Your question

Cpu fan not work, replacement not work

Last response: in Components
October 23, 2012 3:38:53 PM

ASUS M4N78 Pro
amd Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz AM3
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Thermaltake Purepower W0129RU 600 W

went to boot cp up, it said cpu fan not working, sure enough its not working. the cpu is a year and 2 months old.

so i buy the cooler master hyper 212 install it, it boots up no problem. so i shut down because i have to work.
last night, second time booting up with the hyper 212 installed, it says cpu fan not working.

so im guessing my motherboard cpu fan connector is bad, but is there an adapter to run the cpu fan without using the cpu fan connector on the motherboard?

is there a way to test the hyper 212 fan to make sure it is in working order and not in need of a return?
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2012 4:06:40 PM

You could try both of the fans on a known working system.

I expect they are both working.

It could be that the fan speeds are not fast enough, the BIOS assumes you need XXX RPMs in order to keep the processor from overheating, but sometimes coolers like the Hyper 212 can do the job for less than XXX and do so. The motherboard can detect and reject this as a problem. You may want to check your BIOS settings if the fans appear to be working and the computer still gives an error message.

If the fans don't appear to be working at all, the best bet is to try them in a different PC, if you can.

If you can't do that, there is still more on the table for possible faulty devices than just the motherboard.

The PSU is from an extremely poor model line and probably can't give out more than half the power it says it can on the label. Getting a trustworthy PSU and testing with that would be another possibility.

If you have any gamer friends, maybe you could ask if you could borrow their PSU. If you have an IT staff where you work, they might also allow you to borrow one overnight if you are willing to sign for it.

You won't likely be able to get around using the motherboard port, because the motherboard is constantly detecting fan speed from there and if it detects 0 from there, it will complain like it is now. I would always recommend the CPU fan to be plugged into the correct motherboard slot for that reason.

m
l
October 23, 2012 4:21:09 PM

i can run it without the cpu fan running, so not using the cpu fan port on the motherboard wont be a problem as long as i can get the cpu fan on the hyper 212 to work.

in the bios for fan speed, with it not running it just says n/a so i cant adjust anything on it

the psu may not be a good one, but its been working for 5 years, its ran sli, its running a gtx 260. its more than capable. it could be dying, however it does not make any logical sense to blame it for 1 slot on the motherboard not working and everything else running flawlessly

i have no other pcs to use either of the fans on
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2012 4:42:37 PM

Fans going crazy often points to a PSU problem. Maybe it isn't a PSU problem, but enough times you hear fan and PSU in the same sentence that it should at least be mentioned.

Additionally, 5 years is a bit over the average lifespan of PSUs that are routinely stressed. That is another reason that it should at least be mentioned.

A third reason, it is just very uncommon for this port on the motherboard to be DOA or to fail at some later time after it has already been working. On the other hand, when a computer has been working without problems for more than a year, the top two things that are likely to become problems first are PSUs and hard drives.

You can proceed as you like, but the Hyper 212 is a pretty stupid thing, all it does is take voltage in through the cables and spin the fan as fast as that voltage will allow. It is hard to mess that up. If you get a replacement Hyper 212 it will probably work exactly like the one you have now does. Still, if you are in the free replacement phase the cost is right on this test ($0).

The motherboard or the PSU, however, are more likely to be the cause in my experience. I would put the odds more on the PSU than the motherboard, myself, but if you have a gut feeling its the motherboard then go ahead and switch that out first.
m
l
October 23, 2012 5:06:29 PM

im not blaming the hyper 212, i figured its working fine.

i was just hoping there was an adapter or another way to run the 4 pin cpu fan included with it vs having to spend $100+ on a new psu or motherboard.

seems like it would be motherboard vs psu, if the psu is failing how is it 1 slot and nothing else. but thats why i came here for more experienced peoples opinion

recommendation for a psu?

EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Video Card - 896MB GDDR3
1tb hard drive
dvd drive
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2012 7:22:32 PM

You can try it, it might work.

Either way, neither the new PSU nor the new motherboard whichever way you decide to go should be another $100, more like $100 between them.
A full system with a GTX 260 is still only about 250w so something like Corsair CX 400 or XFX 450w is enough to power it and neither of those should be much past $50.

Low end AM3 motherboard is also only $50. Another $20 if your RAM doesn't work in it and you have to get another 4GBs.

Anyway, I would suggest trying harder to find a PC you can borrow parts from if it is the case that it will hurt your financial position a lot to buy the wrong component.
m
l
October 23, 2012 7:35:05 PM

the gtx 260 says:
Minimum of a 500 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 36 Amp Amps.)

neither of the power supplies u listed will support the gtx 260 unless im missing something
m
l
a b à CPUs
October 23, 2012 8:03:45 PM

The thing is, what is written on the labels is completely misleading to the average person.

The video card companies know this, so they list a requirement where they hope the worst possible PSU of that wattage will still be able to handle it.

The testing and labelling of PSUs isn't standardized and temperature plays a huge part in a PSUs capabilities. If a PSU is tested twice, once in Antarctica and again in the Sahara Desert, the amount of power it can provide will differ hugely between one test and the other.

For a 500w PSU the swing between the high and low might literally be 500w, with the Sahara Desert test showing 250w and the Antarctica test showing 750w.

On these boards, we only suggest people buy PSUs tested in conservative settings, like the ones I mentioned. The one you have now is tested in an aggressive setting, so both the ones I mentioned can reasonably be expected to be able to provide more power than your current Thermaltake 600w will at regular room temperatures.

You don't have to take my word for it, though, the Corsair CX500 and the XFX 550w are both fine according to the video card manufacturers and still pretty cheap.

On the other hand, here is a competent review using real world measuring hardware

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2619/9

that shows a full system with a GTX 260 pulling only about 260w at max load. Even if all of the power from the whole system were being sent to the video card, that would only be 21.666~7a. A solid PSU that can provide at least that amount on the 12vs would be more than enough to handle a GTX 260.

I haven't looked, but I am quite sure both of the PSUs I first mentioned can handle at least that much.
m
l
!