn something in the process.
The main focus would be gaming and light audio/video editing.

Parts I own at the moment:
Case: NXZT Beta EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz
HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda for storage
PSU: Corsair VX550W

Parts I'm thinking of buying:
GPU: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 core OC Asus Radeon HD7850
MB: Asus M5A99X EVO 990X AM3+ ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 Low Profile
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128 GB

1. I plan to go SLI (or crossfire if a Radeon card is suggested) later when the need comes.
2. Is the motherboard good for SLI/crossfire setup? Will this motherboard last long? Is it overkill for the purpose?
3. I have not decided on RAM yet. I should make sure the motherboard works with the multi-GPU plan first, correct? Is 8 GB enough?
4. Overclockable parts are welcome as well, I might OC a little bit. I think that the CPU can go to at least 3.7 GHz without problems.

Alternative part suggestions are very welcome.

EDIT1: I don't have a real budget, but lower cost is preferred, of course. If the performance increases greatly, I can spare a little extra.
EDIT2: Updating parts as I see fit.

More about : build builder appreciated

June 20, 2012 2:17:18 AM

get either a 7850 or straight off the bat a gtx670. the 7850 performs better than the 448core while drawing half the power. the 550w will not stand a chance if you plan to sli a 448core

the mobo is ok

for the ssd id suggest getting something cheaper like a sandisk extreme or a muskin chronos deluxe mx

you probably need to overclock a little to prevent bottlenecking for crossfire
June 20, 2012 2:44:42 AM

Thanks for the fast reply.

The Radeon HD 7850 is a bunch cheaper than the GTX 670, so I'm leaning towards it. Is there a noticeable difference between an Asus card and a Sapphire card?
Related resources
June 20, 2012 10:49:39 AM

no. i would go asus since their directcu2 cooler is very good and that the asus one is usually cheaper
June 20, 2012 5:51:29 PM

Aigwel said:
Updated the first post.

How about RAM? Do you think Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (2x4096 MB) kit would work?

Make sure it's the low profile version like this: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/veng...

The tall heat sinks will interfere with any aftermarket coolers you want to use. Also make sure that your motherboard can handle the speed - check your vendor's QVL (qualified vendor list) to make sure that it matches the speed and voltage.
June 20, 2012 7:02:10 PM

Thank you TheBigTroll and g-unit1111 for the help.

I think I have the list for parts to buy ready.