New build, new builder. Help appreciated.

Hello, I decided to finish off a computer I've had a couple of parts lying around for, and hope to learn something in the process.
The main focus would be gaming and light audio/video editing.

Parts I own at the moment:
Case: NXZT Beta EVO
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition 3.4 GHz
HDD: 1 TB Seagate Barracuda for storage
PSU: Corsair VX550W

Parts I'm thinking of buying:
GPU: Zotac NVIDIA GeForce GTX560 Ti 448 core OC Asus Radeon HD7850
MB: Asus M5A99X EVO 990X AM3+ ATX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 Low Profile
SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128 GB

1. I plan to go SLI (or crossfire if a Radeon card is suggested) later when the need comes.
2. Is the motherboard good for SLI/crossfire setup? Will this motherboard last long? Is it overkill for the purpose?
3. I have not decided on RAM yet. I should make sure the motherboard works with the multi-GPU plan first, correct? Is 8 GB enough?
4. Overclockable parts are welcome as well, I might OC a little bit. I think that the CPU can go to at least 3.7 GHz without problems.

Alternative part suggestions are very welcome.

EDIT1: I don't have a real budget, but lower cost is preferred, of course. If the performance increases greatly, I can spare a little extra.
EDIT2: Updating parts as I see fit.
6 answers Last reply
More about build builder appreciated
  1. get either a 7850 or straight off the bat a gtx670. the 7850 performs better than the 448core while drawing half the power. the 550w will not stand a chance if you plan to sli a 448core

the mobo is ok

for the ssd id suggest getting something cheaper like a sandisk extreme or a muskin chronos deluxe mx

you probably need to overclock a little to prevent bottlenecking for crossfire
  2. Thanks for the fast reply.

The Radeon HD 7850 is a bunch cheaper than the GTX 670, so I'm leaning towards it. Is there a noticeable difference between an Asus card and a Sapphire card?
  3. no. i would go asus since their directcu2 cooler is very good and that the asus one is usually cheaper
  4. Updated the first post.

How about RAM? Do you think Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (2x4096 MB) kit would work?
  5. Aigwel said:
    Updated the first post.

How about RAM? Do you think Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (2x4096 MB) kit would work?

Make sure it's the low profile version like this: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-low-profile-blue-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9b.html

The tall heat sinks will interfere with any aftermarket coolers you want to use. Also make sure that your motherboard can handle the speed - check your vendor's QVL (qualified vendor list) to make sure that it matches the speed and voltage.
  6. Thank you TheBigTroll and g-unit1111 for the help.

I think I have the list for parts to buy ready.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems